Question on really low budget movies

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Quick question. On certain sites (...) you see listings for movies that are just crap. All no name celebs, stupid premises, and no distribution. I mean they're so bad that you don't see them in movie stores to buy straight to DVD, etc, but they're made and you just never hear about them. My question is, what is the advantage to making these types of movies? And it's hard to imagine they get their production costs back, etc. I'd imagine they hope they're making the next "Blair Witch Project" or "Catfish" type success, but I can't see other reasons why they would. Any ideas from you theater savvy people?

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
There's tons of people in Hollywood that are trying to make movies. Some of them are able to convince someone with money that it's worth giving them a shot. The big movies pay for the little ones. I've heard Adam Carolla talk a lot about making his movie "The Hammer" and it had a budget of 1 million and came close to breaking even since he was able to sell the DVD on his podcast. Even if the movie doesn't make money, it's a way to develop actors/directors/etc.

wamphyr

Molten Core Raider
I am by no means amongst the "theater savvy people", but I think there are three reasons for making this kind of movies: Pussy, Ego and Taxes.

1. Pussy > "I am a movie producer, please, let me show you this couch" - A bigger investment than going to the hookers, but better results.
2. Ego > "I am the best movie producer ever, I have this great ideea for a movie, I will make it happen, I will show them"... some of them even succed.
3. Taxes - well, you just don't pay income taxes for expenses.

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
Why do people do anything? They have a vision and a credit card, what more do you need?

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
I worked on films for a few years and the projects I was on ranged from a $50K budget up to $1mill.
I'm not privy to the financials but I do not think any of the movies were a complete loss, some may have had a small loss, some may have even made a profit.

The majority of the films are Horror and they typically turn profits since there is such a strong fanbase for horror films, even shitty ones.

Independent films do not distribute on their own. The goal is to get it into festivals and advertise it to distributors. The distributors buy the movie or buy distribution rights, it depends on the deal. There are an infinite number of possible ways to negotiate the sale of a film. You can sell distribution rights for just DVD or just online Streaming or On-Demand or Netflix. You could sell ownership of the whole film which would get you back most of your money (hopefully). You could negotiate for royalties on sales.

Examples:
  • Shitty movies have little power. A distributor could offer to purchase ownership of the entire shitty film at a price much less than it cost to make the movie. Desperate producers might choose to sell the movie to recoup some of their cost. The producers take a loss on the project.
  • Less-shitty movies might sell ownership but could negotiate for some royalties from sales. The initial purchase price would be less then the cost to make the movie but the producers could hope it sells well and might break-even or make a profit.
  • Shitty-but-watchable movies might be able to sell just distribution rights and retain the ownership of the film. They could negotiate with several distributors for the varying media outlets (TV/DVD/Online/On-Demand). If the film becomes a smash hit they still have the rights for merchandising and sequels.
  • Good movies would be able to retain ownership as well as get royalties from sales.

A distributor buys these films with the intent to make a profit. It is their whole business. A common thing is to sell DVDs but nowadays it is even more popular to offer it On-Demand or through Netflix. There are tons of people that browse On-Demand/Netflix videos and watch them, even without much knowledge from advertising.

Studios get involved too (they all have their independent labels ie: Fox Searchlight). A studio will put the film in theaters and will advertise the shit out of the film. Studios will pocket every dime if they can but everyone that worked on the film can now step into the big leagues and work on A++ films. You will still make money but the studios will make more --- they will also spend a fortune more than you spent to create the movie, just on advertising.

---

First film I worked on had a $200k budget and was a drama. I thought the movie was shit tbh but I guess it won some awards at festivals and it even made it into Sundance. Making it into Sundance is kind of a big deal. I'm not sure if it ever got sold to a distribution company but I'm guessing they printed some DVDs and sold a few. I consider it a break-even movie at best.

After that I worked primarily on Horrors and I believe all have broken even or made profit.

The largest film I worked on was a Horror with a $1mill budget and it can be rented On-Demand. I believe Netflix purchased the rights to it for 500 or 600K but the producers are getting a royalty every time a DVD is sold and every time it is viewed On-Demand or through Netflix. It has been 4 years since it was made, I believe it was sold to Netflix 2 years ago and I doubt it's recouped its cost yet.

It can take many years to put a film through the festival circuits and eventually find a buyer. You might even need to go back and re-shoot or re-edit the film to make it better before it can be sold.

Independent movie business is tough and not for the feint of the heart. I was a grunt collecting a weekly check. The producers sink money into the project hoping for the best but you would have better luck putting it all on Red at a roulette table.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
i thought shitty low budget films are the entry level shit actors/directors/film people do to start up their resumes. vert few people get the lead in a 200 million dollar film as their first role. everyone comes from somewhere and everyone in the biz wants to go somewhere else so a little debt making a low budget crapstick like blair witch or paranormal activity can lead to great things. also film festivals like cannes and tribeca are the tryouts for the big leagues. if you do well there, chances are you will be hearing from a major movie studio about distributing your film, which is your foot in the door.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
i thought shitty low budget films are the entry level shit actors/directors/film people do to start up their resumes. vert few people get the lead in a 200 million dollar film as their first role. everyone comes from somewhere and everyone in the biz wants to go somewhere else so a little debt making a low budget crapstick like blair witch or paranormal activity can lead to great things. also film festivals like cannes and tribeca are the tryouts for the big leagues. if you do well there, chances are you will be hearing from a major movie studio about distributing your film, which is your foot in the door.
Shitty low budget films are mostly entry level, this is true. I would say anything 75k or less budget is primarily for a resume.

Someone has to pony up the cash and nobody is going to spend huge sums on a resume piece.

There are tons of rich fucks that fund films just because of ego. These films might have budgets in the 100s of thousands. The producer is definitely not in it for a resume piece, he is already a rich fuck. The only reason anyone else is attached would be for resume and a paycheck. Most people that work on films, including actors, are in it for a weekly paycheck, just like anyone else that goes to work everyday. Most actors won't make millions of dollars and crew members make the equivalent of most other union labor jobs.

The original question was why make them. This means exec producers. This means the person with the money funding the project. The exec producers are rarely in it for a resume piece. If they are funding films then they have the dough already. They either do it for ego, profit, fun or pussy. There are 2 types of producers. The "executive producers" fund the project, and "producers" actually spend the cash and get it made. A "producer" might attach themselves to a project for the resume & paycheck, just like any other crew member of the film.

Most films you can find on DVD were made with a budget over 100k, no matter how shitty it might seem, some serious cash was spent to make it.

I've heard of short films costing 50k+.

There are plenty of kids in film school with rich parents sinking a ton of cash (20,50,100k+) into shitty short (and long) films for their final college project. They get free labor and actors through the school, too.

Some of these might make their way to DVD.

Szlia

From the point of view of a subsidized film industry like it is the case in most of Europe, funding a movie is all about getting a cut of the many different subsidizing sources.

In Switzerland for instance, you can apply for a writing subsidy with a synopsis. When you have a script you can hit the city/ies and state(s) the movie will be shot in (or where the crew/production company is) for their cultural subsidies as well as federal subsidies. You can also hit some private sources like national TV channels (I think they are legally bound to spend some of their budget on national movie production - comes with some minor strings attached as far as TV broadcasting goes), Lotteries (legally bound to reinvest some of their benefits in culture) or retail giant Migros (the socially conscious version of Walmart, which is, among many things, spending willingly 1% of its revenue - ! - on cultural projects). Note that it's a bit like a domino effect, as if you get money from a source, you can use it as an argument to get money from others.

Once this is done, you have your budget mostly covered or you adjust your movie budget based on what you could gather. There is no worries and no risk at this point because the money is given to you and you don't have to pay it back (other countries though use an 'advance on benefits' system where you have to pay them back if you make money, but owe them nothing if you don't). In fact, once the movie is done, it's often better to just put in on a shelf and avoid the hassle of releasing it... Since it's a bit absurd, there are also subsidies for the manufacture of film prints (well... now DCP) to encourage you to actually release the movie!

This whole system allows to artificially maintain a film industry with a small group of professionals (artists, technicians and producers) and attract a number of international co-productions. There is some good and bad with this situation. The good is that it creates a cultural industry that is divorced from the imperatives of capitalism, it is freer, not forced to please. It also help keep alive a sector important for the cultural life, the life of ideas, that could hardly live by itself in such a small country as Switzerland. The bad is that the quality of the final product hardly matters in the equation, so the cultural impact, both domestic and abroad is close to non-existent (there are some national hits and some good movies, but hardly any reach an international audience). So that is also a source of shitty movies: badly designed subvention system.

NB: I have not been involved in the swiss film industry for a long while (I gave some friends a hand here and there in some small scale - but subsidized - art and film projects), so things might have changed, but the general idea is likely the same.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
From the point of view of a subsidized film industry like it is the case in most of Europe, funding a movie is all about getting a cut of the many different subsidizing sources.
Interesting.
biggrin.png

I know in the US the key is to get as many tax breaks as possible. My best friend is a film producer and he's shooting most of his recent stuff in Georgia right now. I don't know all the details but apparently Georgia has a lot of incentives & tax breaks atm. It seems to vary year-to-year because I've shot films in Connecticut, New York & Massachusetts and we took advantage of various incentives each time. I've only ever experienced the LA scene once and the film was primarily shot in Louisiana for the incentives going on in that state at the time (pre-Katarina) only post-production stuff occurred in LA @ Warner Bros backlot.