Retro Game of the Month April 2018: Demon's Crest (SNES)

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
The third game in the Gargoyle's Quest trilogy (a spinoff of Ghosts & Goblins/Ghouls and Ghosts), Demon's Crest went under the radar for a lot of people but it's a moody and atmospheric Metroidvania with great graphics and fun transformations.

Demon's Crest

2063785-demon_screstboxart.png

gfs_40172_2_4.jpg

gfs_40172_2_7.jpg

4e2e899ab8cc204299167f875e8f01b3.jpg

gfs_40172_2_8.jpg

Wikipedia blurb:
Demon's Crest, known in Japan as Demon's Blazon,[a] is a side-scrolling platform video game developed and published by Capcom for the Super Nintendo Entertainment System. It is the third video game starring Firebrand (an enemy character from the Ghosts 'n Goblins series, known as "Red Arremer" in the Japanese version), following Gargoyle's Quest and Gargoyle's Quest II.

Enjoy!

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Siliconemelons

so you broke the tie - well we are a few days behind to give a full time to another RPG :)

anyone got a quick and easy SNES CLassic hack so I can just use that, the gamepad I have for USB is 10+ years old ps2 clone and barely works...guess I should just get another off amazon

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
Still got my original cart for this beast.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Szlia

Something very noteworthy in this game is the super badass music done with an instrumentation of pipe organ, harpsichord and violins (well... at least their MIDI version in the SNES chipset!).

That being said, since I played it very recently I'll pass this time again. I wish everyone good luck because if you go 100% blind, it's a pretty difficult to grasp what to do and where to do it. The game also has multiple endings. Let's qualify them as bad ending, good ending and true ending. If you can beat the last boss of the good ending, let me know, because I sure could not!

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

a_skeleton_00

<Banned>
Man how do they not just copy and paste this with like 200 different gargoyles add stats and make it multiplayer combat instant win am I right lol

Szlia

@a_skeleton_00 If you want a multiplayer combat game involving gargoyles, a bunch of people I know got you covered:

It's only couch multiplyer and only for 4 people though. It's also a bit rough as it is a jam game. It was an original jam concept: instead of having many little teams working each on their little game, the goal here was to have everyone work on the same game, so it was also a teamwork exercise.

• 1Like

yimmien

Molten Core Raider
I always got so confused on where to go when I played this back in the day. The bosses are brutal so far. I am ashamed to admit using save states before the fight on the skeleton guy and eyeballs. Somehow I remembered you had to ram those statues to get to the eye boss.

Maybe I will actually beat this game for the first time.

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
Finally got around to playing this yesterday.

The strong point is definitely the presentation. Extremely moody and atmospheric, with lots of appropriately Gothic pipe organs. There's heavy use of solid black in foreground, giving everything a dark and somber tone. But despite the overall gloomy theme, there is also some spectacular use of color. The forest is as lush and vibrant as it is gloomy and oppressive. There's some gorgeous gradation of color in several background skies. The sprites are gorgeously detailed and animate great. Firebrand himself looks stunning and his alternate transformations look fantastic. They really made sure every form looks unique while still looking ultimately gargoylish. Even their walk animations have different personalities.

Exploring the world is a lot of fun. You select what stage to go to by flying around an overworld map and swooping down to suspicious-looking locations. The stages themselves, while often featuring alternate paths, are generally pretty short so it doesn't feel punishing to go through them a second time once you've acquired an ability that allows access to previously unreachable areas. There are tons of helpful items lying about, such as empty flasks (which you fill at a potion shop), blank scrolls (which you buy spells for), and a surprising number of permanent HP upgrades. You'll need all the HP you can get, though, as it doesn't take long for bosses to do multiple HP of damage with every hit.

The game is also not easy. Aiming your fireball is incredibly finicky. There are a lot of enemies such as bats and flying eyeballs that are really difficult to hit, and the difficulty is compounded if you're using your default weapon which can only fire one projectile at a time. While you do acquire alternate weapons with increased rate of fire as well as bigger projectile hitboxes, and your transformations each have their own unique attacks with some scenario-specific uses (the Aerial Gargoyle can cut the vines in the forest level, for instance), this brings up a small issue I have with the game: Switching out weapons and choosing alternate forms is cumbersome and awkward, requiring you to pause the game, select the appropriate icon, press Y, then unpause the game. Generally it's not a big deal, but there are parts of the game where you'll find yourself rapidly switching from one form to another and it tends to hurt the flow of the game. Even with a variety of attacks at your disposal, though, there are narrow corridors with multiple flying enemies that are just a huge pain.

While there are some parts of the game that can be pretty difficult (some bosses will take multiple tries), Demon's Crest mercifully allows you to continue indefinitely, usually not far from where you were when you died. This is a great feature that allows you to learn from your mistakes without having to deal with re-doing large stretches of game or fumbling around with reloading game data. Also, the game never tells you where you are "supposed to" go next. It's pretty much up to you to explore, discover new abilities and figure out where to use those abilities. While this can lead to some wasted time (some levels won't even appear on the overworld until certain criteria have been met), it does make it all the more satisfying to be the driving force behind your own progress.

The game's story features some pretty nice cut scenes, and the title screen reveal is fantastic. You should definitely wait through all that the first time you play. Another interesting feature is that you can actually challenge the last boss pretty early on in the game (I won't tell you what happens if you beat him). And be sure to swoop down on even innocuous-looking areas on the overworld. There are a couple of hidden bonus games, including the level 3 head-butting minigame that earns you a life upgrade the first time you beat it.

I've still got a ways to go (I've only gotten my Ground and Aerial transformations so far), but I'm quite enjoying all the things Demon's Crest does well, despite some of its more annoying features.

Demon's Crest (U) [!]005.png

Demon's Crest (U) [!]003.png

Demon's Crest (U) [!]002.png

Siliconemelons

I did get my new gamepad and I played the intro through the first boss - then when I was ready to jump back in my gamepad was acting odd with my directional buttons, no matter howmany times I re-mapped them on the emulator.

It was fun, but a bit clunky on the controls...when they worked. I did think flying was cool... I could do without a special "move" that looks back and breaks a statue...i am sure it gets a "purpose" moreso than to pop out the first boss

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
I did get my new gamepad and I played the intro through the first boss - then when I was ready to jump back in my gamepad was acting odd with my directional buttons, no matter howmany times I re-mapped them on the emulator.

It was fun, but a bit clunky on the controls...when they worked. I did think flying was cool... I could do without a special "move" that looks back and breaks a statue...i am sure it gets a "purpose" moreso than to pop out the first boss
Besides opening doors and smashing the occasional background object (like the statues in the first area and the windows in the town area), the headbutt seems to just be useful for the 3 bonus games scattered around the world. They are actually pretty fun once you get a hang of the delay between when you press the button and when your head makes contact, but you likely won't be able to clear the level 3 game on your first try.

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
Arma's laugh is the best part of this game, outside of the Dope attacks.
Right? With the cocky animations?

I loved this game in my teens so I made a few gifs way back in the day:

GQBookGuy.gif
GQEyeFly.gif
GQGargStand.GIF
GQGreenGuy.gif
GQScratch.gif

• 1Like