Puerto Rico

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Kedwyn

Silver Squire

Gadrel_sl

shitlord
We're staying for 8 days. The rum factory and el castillo are on our list of things to see, as are la fortaleza and el morro. Right now we're planning on flying into Vieques and staying there for 3-4 days, then heading to San Juan for the remainder. Vieques looks beautiful and we're excited to go 4-wheeling in search of the nice beaches.

Other than the sites previously mentioned the only thing we found that looked interesting in San Juan were the restaurants on Fortaleza street. That and salsa dancing.

As far as safety goes, my girl and I both speak fluent Spanish, and according to the FBI UCR stats, San Juan has half the violent/property crimes of the city we live in. That's kind of fucking sad. :/

Cybsled

I used to be friends with a guy from there. He used to warn that you should never use the gambling machines in local spots ;p

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
I won 2k last time walking into the hotel from a slot in the lobby @ Hilton in Fajardo =p

@Gadrel you will be fine, its like anywhere in the world if you use common sense. There is one VERY bad area of PR and its literally in the middle of el Morro and San Juan and its called La Perla. You would have to be a fool to drive into its only entrance guarded by military police and a lot of DEA. You can see it clearly though if you want a look from any of the towers at El Morro.

I can recommend a for sure spot you should visit when you arrive in PR for breakfast / lunch called Kasalta Bakery. You can get a good idea of how the early day food is from there. The typical breakfast is coffee & sweet bread pressed with real ham & cheese then covered in powdered sugar. You can also just get it plain or however you like. We have some weird shit going on with some of the food but its good. Our national sauce no lie is fancy sauce, its ketchup and mayo and served at every restaurant and sold bottled in the grocery stores. Another place that is really good for dinner and cheap is next to the national cock fighting arena in San Juan, its 5m from the airport. I forget the name but its so fucking good, you wont be dissapointed and you can see our lovely sport of cock fighting after dinner.

Besides the touristy things I would also recommend seeing the luminescent bay at night in Fajardo. You could do an early morning trip to Luquillo, which is known for its beaches and kiosk type shops that serve liqour, fried foods, and ceviches. It will be packed early with almost a hundred shops to choose from all with an incredible view. Everyone drinks Medalla beer or OJ + Vodka, people drink Finlandia Vodka like it came from Jesus's hands himself in Puerto Rico.

After breakfast I would go into the rainforest El Yunque and do it all, definetly drive or go near the top and see our tropical waterfalls. The view, waterfalls, and hikes are incredible with the ocean below you and you in a jungle. I like to take friends to the Hippy Waterfalls if you want specifics, you can hike up caves and waterfalls from there and spend the rest of the day doing crazy shit. A lot of locals go there and are friendly, youll be amazed the height and places they jump from.

After that I would at night goto the bioluminescent bay in Fajardo. All of these above are about 30-45m away from San Juan and on the Northeast side of the island. The bay has guys non small boats who will take you out at night (its illegal but no one cares). You can jump into the water or throw shells and watch it explode in colors. Its really beautiful to see no matter how many times ive seen it.

If you want to also see a gem we dont have here in the US where I am there is also Sizzler in PR and Ponderosa.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user
We have a few places there that we rent and I can say Krassus is spot on. Look for a rental in Palmas del Mar on vrbo.com you can sometimes negotiate better deals depending on the owner's calendar. Kayaking the bio bay in Fajardo is pretty cool. Orocovis has an incredible zip line set up, where if you are lucky, you will emerge from the clouds over a river that is 400-500 feet below. I should dig up my video. Oh and don't use signals when you drive as that just tells other drivers what you want to do and they will try to stop you...aggresive driving in other words. Hope you have a great time.

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
Damn I didnt mention Palmas Del Mar but that is where we always stay when we go. Ive had friends find rentals dirt cheap to stay with us and everything in the property is nice. There is really good restaurtants there too including a badass Sushi one. Yelp also is pretty spot on about the restaurants, another one I forgot about you have to do is called Hamburgesa and its on the cliffs leading up to El Morro from el Capitalio. You cant miss it because its right on the street / ocean and there will be a line for their burgers.

One other thing is you can also buy liqour in PR you cannot buy in the continental US. If you drink I would strongly recommend buying some of those brands like Bacardi 12, Johnny Walker Swing etc. Not only is it 1/4th of the price you would pay on the net you cant even really get them in the US. There is a duty free in the airport I always stop by and have my friends also who arent buying buy 2 bottles to bring back.

Hope you have fun, let me know if you need any other specifics or anything there. There is so much to do in PR, you are going to have a blast on accident.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Is the bioluminescent bay still a thing? A lot of recent reviews say it's not worth the price now. Fucking climate change.

Zaara

I'm With HER ♀
Is the bioluminescent bay still a thing? A lot of recent reviews say it's not worth the price now. Fucking climate change.

The really good bays are not readily tourist-accessible. We drove a good hour+ away from Bayamon proper and ended up in a place I don't know the name of, and it was totally a local/undeveloped operation. Run down dinghies, shitty little bar infront selling 4 dollar cocktails in plastic cups. But the bay itself was fucking phenomenal.

Granted this was about 7 years ago, can't speak to the quality of the place now.

RE: El Yunque. Park's a great day trip. There are several local beaches where there's cheap-as-hell drinks right on the water, and a great view of the rainforest/mountain.

RE: Other spots. It's a whole lot of effort (you gotta get up at 5 am or so for the morning shuttle if you're taking the boat from Fajardo,) but if you end up down on the east end consider taking the boat to Culebra for a day. There's one tourist beach that is accessible easily from the landing town, and it's a 1-2 hour hike to most other spots on the island. There is a trail that leads off from the parking lot at the tourist beach that will bring you to some gorgeous and secluded beaches where you won't see another soul.

Last edited: