Raven's Shadow - Anthony Ryan

Vlett

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'm about half way through. Doesn't come close to the first book, but I'm hoping anything unexpected happens for act 3.

Seventh

Golden Squire
Got about 10% into it last night and... Well, I can't remember what the fuck is going on at all, heh. I read a ton of other books between the last one and this one, and he really doesn't give any sort of summary at all. Going to have to zip through the last bit of book 2 and restart it.

Lusiphur

Peasant
The second was such a disappointment after the first I am not sure I have the will for the third (and there is plenty else to read). Btw his Slab City Blues novellas are pretty good.

Seventh

Golden Squire
I'm trying to soldier on through this one after skimming the last bit of book 2.

...It's not very good bros.
frown.png

Voldeth

Trakanon Raider
I finished reading it. It was pretty bad. Not quite book 2 bad but still pretty bad.

Seventh

Golden Squire
I finished book 3. Best I can summarize it is "an extremely well written disappointment". Dude can write his ass off but man, what the fuck.:\

Seventh

Golden Squire
It finishes it off for the most part, but the door is left open for some more books in the same world. The main story arc is all done though.

I'd read the follow-ups, only because I think Ryan can still write his ass off, he just really needed an editor to help him out on this one in terms of the storyline. Someone should have stepped in and told him that his outline was lousy, and that you don't introduce like two dozen new generic-fantasy-named characters in the third book of a trilogy. Crappy plot aside, I spent a good deal of time thinking "Who the fuck is this person again?"

And shit, I read Malazan twice. I like to think that I can keep up with a big cast.

Himeo

Vyemm Raider
I got around to finishing this trilogy a few months back.

The first book is A+.

The second book is a solid D.

The third book is a solid piece of shit that clogs up your toilet like cement, requiring you to hire a contractor to tear out the plumbing to fix it.

Also, the next Sorna book is coming out in Summer of 2019 if anyone cares. He's written a bunch of other books, is there any hope that he can recreate the magic of Book 1?

Last edited: