Resident Evil 6

eXarc

Trakanon Raider
Just picked it up today. I know I'm a little late but I despised 5 so it took me a while to get myself to spend money on another RE game. 6 is way better, and I've just started. 4 different characters (8 if you include their playable partners) with a ton of game modes and maps. Handling is spot on, everything feels smooth, item system is good, and the environment is gorgeously done. Voice acting is solid.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resident_Evil_6

PSN: Verseia if anyone wants to co-op.

If you hated 5 as much as I did, trust me when I say this is a bit of redemption.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
My brother and I play RE5 all the time. We have beaten it on every single difficulty, new game+ or not. It was a good game for co-op, but not scary. We did not enjoy playing RE6 and actually couldn't even finish it because of how shitty it was. I miss old school RE.
frown.png

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Yea, Revelations is great (still not grabbed on PS3 but was the only game I loved on the 3DS before I traded it in).

RE6 still never really resonated with me though preferred 5 to it even myself. But might just have been burnt out on the genre.

Sidian

Lord Nagafen Raider
My brother and I play RE5 all the time. We have beaten it on every single difficulty, new game+ or not. It was a good game for co-op, but not scary. We did not enjoy playing RE6 and actually couldn't even finish it because of how shitty it was. I miss old school RE.
frown.png
Man, for me it's the other way around. I've played both RE5 and RE6 co-op with my brother and we can replay RE6 a lot. I can even go back and play Single player on RE6 a bit and it isn't that bad. Yet with RE5 I've tried to go back and play through it and nope, just can't stand it. Although...I bet if my brother wanted to co-op it again it wouldn't be that play. Playing without the retarded AI makes it soooo much more enjoyable.

Also, it appears Revelations doesn't support co-op with the campaign? Otherwise I would surprise buy two copies and force my brother to play it with me lol.

Sean_sl

shitlord
Yeah, Revelations doesn't have co-op, despite having an AI partner for large portions of it. An unfortunate effect of it being a 3DS game first and a console/pc port later.

Tol_sl

shitlord
I liked rev, and thought 5 was decent (aside from terrible sheva AI) but man, I freaking hated 6. What a conga line of endless bullshit. I think it's just time they do a full reboot on the franchise.

I thought it was a step back from 5 in that the weapon system was really boring, the story was basically just retold 4 separate times, gameplay felt a step back for me (partially because of less flexibility and variability in weapon choices) and the endless QTEs and cinematics annoyed me pretty badly. Also I hated that we basically don't even have a worthwhile villian/organization at this point. Chris' campaign was especially baffling in that it felt like CoD with zombies. I think I had more rpgs launched at me than ingeneric mid-eastern fps #354.

Meanwhile, RE4 HD was on sale for $5 the other day, so I'm excited to replay that. Probably the peak of the franchise for me.

eXarc

Trakanon Raider
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll pick up Revelations after I finish 6.

So far I love Jake as a character, probably my favorite. Playing Ada is very cool as well.

Resident Evil is like Final Fantasy to me, everyone seems to have opinions that cast so far one way or the other. I am not surprised though that people are disappointed in 5 AND 6 (even though I am a fan of 6) as the last installments into the series. I think most of us would agree Resident Evil classics to us mean 1,2,3 maybe 4 and none of the spin offs like Veronica Code and Raccoon City, etc etc. Apparently Revelations gets pretty high reviews all around but the lack of co-op is a buzzkill to me. The fact that it's a port bothers me because while it's well done, there do seem to be certain elements that you can tell it wasn't specifally designed for a console. Which is fine. This is another reason though, that while the spin off games can be good, they never really touch on the 'classic' Resident Evil feel.

Point is, I'm hoping we get a new direction or team on Resident Evil 7 or whatever comes next, because like someone said earlier I'm not even really sure what I'm fighting anymore - I miss Umbrella corporation being the clear 'big bad guy' with the virus outbreak and everything else was a simple breakdown of it & it was beauitfully done, while remaining gritty and visceral. I don't feel like any of these recent games are really pulling the 'classic' Resident Evil visceral feeling the first ones did. Maybe we're just old school?
I know almost everyone on the boards hate the CoD style gameplay though. Look at what happened with Dead Space 3 for fuck's sake - I STILL never finished the game once I got the ice planet, it was completely NOT a Dead Space game. Shame.

What does it take to revive a series like this? Will it happen? Are they still pulling in the same sales just because 'Resident Evil'?

Tol_sl

shitlord
Hmm, I would say code veronica is a classic. It felt more like RE5: part 1, which was why the change in story for RE4 was so odd to me at the time. It was the last RE that felt like a traditional RE: tank controls, wesker, umbrella, chris and claire, survival horror with management of items being required. By that time though, it was definitely time to innovate because gamers had outgrown those clunky mechanics. RE4 was a fantastic way to evolve the franchise, but yeah, I agree that they just went so far off track after that that I think it's time to reboot.

Ignatius

#thePewPewLife
I've always thought re4 style game with limited (key thing here) resources and the enemy variety of RE1:remake (zombies actually become fast and deadly if you dont burn the bodies, but start out as slow and avoidable) would be fun as hell.

If they could buff up the normal zombies a little more I think it could work.

eXarc

Trakanon Raider
SOMEONE PLEASE PLAY THIS WITH ME!

I had my save files deleted three times, once due to a banned account and twice to due fried PlayStations. Im starting all over again tonight and I never even finished a single campaign of any of the characters yet.

THESE PEOPLE ARE PUSSIES THEY ALL PLAY ON LOW DIFF WITH INFINITE AMMO AND ARE RETARDED ON TOP OF THAT! FUCK THAT!

Come play with me and be a badass and run this fucking shit.

Sean_sl

shitlord
SOMEONE PLEASE PLAY THIS WITH ME!

I had my save files deleted three times, once due to a banned account and twice to due fried PlayStations. Im starting all over again tonight and I never even finished a single campaign of any of the characters yet.

THESE PEOPLE ARE PUSSIES THEY ALL PLAY ON LOW DIFF WITH INFINITE AMMO AND ARE RETARDED ON TOP OF THAT! FUCK THAT!

Come play with me and be a badass and run this fucking shit.
Rofl.

I'd load up a game with you if I had the PS3 version, sorry bro.

eXarc

Trakanon Raider
I wonder why you never even added me back on PS3. I forgot you're still on XBOX until PS4. (I assume)

Sean_sl

shitlord
I wonder why you never even added me back on PS3. I forgot you're on XBOX still until PS4. (I assume)
I thought I did add you? Maybe I missed the thing.

I've been buying all my stuff on PS3 since E3, just RE6 was quite a while before that.

eXarc

Trakanon Raider
Nah man, request pending since like 2012 lmao. psn; Verseia. I'll resend. Join us in chat. It's hilarious.