Game Streaming Services - Stadia, Geforce Now, xCloud, PS Now

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Mick

<Gold Donor>
Just got my invite.

"After January 15, you won't be able to access the game anymore or your saved progress and achievements. But until then, play as much as you want. To get you started, you'll have $10 of in-game currency to spend in the game (you won't be able to make additional purchases on your own)."

Mick

<Gold Donor>
Looks like this is a no go from Hawaii
1539830914007.png

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I wonder what kind bandwidth I'm sucking up playing this shit every night. I need to monitor that.

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'd really like to know the tech behind this. What information is being streamed. Is it video and input only, or is it some crazy culling algorithm?

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
I'd really like to know the tech behind this. What information is being streamed. Is it video and input only, or is it some crazy culling algorithm?
It's just video and input. All processing and rendering are done Google-side. Your video settings are locked, so your image quality is 100% dependent on what Google is sending to you and your bandwidth/latency. It plays great on my wired connection, but graphically it's a bit disappointing if you have a good rig.

The best thing about it is the loading times. It's insanely fast.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Got in and played around for a bit. Overall it was better than I expected, but still no substitute for a decent gaming PC. Couldn't find a way to make it borderless window and it frequently refused to let me alt-tab, which was a pain in the ass when logging in to my Ubisoft account in the game.

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It's just video and input. All processing and rendering are done Google-side. Your video settings are locked, so your image quality is 100% dependent on what Google is sending to you and your bandwidth/latency. It plays great on my wired connection, but graphically it's a bit disappointing if you have a good rig.

The best thing about it is the loading times. It's insanely fast.

So there is no input lag? I guess for something like AC its hard to notice. You'd have to play a fighter to really test out the input delay.

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
So there is no input lag? I guess for something like AC its hard to notice. You'd have to play a fighter to really test out the input delay.
Yeah I wouldn't think competitive twitch stuff like that would be ideal, but any delay one AC is imperceptible on my connection in the few hours I've put in.

spronk

FPS noob
google's gonna announce something at their big dev event March 19th, this is apparently a leaked image of the controller they will be using

image0.jpg

• Two pillars: streaming and a traditional home console, codename Metallurgy
  • Exclusive games using known IPs, funded by Google
  • Designed so games developed for the console will translate easily to streaming service
  • Streaming service will launch before the hardware
  • Currently planning two consoles, one weaker ("Steel") and one stronger ("Titanium")
    • "Steel" could be dropped because of production costs
    • "Titanium" is more powerful than Xbox One X
    • Sleep mode
  • Developers supporting the Google console:
    • Ubisoft
    • SEGA
    • Google's own first-party

feels like something google will fuck around with for 2 years then quietly abandon

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
google's gonna announce something at their big dev event March 19th, this is apparently a leaked image of the controller they will be using

image0.jpg

• Two pillars: streaming and a traditional home console, codename Metallurgy
  • Exclusive games using known IPs, funded by Google
  • Designed so games developed for the console will translate easily to streaming service
  • Streaming service will launch before the hardware
  • Currently planning two consoles, one weaker ("Steel") and one stronger ("Titanium")
    • "Steel" could be dropped because of production costs
    • "Titanium" is more powerful than Xbox One X
    • Sleep mode
  • Developers supporting the Google console:
    • Ubisoft
    • SEGA
    • Google's own first-party

feels like something google will fuck around with for 2 years then quietly abandon

That looks like the inbred cousin of the Xbox controller.

sadris

Karen
<Donor>
Would be nice to know the hardware it's running on. Could be great for playing CPU bound games like all of paradoxs stuff. Having to dump $800 on the fastest Intel cpu is getting lame.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
All I have done at work today is think about how nice it would be to stream Assassin's Creed Odyssey!