Regrets

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
I've had a few...
Most involved something that I should have left un-said or un-written that hurt another.
I have never regretted keeping most of my secrets and many other people's with which I have been entrusted.
I do rue over sharing. Try to give no fucks, but a lifetime of Catholic guilt is hard to dump.
I don't really regret anything else I have ever done, my actions teach me...my words have always been more harmful.
You?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Dropped out of college at 18. Went back at 26 to finish it by 30. I regret those 8 years of industry experience but also met my wife when I went back to school so there's that.

• 1Like

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Not getting out and doing things more while stationed in southern California. Had no idea La Jolla Cove is a great place to snorkel :(.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
I regret taking so long to learn how to let go of regret. It really is a useless emotion. The path not taken wasn't taken. The end. Learning how to relax and find the positives in where you are and what you are doing is soooooo much more rewarding.

• 6Solidarity
  • 5Like
Reactions: 10 users

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
My only real regret is that I acted like such a little bitch around girls in my youth. I always had interest, but I was scared of them. Since getting married I see just how easy it would have been to just run through a bunch. But my fear prevented me from doing it. I also developed an irrational hatred of women, based entirely upon the way I acted towards them (afraid) and them not showering me with pussy as a result.

Stupid is stupid.

• 3Solidarity
  • 3Like
Reactions: 5 users

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Dropped out of college at 18. Went back at 26 to finish it by 30. I regret those 8 years of industry experience but also met my wife when I went back to school so there's that.
There's always an upside. I did something similar, and I'm back at it now at 34 but with a direction that I want to go. At 18 I had no clue what I wanted to do, and even took some networking classes but hated it. Amazing what 15 years of technology will do as now I enjoy computer networking and turned it into a career.

• 1Like

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
I regret getting my best friend into ecstacy when we were teenagers, he OD'd 10 years ago on Christmas and it eats me up everyday.

I also regret standing up to my boss last Christmas which resulted in me losing a fantastic high paying job. I told him I didn't work on Christmas for the reason stated above and when they tried to force me I fought back. Now I feel like my life is in a tailspin.

That felt good to let out, thanks for the thread Mrs. Gravy.

• 7Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 7 users

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
I don't really have any regrets. I do wish I would've not fucked off my last year of high school and kept my good gpa then gone to a good University for a CS degree, but that's really just hindsight kicking in. The reality is that I also had no idea what I wanted to do then nor did I have the desire to continue school. I just wanted to work and make money and party and shit.

Even if I had done all that, I don't know that id be any better off in the present. I wish I could go to MIT or something with the knowledge I have now because I think I could kill it.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
“Remorse.-- Never yield to remorse, but at once tell yourself: remorse would simply mean adding to the first act of stupidity a second.”

Friedrich Nietzsche

There's really no way to know what would have happened if you had made different decisions in the past. Maybe it would have been better, maybe it would have been worse. Either way there's no changing it so it's a waste of time and energy to dwell on it.

• 3Like

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
There's a weird moment when you have to decide if the thing you remember was a regret or a strength of character.

For me personally, I tried and tried and tried to get hired into the Fire Union but ultimately failed after many years of trying.

But then I see that the reason I failed was because I thought I was trying to join a meritocracy, when a real meritocracy never actually existed. That was my error. I was trying to enhance my own merit in order to join the Union, but now I know that merit and ability was never what they were looking for to begin with. Merit is not an appreciable trait in that circle. Obedience and loyalty, are.

In a certain way I look at firefighters I encounter at work and I envy them, but in another way I am very glad I still work in a private sector where my efficiency and merit are appreciated above my ideological loyalty.

If I am able to be more efficient then I am not expected to be quite as obedient. This is not a trait that is tolerated in The Union. I tired so hard to be a part of that union and I regret the fact that I failed to make the cut after many years of trying. But now, looking back on it with my new eyes? Their rejection of me may have been a certain sort of blessing in disguise.

• 3Like

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
My only real regret is that I acted like such a little bitch around girls in my youth. I always had interest, but I was scared of them. Since getting married I see just how easy it would have been to just run through a bunch. But my fear prevented me from doing it. I also developed an irrational hatred of women, based entirely upon the way I acted towards them (afraid) and them not showering me with pussy as a result.

Stupid is stupid.

Interesting. For me it was very dominant parents and not enough space/freedom/emotional availability to get it popping with the ladies in high school. It was like I was paralyzed and hamstrung. So many experiences squandered from growing up in an extremely high impact toxic household. You even think about going on a date, you'll get belittled and mocked for it. Nevermind that everything was like pulling teeth.

It wasn't no Cali living. Ignorant small town people suck but none of us can change our childhood-- as moon said its all about Forward (tm)

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Not mining bitcoins when it was a kind of nerd joke

• 15Solidarity
  • 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 17 users

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
When I was a kid I chickened out of going up into the St. Louis Arch. That was like 25 years ago now and I still regret it. Doubly so because my brother went up into it, and he reminds me about it to this day. I need to get back there and do it at some point.

• 2Like

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Not mining bitcoins when it was a kind of nerd joke
I could have gotten 100 bitcoin off this dude back when it was like 9 bucks. I just casually turned him down, didnt even give it thought. I think that much bitcoin is worth roughly the GDP of eastern Europe now.

• 1Like

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
I played poker with btc (online gambling in WA State was illegal) and had 30 at my highest when they were worth like 12 a piece. I got my first bit quarter by winning it in a free roll tournament and built up from there. I treated then like play money since I didn't buy them and selling them seemed like a hassle. This was when gox was the main exchange and they wanted all kinds of docs to get set up.

• 1Like

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
When I was a kid I chickened out of going up into the St. Louis Arch. That was like 25 years ago now and I still regret it. Doubly so because my brother went up into it, and he reminds me about it to this day. I need to get back there and do it at some point.
I have been up so many times because every out of town guest we ever hosted or any I will host, wants to make the Arch trip. G barely fit in the elevator pod so he only did it once, which meant, Tag, I was it.
If you do the St. Louis thing, you should also hit the other old school local faves like Gus's Pretzels and Ted Drewes frozen custard.

• 1Like

SeanDoe1z1

Old friend went through a semi-simple divorce where his wife was the bad guy. Had to point him to Tinder.

Guy is living like a playboy and I have regrets for missing the golden age of hookups for 20-30yr olds.

Caveat, love my wife etc.

Still jealous.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Khane

Got something right about marriage
There is no "golden age" for men. If you stay fit and have some class and charm you'll be desirable basically until you're too old to give a fuck anymore.

• 1Like