Monsters and Memories (Project_N) - Old School Indie MMO

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Ikkan

Molten Core Raider
I hope this turns into something but can't believe they're sharing anything yet. This feels like they bought one of the asset store mmo things and spent 15 minutes on art.
The guy in charge of the project, Shawn Lord(who was an ex EQ dev) regularly streams him working on the game on Twitch. It's nothing really new that's being "shared" if you watch the streams at all. They try to be incredibly upfront and transparent about what they're doing in order to get feedback from the community. I really like the approach.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

gugabuba

Golden Knight of the Realm
I guess that makes sense, and it sounds like there's an audience that finds following the process in detail interesting. I was reading it as marketing material or aimed at building enthusiasm.

• 1Like

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
I guess that makes sense, and it sounds like there's an audience that finds following the process in detail interesting. I was reading it as marketing material or aimed at building enthusiasm.
The project is probably only a month or two from the very first steps being taken. I don't think we've seen many projects sharing details this early. They're trying to make something fairly simple though so I expect the core loop to be in place pretty quickly at least.

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
Looks like they just got their website up. Check it out

Amod Amod can we add this URL to original post. Looks like I can't edit it anymore

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
Games been in development for 5 months. Could be vaporware but its made nearly as much progress as Pantheon did in 7 years so who knows. Eventually someone is gunna make an old school MMO and actually release it. Maybe its these guys

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Dandai

Lesco Brandon
<Gold Donor>
If they can maintain enthusiasm and desire to create an homage to classic MMORPGs, I could see them pulling this off. Keep in mind that EQ's gameplay was almost entirely taken from another game.

I read through the blog posts on their site and they appear to be savvy to the industry's jargon and are actually fleshing out concepts before going all in. Valheim demonstrated that modestly ambitious indie dev productions can be major hits if their creative passion is brought to life in a competent way.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
If they can maintain enthusiasm and desire to create an homage to classic MMORPGs, I could see them pulling this off. Keep in mind that EQ's gameplay was almost entirely taken from another game.

I read through the blog posts on their site and they appear to be savvy to the industry's jargon and are actually fleshing out concepts before going all in. Valheim demonstrated that modestly ambitious indie dev productions can be major hits if their creative passion is brought to life in a competent way.
Guy running this was an EQ dev from like Kunark to Luclin or something like that.

• 1Like

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
Updates from an email sent today. They've picked a title!

1622224046202.png

1622224059225.png

• 9Like
Reactions: 8 users

Elidroth

Trakanon Raider
Shawn is awesome. I'm going to play this for sure. Hell, I'd love to work on it too.. I've had a blast doing the interviews with him.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
There are absolutely zero things I dislike about Shawn & Project N.

That being said, I need answers...
Will M&M have light brown colors? I was sad when Mars removed them.

• 1Like

Mur

Trakanon Raider
Yes, super interested in this. I subbed to his stream when I first heard about this, Super cool/chill dude for sure, and I like his ideas. Really need to have a huge info bomb drop.

Coffeefan

Trakanon Raider
I watched Shawn's streams with former EQ devs. I like what he does and will definitely try M&M when they release it.

xmod2

<Gold Donor>
Kiting was an accidental game mechanic? How actually stupid were the EQ devs? I get there are always unintended side effects but any dipshit with more than 1 brain cell could see what snare effects would be used for.
The EQ devs being retards actually worked in their favor. Developers are too clever for their own good anymore. MMO players in particular always have an antagonistic relationship with the developers and, while being completely imbalanced power wise, should never 'feel' that way.

Look at current era WoW. Despite having some of the best story content, art assets, music and the finest autists designing their systems, it feels like a piece of soulless garbage. When you have a game that is so 'designed', you know that you will never discover anything that hasn't been fully intended by the developers for you to discover. You also know every single other player can and will discover it. The devs have too much power. You know immediately if you find anything that gives you an advantage, it'll be sandblasted to a fucking smooth sphere immediately. Meanwhile, complaints about systems, classes, etc have to wait until the next major content patch or expansion to be addressed.

When players discover a weird mechanic that you didn't intend (pet tanking Sarth3d, splitting camps, kiting, etc) your first response should be appreciation that your game is being played beyond your intended design. It shouldn't be to immediately 'fix' the problems (unless they're actual problems) or, worse, 'formalize' the system like WoW does.

• 8Like
Reactions: 7 users

WorryPlaysGames

Blackwing Lair Raider
It used to be this thread:

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
How many games with an ampersand in it have been successful? They're all trying to mimic D&D acronym.

• 1Picard