Remnant: From the Ashes

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Anyone pick this up? Been following it since E3 and it finally came out this weekend in early access. It is actually really well done and runs like a dream, Jorren Jorren and I have been getting our asses handed to us due to the Dark Souls like mechanics.

Really fun Co-op shooter if anyone looking for something with friends.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Alterity

Molten Core Raider
Yeah I initially tried this game out yesterday since I never heard of it before. Ended up purchasing and playing it most of the day today. I am trait level 49 and have been playing solo about 99% of the time. I jumped into matchmaking today and helped out some people. It was cool seeing how their world was different and I ended up seeing 2 bosses I didn't run into in my save.

My name is proximix on steam if you want to add me. I unfortunately am done playing for the night though.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I'm about an hour or so in and having fun with it. I did have a crash right at the end of the first big tunnel system which was pretty annoying

• 1Like

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Different worlds like psuedo dynamic diablo esque random generated? Is it dark souls like for being hard or is it basically kinda like Tarkov?

Jorren

Maximum Derek
<Bronze Donator>
Procedural generated maps like Diablo kind of, but they are semi permanent. You can re-roll them however. The look and feel is the same, but the layout and such are different. At least in the campaign. Great looking game and the story so far seems kind of intriguing.

I love that you cannot just waltz through it like most games seem to allow these days. We were getting smacked silly by bosses, and even some of the tougher 'regular' mobs are challenging.

Progress only matters for the Host btw.

Chersk

Trakanon Raider
The game is heavily inspired by Dark Souls but more of a shooter focus instead of melee like DS. I thought it was easy...until it wasn’t. I love Dark Souls and I’m really liking this too.

• 1Like

Hekotat

Yes we waltzed through til the first boss then got shit on for a few hours, finally took him down. Now we are getting ass rammed by the second.

Still playing on normal, can't imagine the harder settings.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I downloaded the Fitgirl release and was pretty surprised to find it's not a janky shitshow like pretty much every other Souls-like (besides Ni-oh). My only major complaint is that boss fights aren't particularly interesting, and the endless stream of adds that I guess they all have is pretty lame. I was going to grab it on PS4, but it seems they and Sony have royally screwed up the release. I guess it failed certification which caused it to miss the early release weekend, but you also cannot pre-order anymore which locks you out of getting the bonuses. If they don't fix that tomorrow, guess I'll get it on Steam.

What weapons are people finding most useful? I started as ex-cultist since that gets you the best armor, bought the shotgun right away and once I got the magnum I haven't bothered with anything else (have SMG, hunting pistol, sniper rifle). Still haven't found any new melee weapons though.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
One comment and one question.

Comment: I fucking love that they are releasing the game at a $40 price point instead of $60 because they realize that a single playthrough on normal and then never playing again would cause anger at the higher cost.

Question: I have beaten all FromSoft games outside of Sekiro on the PS4 and have no problem with melee style games on a controller; however, I am terrible at FPS/aiming games if I don't have KB+M. Does this one need more of an FPS style control or a 3rd party control?

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Game feels pretty frustrating at the moment, at least the campaign world that spawned for me. I just got to the Root Mother encounter, and after a couple attempts it doesn't feel like its doable solo. Though I've since found it is a timed encounter, so maybe I can do it just by using pots / running around / keeping aggro long enough.

Not sure what others have experienced, but so for the game feels like bullet sponge hell, if only due to the number of mobs that come at me whenever I aggro anything. Mobs will just keep spawning and all of them take 3+ shots from either weapon. The repeater pistol I have is upgraded to where I cannot find the next tier of material needed (forged iron), secondary weapons are at one notch below, and same goes for armor.

The "dungeon" I had to get through to finally reach the Root Mother encounter was a real PIA due to the number of mobs, and the elites that would spawn (the Screamer which spawned like 4-5 new adds each time it yelled was super annoying). Game really should be called "Add Spawning Game 1.0".

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Regarding bullet sponges, might be due to level scaling. It doesn't scale by trait level, but rather armor. Dansgaming was playing it and having trouble with a level, upgraded his armor and suddenly he did less damage than he did before because the enemies suddenly got more armor as well. Someone in chat then said that they had tested with with a max upgraded weapon in a level 1 zone, and it did no more\less damage than a level 1 weapon since when playing with the level 1 weapon the enemies didn't scale up.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Yeah, the game really feels like its trying to shove coop down your throat at times. I'm not sure where they got the idea that it would be a good plan to do that in a game trying to be Souls-with-guns. Everyone knows only casuls unable to git gud have to put down a sign in a Souls game, and it should have been more of an afterthought here too.

Scaling was fully explained by the devs here:
Root Mother really isn't that bad once you realize you just need to kite the big dude around while shotgunning the crossbow ones, and making sure none of the regular enemies get to sit there and beat on her. It was a little frustrating for me because my +5 magnum did like 98% of a normal enemy's hp if I didn't crit/headshot, but not too bad overall.

Question: I have beaten all FromSoft games outside of Sekiro on the PS4 and have no problem with melee style games on a controller; however, I am terrible at FPS/aiming games if I don't have KB+M. Does this one need more of an FPS style control or a 3rd party control?
I tried m/k for a while and switched back to gamepad after not being able to get headshots with my pistol any easier. Since it's a UE4 game there's probably some retarded mouse smoothing/acceleration going on behind that scenes that I didn't feel like digging into ini files to get rid of.

• 1Like

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If you open the Map while in a zone, with Advanced stats open, at the bottom you'll see two indicators showing if you are below, equal, or above the recommended gearscore for that area. I think.

Hekotat

My only complaint is not being able to unbind C from character menu. I've died alot from hitting c trying to duck and getting shit on while in a menu.

Mick

<Gold Donor>
From what i have heard from a couple of streamers is that you can manfully edit the .ini file to rebind all of your keys.

Hekotat

From what i have heard from a couple of streamers is that you can manfully edit the .ini file to rebind all of your keys.

I was going to look into this but assumed character sheet was un-editable. I'll check it out when I get home.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I'll wait a bit but this game looks pretty fun from the streams I looked at. I'll probably pick it up during a sale or some shit though.