Refrigerators

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Seems like we have a thread for just about every type of product, but not refrigerators yet.

We just bought a house that we'll hopefully be closing on in a few weeks, but it has no fridge. Reading refrigerator reviews are the worst as it seems like almost no one is happy with theirs. They are all loud, leak, break, etc.

I'm looking for a french door model, under 36" width, in the sub-$2,200 or so range; preferably with a water dispenser. So far the only model I can find with reviews that aren't "it broke in 3 months" is theWhirlpool WRX735SDBM. The only problem with this one is that it apparently runs at like 50-60 dB constantly. At this point, I'm thinking it's worth it to have one that won't break even if it runs noisy. That said, I'm hoping someone on here knowsanythingabout refrigerators and can recommend one that isn't a piece of shit.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
My father has a french door Samsung(the kind with the big drawer freezer at the bottom). It's shit the bed twice already in 5 years, $800 repair each time. The ice maker also constantly locks/freezes up, and he has to go in and defrost it with a hair dryer so it'll keep making ice. He has to do that several times per year. He's about to ditch it and buy a new one.

tl;dr Don't buy a Samsung.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
YEah Ive also heard bad things about samsungs. Stick to the known brands like Whirlpool and you should be OK.

Pagan

Lord Nagafen Raider
Seems like we have a thread for just about every type of product, but not refrigerators yet.

We just bought a house that we'll hopefully be closing on in a few weeks, but it has no fridge. Reading refrigerator reviews are the worst as it seems like almost no one is happy with theirs. They are all loud, leak, break, etc.

I'm looking for a french door model, under 36" width, in the sub-$2,200 or so range; preferably with a water dispenser. So far the only model I can find with reviews that aren't "it broke in 3 months" is theWhirlpool WRX735SDBM. The only problem with this one is that it apparently runs at like 50-60 dB constantly. At this point, I'm thinking it's worth it to have one that won't break even if it runs noisy. That said, I'm hoping someone on here knowsanythingabout refrigerators and can recommend one that isn't a piece of shit.
I have that exact model now for a little over a year. The middle drawer is so "Clutch" for putting and grabbing food that you constantly go for. I dont know about the 50-60db as it runs quiet like any other fridge, however some of the cons are the ice maker is inside and to the left which takes up about 1/8 of space and the ice (cubed) comes out like a hot mess and in different chunks. This is my second Whirlpool French Door style and both of those cons were on both. I give the refrigerator a 9/10.

As we are talking about Appliances I am really starting to dig the new slate colors that they offer. Stainless steel is such a bitch to clean; all the time.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
And this is essentially what I've noticed. It seems like appliance manufacturers just build shitty products now. Everyone got a "this brand sucks, don't buy it" story. And that leaves me with no refrigerator.

Glad to hear you like it, Pagan. That's seriously about the only model I've found that I can't find massive complaints about having maintenance people out to fix every other month.

fred sanford

<Gold Donor>
I've got a Whirlpool similar to the one you linked except it's got the single freezer drawer at the bottom. It doesn't make consistent noise, at least mine doesn't. Believe me I'd know, my house has tile throughout and sound is amplified.

I will note that certain ice maker operations make loud noises on a regular basis. By loud I mean I notice it when all is quiet in the house. If I'm watching TV I don't hear it. It's not the ice dropping though, it's got something to do with the ice maker spinning slowly and creaking but I hear a sound that sounds like someone knocking at the front door fairly regularly. It scared the crap out of my wife when we first moved in, she thought someone was tapping on our windows. I imagine it's probably an age thing, if it did that brand new I'd return it.

taebin

Same trailer, different park
Can't say enough good things about the LG we bought -LG LFX31945STHas a door in door for condiments, water, cokes, etc. Ton of space, hidden ice maker in door, huge freezer, etc.

Found it at Frye's Electronics for $2900. Took a picture on my phone, went to Lowe's. They had a policy of meeting any competitor's pricing and beating it by 5%. Signed up for their credit card and got another 5% off. So a ~$3,500 fridge ended up costing like $2600. Still a bit above what you were wanting to pay, but just thought I would recommend their products. No issues at all, and it's been 2 years.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
How's the ice maker on your LG? Like 90% of the complaints I've read about them all have to do with the ice maker (the worst being that it ends up leaking water, which shorts out the electronics).

I kind of wonder about fridge reviews though, because I feel like they're all very negative. Basically the only people writing reviews about them are going to be people unhappy with theirs. The happy fridge people probably don't even consider writing a review about an appliance. But there's no way to quantify if it's just 5% of people having issues with theirs or 20%.

It's probably a tossup between Whirlpool and LG for me right now. Not sure how I'll decide though.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
How's the ice maker on your LG? Like 90% of the complaints I've read about them all have to do with the ice maker (the worst being that it ends up leaking water, which shorts out the electronics).

I kind of wonder about fridge reviews though, because I feel like they're all very negative. Basically the only people writing reviews about them are going to be people unhappy with theirs. The happy fridge people probably don't even consider writing a review about an appliance. But there's no way to quantify if it's just 5% of people having issues with theirs or 20%.

It's probably a tossup between Whirlpool and LG for me right now. Not sure how I'll decide though.
I don't have time now but I will post the consumer reports ratings for french door refrigerators tommorrow.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Here's the thing - if you buy foreign get a repair/extended plan or you will get proper fucked on repairs. Domestic anyone/everyone can work on and it's comparably cheap.

They are all shit and you will have to pay the shitty product tax. Ice makers are notorious for not tolerating anything but the most perfect of tap water, so 99% of people without whole house filters and water softeners will lose them frequently. Electronic control boards are about as reliable as... well they aren't. It's just the way things are. You pay for features on a disposable appliance. If you spend $3600 for a counter depth TARDIS Samsung it will still break in 4 years, you'll just have all the nifty plastic and electronic crap. It's really got to be figured out a 3-5 year replacement cost to be conservative and figure out the space/options/noise level you are comfortable with. Longevity is pure luck.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Not the greatest quality but you should be able to make out model number and ratings

http://s8.postimg.org/s1ov13039/refrigcs.png

And here is the reliability ratings per brand.
rrr_img_97886.jpg

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>

The ice maker is a complete piece of shit. They were sued over it and settled. They fixed the problem (Kenmores also had the same issue so apparently it was likely a parts issue and both use the same parts). Everyone got a letter in the mail and you had to fill it out with proof you attempted at least once to contact LG (even out of warranty). I did that, sent it in, and in less than a week got a phone call saying they would be setting up an appliance guy to come out here and fix it but that it could take up to 4 weeks for the appointment due to a backlog on the new parts.

But, the fan motor noises, the leaking water, sticky ice requiring constant icepicks to undo (which was a big selling point about how great this ice maker was supposedly as it was something that was never supposed to happen).. It has been a thorn in our side for years. Can't wait for them to get it fixed.

Other than the ice maker, we really love the fridge. But yes, all the ice maker complaints are 150% legit. Although I will say, I never actually had the ice maker FAIL. I got the code 1A and 1F but the m aker itself still makes ice fine. It's just a problem with the refridgeration grills and units specific to the ice maker. They were specific on the phone about it, but I don't care, I'm not an appliance guy. Just fix the fucking thing.

Oh, and you had to do it before April 15, but if you want to see the details..LG Refrigerator Settlement Website

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
I'd but the another Samsung fridge in a second. Whirl pool as well but I'd avoid their bottom priced items. GE can rim me. I've never owned an LG appliance.

Be sure and check consumer reports, great info there and the customer reviews.

Siliconemelons

I'd but the another Samsung fridge in a second. Whirl pool as well but I'd avoid their bottom priced items. GE can rim me. I've never owned an LG appliance.

Be sure and check consumer reports, great info there and the customer reviews.
I got the bottom end side by side Whirlpool and it works great...just loud when the compressor kicks in...a few days and its your standard white noise of the house...but was still annoying.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
LG has the worst customer service I've ever dealt with. Hands down. I'll never buy another one of their products as long as I live.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider