Rakka (2017)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
5.00 star(s) Rating: 5.00/5 1 Votes
Title: Rakka (2017)

Genre: Action, Science Fiction

Director: Neill Blomkamp

Cast: Sigourney Weaver, Eugene Khumbanyiwa, Robert Hobbs, Carly Pope, Brandon Auret, Mike Huff, Jay Anstey, Alec Gillis

Release: 2017-06-14

Runtime: 22

Plot: "Rakka" is the story of broken humanity following the invasion of a technologically superior alien species. Bleak harrowing and unrelenting, the humans we meet must find enough courage to go on fighting.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Neill Blomkamp is going to be making a series of short films that he'll distribute on steam to test the waters for feature films on the platform. Looks pretty cool.

spronk

FPS noob
Geoff Keighley talks with Neal Blomkamp at E3 yesterday about this stuff

The E3 panel with Hideo Kojima is also good, its with the director of Kong Skull Island and he is apparently trying to make a Metal Gear solid movie (wut)

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
This was cool as shit. I like this format for Blomkamp, he can explore ideas and create worlds without doing all the exposition/moral storytelling that makes him trip over his own dick.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
We know Blomkamp is a terrible screenwriter (still he co-writes this project) but probably did not go Lucas style and listened to people around him.
That was pretty cool, short, and neat. And i see Sigourney is now the go-to actress for his projects. Nice!

PS: that dude was wearing a Slayer jacket right? Fuck yeah! \m/

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cybsled

He had planned to use Sigourney in his Aliens sequel, but now that is RIP.

This is actually a more realistic version of conquering aliens. Given what we now know about space (ie, water is everywhere, resources are everywhere, and planets aren't that rare), the only reason an invading alien race would spend the resources to get here is because they want a planet that is close enough to their world that they can either live here straight up or a minimal amount of terraforming would be needed to suit it to their needs. Complete atmospheric terraforming would eventually kill off most of the indigenous life in the long term, so in the meantime they cull most of the population and find uses for the remaining ones they don't choose to kill.

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
I want to know more about the saviour in the chapter one.

anyone know. this shit is too real and amazing...

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Didn't really catch this right away, but this youtube comment makes sense:

upload_2017-6-20_21-53-12.png

Seems obvious looking back at the way the goo was used throughout the short, but I didn't put it together immediately.

So the savior thing likely an opposing sort of light alien force against the dark alien force, maybe following it to earth. Seemed like they just dead-ended that part of the story in the short though.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
Didn't really catch this right away, but this youtube comment makes sense:

So the savior thing likely an opposing sort of light alien force against the dark alien force, maybe following it to earth. Seemed like they just dead-ended that part of the story in the short though.
holy shit...this story is epic...

take my moneyyyyy

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Good stuff. I'd watch a two hour + movie this style. Very little character all macro level narrator style storytelling.

Also that youtube comment has to be 100% correct.

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
Yeah I don't understand, I was waiting for Angels to come down and shit all over a bunch of Iksar.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah I don't understand, I was waiting for Angels to come down and shit all over a bunch of Iksar.

I assume if these are popular popular enough he'd just keep making more of the same story, eventually having like 6 of these to form create a free form 'movie' type medium?

Pretty fun stuff, I like it.

Cybsled

Human monks > Iksar monks anyways. Fucking scrub lizards.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users
Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database