Removing a Co-signer from a Vehicle Title

Anybody have experience with this?

My brother-in-law co-signed with me on my car a few years back and I recently received the clean title for having paid off the loan entirely. Now I'm looking to get his name taken off to avoid a future hassle in case I need to sell the car eventually.

I called a local place that does title transfers but the lady on the phone said something about it being impossible because I renewed the registration with his name still on the title. Is she onto something or is she wrong?

What hoops do I have to jump through to make this possible? Thanks in advance.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Are you in the US? You can change the title at the DMV, not sure what kind of place you're going to but they're probably just going to the DMV on your behalf.

AFAIK, you sign the title, bring proof of loan being paid off and request a new title. Check on your states dmv website for details, they should tell you everything you need. If you need a new registration they'd just have you get a new one there. Everytime I've changed my title it's been at the DMV.

If you aren't US sorry

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Seems like your hassle getting it transferred will be > hassle selling in future unless you plan on fucking his wife or something.

All he has to do is sign on selling. He can probably go ahead and sign something and you'll be all clear when selling.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Why don't you drive 30 minutes with everything the article mentions you need so you can get it done if it's accurate rather than just driving 30 minutes to ask?

You can also check your state's DMV website. For instance some relevant information from the CT website:

DMV: Definition of Joint or Common Ownership

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
At least around here, the drive to the DMV is the least of your issues. We have one branch infamous for 2-3 hour wait times

Why don't you drive 30 minutes with everything the article mentions you need so you can get it done if it's accurate rather than just driving 30 minutes to ask?
That's such common sense I didn't think I had to spell out the entirety of my plans to avoid needlessly standoffish replies.

• 3Worf

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Sorry for not helping you correctly.

• 7Worf
Reactions: 6 users

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
My parents were co-signers on the first car I bought. As soon as the loan was paid off it was a simple matter of having them sign the title (they were in Missouri and I was in NC... they have long arms) and going to the DMV to get a new, clean title with only my name on it.

I remember being nervous about it, but the DMV never batted an eye.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I mean this is a simple title transfer I don't understand the problem.

You first need to title transfer and to cancel the registration, then you need to reregister only in your name with the new title, then you need to file for a refund for the overpaid registration fees, but the check will likely be made out to both title holders so you just need the cosigner to endorse the check as well to cash it.

Easy as mac and cheese

Oh also check with insurance to make sure they are updated with who the title is held with.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
The fact that a title transfer business exists is worrisome. Onoes' used one I'm sure

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Onoes

Trakanon Raider
Give your brother in law 7k with assurances he will go into the DMV in the next couple of weeks and remove his name from the title. Assuming that the following day he catches your sister with another man, things should escalate nicely.

Come here and ask for advice then, these fine fellows will help you out, at no personal distress to you, and then promptly celebrate and drop the issue forever.

• 3Worf

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Sorry but the car story goes down as one of the greatest tales ever told on FOH

• 3Solidarity