Red Dead Redemption 2

Brad2770

Knowing they aren’t doing anything else with online saddens me. They had teased adding Mexico at one point abs I was really looking forward to seeing that redone for PS4/5

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Randin

Trakanon Raider
Can't say I had much trouble with the controls either. Granted, I'm also the type that walks in towns, which cuts down of having a lynch mob form because you bumped someone quite a bit.

The story was great, and so much of the rest of the game just being a Cowboy Simulator resulted in something that was firmly in my wheelhouse. Need more historical sandbox simulator games in this vein.

I have seen complaints online about just how aggressively controlled and linear the story missions can be, and I can't really argue against that. But really, my only major complaint about the game was how it did collectables. Not a huge fan of padding open-world games with collectables to begin with, but making them hard to see, off the beaten path, and having no in-game method to narrow down the search was just needlessly frustrating. And that taxidermy hunting side-mission was just the fucking worst.

pysek

It Didn't Happen, It Should've, and It Will.
<Gold Donor>
Knowing they aren’t doing anything else with online saddens me. They had teased adding Mexico at one point abs I was really looking forward to seeing that redone for PS4/5
This is why I have so much trouble playing the SP. Not the damn controls. It feels like R* learned a lot from GTA and the online experience and baked in a LOT of systems to be opened like petals in online for years to come. Think about it. I haven't played SP for years but off the top of my head:

Train robbing
Bank robbing
Each town has one store with an illicit enterprise in it
Bathing
Ranching, like full on ranching with multiple ways that could be converted into its own entire profession,
Time lapse buildings
Home building in general

I'm sure I'm missing a lot but it all felt so cool and deliberate. And I think about how all that could easily be used in online even with just GTA as a guide, nevermind what an actual creative team (lol) could do with those building blocks. Every time I try to play SP this is all I see - a gutshot of wasted potential and it sucks and saps the enjoyment for me. Oh well.

• 2Like

Brad2770

This is why I have so much trouble playing the SP. Not the damn controls. It feels like R* learned a lot from GTA and the online experience and baked in a LOT of systems to be opened like petals in online for years to come. Think about it. I haven't played SP for years but off the top of my head:

Train robbing
Bank robbing
Each town has one store with an illicit enterprise in it
Bathing
Ranching, like full on ranching with multiple ways that could be converted into its own entire profession,
Time lapse buildings
Home building in general

I'm sure I'm missing a lot but it all felt so cool and deliberate. And I think about how all that could easily be used in online even with just GTA as a guide, nevermind what an actual creative team (lol) could do with those building blocks. Every time I try to play SP this is all I see - a gutshot of wasted potential and it sucks and saps the enjoyment for me. Oh well.

Don’t forget the train yard that goes up near Blsckwater in between RDR2 and RDR. They had teased landscapes and towns changing.

• 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 user

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Why did they give up on RDR2 so fast though? It's like of course it's not performing as well as GTA5 but if you don't put the effort in you're not going to get shit out of it either. It's like they sealed the deal on their own fate.

Seananigans

Potato del Grande
<Screenshotted>
Unpopular opinion: This is a bad game with a great story, atmosphere, setting, and voice cast. The controls are really rough, first of all, and the balance is basically all over the place. The horse is borderline retarded and some of the missions are just plain flat luck. Plus that whole island sequence did not need to exist.

What saves it is the great story telling experience and voice acting. The epilogue in particular is amazing as a lead up to RDR1. For all the effort they spent on story and atmopshere, they could have tightened up the horse AI and the controls.

I bought this on sale largely because this thread kept getting bumped and people here were raving about how cool it was.

I played some of the intro but fucking hell, it just feels so bad. Not sure I'll go back to it any time soon.

• 1Truth!

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
The Intro is very linear and rough. The game really opens up in the first and second chapters, but slowly narrows down from there as the gang slides into shittier and shittier situations. Its not a happy or uplifting ending in any sense, but the story telling is great and the open world aspects (minus the controls) are very engaging. That first slog over the snowed in mountains is bummer city, though.

• 2Like

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Anyone have an interest in a PC key for $13? Accidentally bought an extra and I obviously can't return it.

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
Necroing: this game kinda sucks, it like a horse riding psuedo 1800s america simulation. It’s Cowboy Sim City. There’s lots of stuff that they do right but, theres no game in this game. It’s more like a story that has you travel to each plot point.

The mechanics are shit, all the guns feel the same, the aiming is arbitrarily easy, I straddle between feeling like a god that can mow down an army of men, and getting fucked up by a hobo that brings a knife to a fist fight (the second part being realistic). The controls are shit, and overly complicated, they add steps to add what they think is depth but its just tedium.

There doesn’t feel like any character stat growth, or any strategy to make. You can have all the guns if you want fairly early, and they’re all whatever.

People talk about immersion. I’m not trying to be immersed, I’m trying to play a game, enjoy it for a hot second and go back to reality. Not run away and live in some pixels. The prettiest visuals in this game, are still just fake versions of real things, that you can see in real life, why does it have to be in a video game for you to appreciate it? Again there’s no game in this game. The stupid missions, you can fail a mission after completing a mission because you broke a leash, its an open world game and your forcing immediate conclusions to every script… ughh, which by the way, just force the cutscene then, don’t give me the option to fuck-off when the mission is extensibly over

This game isn't for people who want to play a 'game', it's for people that want a temporary hidey-hole from reality, a refuge, because they're not getting it from real life. Yes, theirs a lot of story, some of it good, much of it just slathered on exposition. Fucking' exposition, exposition, exposition...I'm glad you can kill most everyone.

Last edited:
  • 2Moron
  • 1Salty
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 5 users

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I never got into the game. Think I got to the first little town, did a few missions, and it never grabbed me. Not even sure how many years ago that was.

• 2Like

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
I never got into the game. Think I got to the first little town, did a few missions, and it never grabbed me. Not even sure how many years ago that was.
Really its disappointing, I bought it a while back, tried it, didn’t like it.

Got injured training, so decided to pick it up and give it another try while my hip healed. Since the RE4 remake isn’t on sale yet, and also wanted play something new.

I like the setting, I like the art style, I’m fine that there isn’t any quick travel…I do not understand what part of the game is meant to feel like a game, versus a simulation, it just feels like I’m meant to RP with a bunch of NPCs or something, but I don’t feel like I’m playing a game, I feel like I’m watching a tv series, where I have to do my best to paint by numbers to the next cutscene.

Also why the fuck can’t I get a Poncho, is that cultural appropriation or some fucking bull shit???

Chris

Potato del Grande
Necroing: this game kinda sucks, it like a horse riding psuedo 1800s america simulation. It’s Cowboy Sim City.

This game isn't for people who want to play a 'game', it's for people that want a temporary hidey-hole from reality, a refuge, because they're not getting it from real life.
So you bought an escapist cowboy simulator, but are unhappy that it's a cowboy simulator only suitable for escapism?

I thought it was pretty good, combat got a bit silly when you are mowing down 100s of people and you just press up a little from the autoaim to headshot people.

I think I noped out when you are mowing down the cowboy hordes from a hot air balloon... but I got what I paid for and I got my monies worth... will finish it one day.

Warr

<Bronze Donator>
It was certainly good, and I finished it, but I had no urge to plat it or get 100%, or probably ever play it again, if that makes any sense.

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Thats really my only complaint, is the 100 enemies thing.

Its so ridiculous at some points, it almost breaks immersion. Games should try to somehow find a balance between the number of enemies you encounter and progression. Killing someone should be consequential, when you shoot 3 dudes in a farmhouse after a dispute went south, it should be a harrowing affair that forced you to use cover/items/tactics in order to come out on top. When you kill 86 dudes during a side mission its like, ok so I just killed every young abled bodied male within 25 miles of here, I guess Im like, a mass murderer now?

Its just so out of hand. I can see killing hundreds of zombies, or wererats, or ghouls etc, but when you have a story driven 3rd person shooter, maybe try to make killing someone have some kind of impact. When you kill 140 men during a train robbery, its like...who gives a fuck. Killing an enemy after that becomes trivial and the game suffers for it.

I dont know how you solve it, as difficulty alone isnt enough. I think you can just balance the progression like I said, and then try to find ways to occupy the players time besides murdering.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Thats really my only complaint, is the 100 enemies thing.

Its so ridiculous at some points, it almost breaks immersion. Games should try to somehow find a balance between the number of enemies you encounter and progression. Killing someone should be consequential, when you shoot 3 dudes in a farmhouse after a dispute went south, it should be a harrowing affair that forced you to use cover/items/tactics in order to come out on top. When you kill 86 dudes during a side mission its like, ok so I just killed every young abled bodied male within 25 miles of here, I guess Im like, a mass murderer now?

Its just so out of hand. I can see killing hundreds of zombies, or wererats, or ghouls etc, but when you have a story driven 3rd person shooter, maybe try to make killing someone have some kind of impact. When you kill 140 men during a train robbery, its like...who gives a fuck. Killing an enemy after that becomes trivial and the game suffers for it.

I dont know how you solve it, as difficulty alone isnt enough. I think you can just balance the progression like I said, and then try to find ways to occupy the players time besides murdering.

So people are complaining it's too realistic and life simulator, but also too action video game-y

• 1Worf