Ragnarok

Qhue

Trump's Staff
4.00 star(s) Rating: 4.00/5 1 Vote
Title: Ragnarok

Genre: Drama, Action & Adventure

First aired: 2020-01-31

Creator: Adam Price

Cast: Theresa Frostad Eggesbø, David Alexander Sjøholt, Jonas Strand Gravli, Herman Tømmeraas, Emma Bones

Overview: A small Norwegian town experiencing warm winters and violent downpours seems to be headed for another Ragnarök -- unless someone intervenes in time.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Watched this over the last few days and it was alright. Was hoping for something a bit heavier on the mysticism and less on the environmentalism but it was still a decent teen-gets-superpowers-and-it-wrecks-his-life sort of show. I get the impression they are leaving themselves a great many possible hooks for follow-up seasons as there are obvious plot elements they don't fully explore as well as some interesting one off lines that could be a key to something else entirely.

Thats not to say the show is perfect, far from it. There are more than a few logical inconsistencies woven into the general premise and it suffers a lot from the old tropes about the hero suffering because he's keeping his powers secret for some Inane reason.

And as always with these International Netflix shows you have to watch it in the native language with subtitles. The dubbing studio they use for all of these transcends terrible into a whole new realm of suffering.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Shows in their native languages are always better. There is a lot lost in translation and sometimes teh dub actors just plain suck.

Campbell1oo4

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Just finished Episode 4, and I have to say that I like this show.

I really want to love it, but as Qhure said about, it doesn't wade heavily enough on the mysticism. Norse legends are amazing for their humanity (irony intended) and I think this show captures it well. What little mysticism it puts in is enough to get you into it, but not enough to satisfy you.

So perhaps it is better that they only give you a little? If that is the case then I'd like to see more of this show, perhaps focusing on different legends/myths/heroes.

For the others who have seen the show (or don't give a shit about spoilers) can we talk about how awesome these two scenes were?

Magne throwing the fucking sledgehammer and invoking a lightning storm?

Magne ripping open the dog's jaws, killing the fucking thing and painting his face in its blood?

• 1Solidarity

Guurn

<Bronze Donator>
Maybe the 2 most disappointing things were how cucked everyone was and, and this is the clear number1, his brother didn't become Loki. It's clear he is perfect for it. His mother was ...disappointing at best. Overall an ok show that i wanted to love. Oh yeah, the principal was a Charlise Theron clone.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Laurits is clearly Loki and almost certainly the love child of Vidar hence why he was so in tune with the Jutul when they were doing their weird dance thing.

I also think the other transfer student who came to town is a god of some kind. She seemed to be on the same wavelength as Maybe and saw through Saxa instantly.

I suspect we will see more elements woven in during future seasons.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
I am seriously beyond jelly of how fucking awesome the Jotun mansion was, like holy shit I've never been so mad in my life I'm not turbo rich.

Show is like a C+, pretty bad a trope-y most of the time, with a few flashes of brilliance here and there.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This was pretty good. It is obvious that they have a more limited budget than most hero shows. I did like the Hammer...Car...scene.

• 1Solidarity

Butthurt

<Nazi Janitors>
Maybe the 2 most disappointing things were how cucked everyone was and, and this is the clear number1, his brother didn't become Loki. It's clear he is perfect for it. His mother was ...disappointing at best. Overall an ok show that i wanted to love. Oh yeah, the principal was a Charlise Theron clone.
Have you seen the second season yet?

Caliane

I guess I never commented on this?

yeah, its ok. never steps up to great. but, worth a watch.

yeah, Norwegian countries are going through the same white guilt attacks we are. greta's etc... not sure how the people are handling it, but their media is sure cucking hard.

the mom in this is pretty lulz, in terms of just being constantly a wet blanket. its a bit frustrating how, this pulls the same, get superpowers, tell no one. or, even "tell people" but don't actuall prove it to your friends/family.. Magne seems kindof mongaloid in the first season... did not love him in that. got a bit better in s2.

s2 is pretty bad with characters. most of them, are all over the place. no steady character motivations.

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
So I found this today with my family at the beach and watched both seasons. I liked it way more than most, apparently: I thought it was really pretty good. It has some jank which I attributed to EU-ness as well as fairly low budget. If lightning and CGI eyes are your two biggest effects, you're fairly low effort. Otherwise it was good, other than the
Superman 2 turn it takes in Season 2 after Magne kills Vidar; I understand it can be traumatic but this due murdered your only friend to start the show, killed your dad, and was about to kill your brother; he has already probably killed you in the past and is planning on doing it again in the next month
. It's B-B+. The whole "Climate" BS was stupid as well when it was clearly a local industry pollution issue rather than a "Climate Change" issue.

Will agree there are a couple of character moments that rang out of "plot devices" but it mostly works by its own rules.

Caliane

The climate change stuff was really a head scratcher for me. you'd think Immortals, would care MORE about environmental change, then mortals who won't live long enough to see the effects.

• 1Like

Caliane

S3 started up today.

this season is narrated by Saxa in the past tense for some reason.
Just one episode in. already a lesbian married couple. no inexplicable complete about faces on loyalties yet like s2..

edit: nope. saxa is flipped back to evil, and magne also is suddenly symbiote spiderman evil. also more relationship drama.

Last edited:

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
That was a weak ending and a bit strange.

It was almost as though they were saying none of it happened. It was in the main character's mind all along? It was either that or they decided to show what would have happened if they went to war? It was a very odd ending. I liked the premise of the show where giants and gods still existed but season 3 went off the rails.

TV show information provided by The Movie Database