Punch Brothers - The Phosphorescent Blues

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
One of my favorite bands. Progressive bluegrass rooted in tradition more than Bela Fleck. Chris Thile, the band leader, might be the world's greatest mandolin player - the dude won a MacArthur grant due to his playing. It's a no strings attached $500,000 grant. Given out to people deemed geniuses. Very creative song-writing. Odd structure. Amazing talent in this band.

Phosphorescent Blues is a bit more classical than the previous couple albums. It isn't quite what I was expecting, but it's still really fucking good and will undoubtedly grow on me. If you ever get a chance to see these guys live I highly recommend it. That's where they really shine. Perfection.

Barellron

Trakanon Raider
Punch Brothers are all absurdly skilled individuals and their work has always been strong but slightly schizophrenic; lots of standout tracks but lacking cohesion across an album.
That being said, this album is a goddamn masterpiece and has been on heavy rotation since leak. The first track is 10+ minutes long and engaging the whole way through, could stand as an album on its own. Going to see them towards the end of the month.