Retro Game of the Month: Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together (Famicon/PS1/Saturn/PSP)

Siliconemelons

This MONTH+ we are playing Tactics Ogre "1" - Let Us Cling Together

Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together - Wikipedia

It is available on a myriad of systems:

Japan only: Although I am sure there are translation rom "hacks" avail

Super Famicon
Sega Saturn

English:
PSX(PS1)
PSP

1551721583486.png
1551721644922.png

1551721676530.png

SNES version is supposed to be considerably more difficult. Hmmmmm.

Here's an extremely long post from elsewhere about the differences between the PSP version and the original:

So, the PSP TO is way different from the SNES/Saturn/PSX versions.

This topic is here to tell people who are used to the old mechanics about what changes, from new recruitments, to the heavy changes on the battle system and the WORLD feature. That would help players that knew the original TO to understand how to deal with the "new" game.

Now that I have a PSP and this fuckin' marvelous game, I'll show you guys every inch of the changes inside Tactics Ogre - Wheel of Fate.

Main changes

Revamped soundtrack - Yeah, the original soundtrack got fantastically enhanced. There are new additions to the Bapalu battle at Almorica, also as there are now some marvelous arrange at various other tracks... Not counting the original Ogre Battle soundtrack, infused into this game. A random battle at Tynemouth Hill never was so cool before with such a soundtrack.

Many names have changed - Square Enix respected the original SNES version and changed various names to get more akin to the original Japanese version. This way, the city of Griate is now Golyat, Tanmas Hill was reverted to his original Tynemouth name, Baramus is now called Balmamusa. Also, many characters had their names changed, being only a few exceptions, like Canopus and Ozma.

The WORLD System - After beating the game, Denam (Yes, they changed his name and put an "a" where an "i" should be) becomes able to "time travel", based on the path he took through the game. This allows you to access other routes without having to make a new save and replay the game all over, and get characters you would only get through playing on other routes, such as 2C/3N for example. The problem is, when you go back in time, you really alter things. So, if you made it through the Law route, and then you go back and make the Chaos route, your progress on the Law route will be unaltered, that is, until you get to that point in the timeline, where the Law data will be erased (This means that, if you get Selye/Cerya in Chaos/Neutral Route and then make it to Chapter 4 via Law Route, she'll be counted on as dead, as she should be on the Law Route. Don't worry, though, you'll be able to keep her with you). A lot of extra-file saving will be needed before you really master Denim's time travel ability...

CODA - Events that take place after the game's events. Takes base on the WORLD System and Denim's "Wild Card time travel skill". On the japanese version, CODA was a DLC for this game. You need to finish the game with Kachua alive in order to even enable CODA, as well as Canopus and friends. You will need Vyce from the Law route in order to access the Episode 4, so make sure you've made the Law route first or last... Oh yeah, you will have to descend the Hell Gate at least once before you even start CODA.

The initial questionary changed - The initial questionary now follows the same line as other Ogre Battle games, using the tarot cards and questions to test your morale. As the old one, it has effects on Denam's base stats. I'll get into more details on how it affects Denam later.

The dialogues changed quite a lot - If you are akin to the PSX's english localization, the PSP remake's localization leads to a more FFT/FFXII-like localization. This means that the dialogue got more chivalrizied (oh man...) and there are no more cursewords (Oh fuck, I LOVED when Vyce used to spit all that shit at Kachua at the beginning, and now it's gone...). Oh yeah, and there are new dialogues in existing events. Enjoy Denam, Vyce and Catiua arguing with each other at the first battle in Almorica...

Changes on events - First, there are some expanded interactions between the main members of Denam's platoon, like Vyce and Canopus in Tanmas Hill, when the Vartan joins the team. Ravness, the new character to this remake, will make some important appearances on Chapter One and can be recruited if you take the Law Path. She'll even be accompanying you to Balmamusa to watch the Massacre unfold. There is also Diego Azelstan, a pirate who will introduce you to the all-new Buccaneer class at Chapter 4C, and Cressida Obdilord (Yes, Nybeth's daughter), one of your toughest ones to recruit (She demands a high Chaos Frame with the Galgastan, and it should be noted that the Chaos Frame mechanics were changed for the remake) and with her you also get LEGITIMATE ACCESS TO THE NECROMANCER CLASS. Also, Aloser (Now Arycelle) can now be recruited on the Law Route, should you decide to kill Duke Ronwey and keep her alive in the confrontation with Vyce at Rhime. Also, Ozma will rebel herself against the Dark Knights on Chapter 4L, making her your newest ally and a big addition for Haborym (Hobrym), formerly the sole Lodisian member of Denam's platoon. Not to mention that you FINALLY will have a real chance to fight the rest of the Dark Knights, Volaq and Andoras at Chapter 4, and Balzephon at CODA Episode 4.

New allies - Some of them were mentioned above. There's a whole new list of people to get on your team: Ravness is a new character on Ronwey's team; Yulia, Canopus's sister, gets to the team this time by the first CODA episode; The pirate Diego Azelstan on Chapter 4C; Ozma Gracious now getting into your team... Prepare yourself for the myriad of news that awaits for you.

New areas - Valeria Islands never were so big as they are now. There are a new fuckton of areas, such as the Rhea Boum Aqueduct near Ashton City, and more exploration on the lands of Valeria. Not only that, the Hell Gate (Now reverted to its original name as Palace of the Dead) got friggin' more hellish and hard as there are now MORE THAN A HUNDRED FLOORS (115, to be more exact. Oh yeah, NOW THE FLOORS DO BRANCH, MAKING THIS DAMN PLACE A FUCKIN' LABYRINTH). I'll explain about the Palace of the Dead in another section.

Enhanced Warren Report - Now you can not only watch cutscenes, tutorials, charcter profiles and news that grants you sidequests, but also listen to music from the game, see the timeline of your path, watch your ingame accomplishments and more. Oh yeah, now almost every enemy leader you fight has a profile. Not only that, but you will know when there's news on the report by checking each section, as well as know when a profile gets updated.

Bigger army - The number of members on your army have raised from 30 to a freakin' 50, still not counting guests. But be aware: the number of members you can bring into battle depends completely of the place you are entering (For example, you can only bring seven people to Tynemouth Hill in a random battle, while you can bring a whole dozen at the Reisan Way).

You can run away, but you can't train - From random battles, at least. Oh yeah, it seems there's no Trainning mode anymore... So, you will be grinding FFT-like to train the classes and your characters... Untill Chapter 2, at least, when Phorampa Wildwood opens and you can start fighting at will.

More items for you to collect - There is a whole universe of new items to chase for. The game has made some insane arsenal for you to toy with, not to mention items of all kinds. The consmables also got an insane new range of items, from healing items to even THE TAROT CARDS COLLECTED ON BATTLE. But be aware: for some advanced items, you will need the Field Alchemy ability.

Craft your own junk - Now there is a crafting system that will make you go whoosh, and it gets accessible from Chapter 2. You can craft healing items, enhanced weapons, NEW weapons... Man, a Baldur mace has never got so strong in terms of physical fighting before, and Baldur Metal items now have a brutal effect on Undead enemies. (Now Presance can do a proper Break Art with that shit.) Also, some weapons and armor do gain special effects when upgraded. Also, be aware that there are some special weapons that demands an unique weapon, like the Gramrock (Oz's axe) to forge the Stardust Ax.
Some equipment are stated as Unique (Like the Gramrock) and you can keep only one at a time, meaning you will have to obtain one later if you lose the other on your crafting. There are also Event equipments (Like Denam's Blue Necklace), these ones can't be sold or used as materials for crafting.

No need to level animals up - Well, if you want good things to come at you early, you don't have to level beasts up anymore to get exclusive items via auction. Why not experiment with a Beast Tamer and some Tame'ing at Chapter One? (Lake Bordu's the place.) The money isn't so high this time, but you can still acquire rare materials for crafting equipment and items.

Battle System changes

Equipment system changes - The equipment system was changed and has become more akin to Final Fantasy Tactics. There is equipment for left and right hand, body armor, and two accessories. Items don't need to be equipped anymore, making the inventory way more accessible. Also, you can MAKE YOUR EQUIPMENT, by collecting materials in battle.

Stat changes - All the old stats are present on the game. Mentality is now Mind, for that matter, and there are new stats: Evasion (AVD) and Resistance (RES). RT replaces the WT function and still works using weight and AGI as basis. (And beware, because monsters are now WAY QUICKER THAN EVER due to not being able to gears themselves with anything besides rings.)

Indirect Attack changes - Indirect attacks can now be countered if you have an appropriate weapon, and Canopus is the one who gives such demonstration right at Amorika (now Almorica). Crossbows can't be shot out of target range anymore. Oh yeah, now Monsters can do strong indirect attacks. BEWARE...

Weather System changes - Weather now affects way more than just elemental effectiveness. For example, your move can be hindered by bad weather (not just marsh and snow), such as indirect attacks doesn't have much accuracy in rainy days. Also, Archers tend to be more fragile on rain...

Move system changes - Denam, as a Warrior, had his move diminished to four instead of the original five. Also, there is a Jump stat, like FFT, defined by the move type. Fast is now known as Agile. Ghosts cannot warp anymore...

Magic ability system - Magic is accessible to more classes. Not only that, but with the full class overhaul, there is now a skill system, akin to the Final Fantasy Tactics series (sorta). This makes each class even more individual, apart from others. Magic can now be used as items or learned by the character according to its class and the proper Command Skill. Oh yeah, and the tomes are now called (prepare yourself for some gigantic Vagrant Story referrence) Grimoires...

The Skill system - Now there is a skill system in Tactics Ogre. Those skill affects a whole myriad of things, such as whose classes and races Denam (and friends now, because he's not the only one who can talk to the enemies) can persuade, weapon proficencies, and much more. One skill even allows you to see the projectiles' trajectory so you're not wasting your turn on trial and error shooting!

Finishing Moves - Yes, before you ask, SQUARE DID IMPORT VAGRANT STORY'S BREAK ART SYSTEM INTO THIS GAME. The more proficency you get with a weapon, the more FM's you learn. And god, they DO DAMAGE when you put your heart into increasing their output.

EXP system changes - Now, you don't receive EXP anymore during the battle, it is granted to your army's surviving classes at the end of the battle. Also, the EXP is divided among the classes participating on such battle, and the same goes for the SP acquired.

Spoils Reward changes - Now you get things more than just what is on the bags. Way more. And there is now MORE THAN ONE ITEM IN ONE BAG. And now ANY MONSTER CAN DROP REWARD BAGS.

Element System changes - There is another gigantic change at the elemental system, now sporting eight elements: Air <-> Earth, Fire <-> Ice, Water <-> Lightning, Light <-> Darkness. It is also of notice that you and your enemies won't have any elemental affinities unless you gear yourself with elemental Augment (for elemental effectiveness output) and Attenuate (elemental resistance) Skills. Also, there are now three types of attack, like in Vagrant Story: Crushing, Piercing and Slashing. The races are also counted now, being eight: Human, Beast, Reptile, Dragon, Golem, Phantom, Divine and Umbra.

Class Change system overhaul - The Class Change System changed completely. Now the Class level is shared by all characters on your army, and it levels up by the same rate for everyone. Also Classes are not enabled by the character's stats anymore. You earn the classes by collecting marks during certain battles. Not only that, but now demihumans like Canopus can also have classes. Oh yeah, and there is no more gender-exclusive classes. For example, now men and women alike can be Archers just like in The Knight of Lodis. Also, you will need special classmarks if you want to class-change unique characters back, like make Canopus a Rune Fencer (Getting back his love for spears) and then get him back to Vartan (Peregrin's Mark) later, for example.

Know your enemy - Now, Undead units take damage from healing, and can only be exorcised when stilled (And you will still need to exorcise them to take them out of the game). Golems still have small range (except for their rock throw, maybe XD) but got even more resistant than before. There are other marvelous things to study on.

Card system changes - The cards doesn't affect only stats now. Now, instead of being six cards for 6/7 stats, there is 21 cards based on the Tarot, making this system more akin to the Ogre Battle Series (And maybe even the Persona series XD). Also, keep in mind that the stat boost is small, so you will have to collect a lot of cards to raise your stats, and there is a limit to the characters' stats.

It's not over when one dies - The death system got akin to Final Fantasy Tactics, with an extra: each character in your army has three lives. When down, you can revive them before the count gets to zero using a Blessing Stone. If the count goes zero, that character loses a life (which can be restored with an Elixir). If all three lives are lost, that character dies for good, and the only thing you can do with it is to transfer all of his learned skills to another character, FFTCrystal-Like (OSNAP!). Unfortunately, you can't transfer their learned spells...

Scenery interaction was enhanced - Now you can destroy obstacles that are in your way by attacking them. Hmm, cool effect. Also, there are some items that are buried under the obstacles, so...

Sounds like both have merits. People concerned about length til completion or wanting a more challenging experience might want to pick SNES. People wanting a more complete game with a much improved experience from the story might want to pick PSP.

As for myself? I'm still undecided I suppose. I'll figure it out by the time I start tomorrow afternoon. :)

AS ALWAYS! Tag a forum bro and let's play! Enjoy and discuss!

1551721595019.png

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Siliconemelons

Amod Amod sticky please and unsticky last months and vote thread.

Thank you as always mods for dealing with our shenanigans :)

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
i decided to go with the PSP version. never played it before, but i'm a HUGE fan of the other Yasumi Matsuno games i've played -- Final Fantasy 12, Final Fantasy Tactics, Ogre Battle, and Vagrant Story.

only dipped a bit into it so far, but immediately i'm loving the Ogre Battle characters being here. :) recognized Canopus as soon as i saw him

often when i play retro RPGs i follow a guide as i play them, because i want to make sure i don't miss anything / experience everything without having to play through again and take time away from getting to the next game in my queue, but for this game i'm going to go through blind. if i beat it before the end of the month then i'll do a second playthrough, but on SNES and following a guide that time.

hopefully an RPG month gets more discussion going than the last couple months. EverQuest 20th anniversary servers might eat into it a bit tho i suppose.

as always, thanks for organizing this Siliconemelons Siliconemelons !

• 1Solidarity

yimmien

Molten Core Raider
I love FFT and have played through it many times. I have tried TO a couple times and never make it past ch.1. I think it is the crazy amount of skills and items just overwhelm me at the start.

I made it past the first fight against undead and the 2 guest units would never cast exorcise on time, instead choosing to heal someone barely missing hp.

Made the main dude a knight for now but considering the rune fencer instead.

Siliconemelons

LULZ at the anime thigh censorship in those game box arts brhahaha lol

NO THIGHS FOR YOU AMERICANS!

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Upon further reflection, for the sake of being more retro, and for a more challenging experience, I have decided to play the SNES version after all.

As a reminder, Vimm's Lair: Preserving the Classics is a great place to go for classic emulation needs. He has the SNES Tactics Ogre ROM with the translation patch already applied.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Siliconemelons

I will be going PSP, mostly because I already have that loaded as that is what I did ff1 on ;-)

• 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
The SNES version is definitely harder. I got a Game Over on the second turn of the first battle. Didn't save after doing all the character creation stuff at the beginning of the game figuring the first battle wasn't worth saving before. Whoops. :)

PunieHop

<Banned>
Got the digital PSP version. I didn't realize the graphics were so similar to the FF Tactics games, but I love the attention to detail and animation flourishes. For instance: The shafts of sunlight coming through the cracks in a wall animate realistically, which definitely adds to the atmosphere. I barely just started playing, though, so hopefully I'll find a lot more time to play soon.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I didn't realize the graphics were so similar to the FF Tactics games

the team that made Tactics Ogre was largely the same as the team that made Final Fantasy Tactics. wasn't a rip-off so much as just them maintaining their own style.

PunieHop

<Banned>
the team that made Tactics Ogre was largely the same as the team that made Final Fantasy Tactics. wasn't a rip-off so much as just them maintaining their own style.
Yeah, that was my assumption.

This is possibly the first game I've played where seated characters back up their chairs before standing then push the chairs back into position. So much attention to detail.

2 minor complaints, and one is entirely on me:
- As is often the case with games from this team, the character portraits (while gorgeous) often look quite different from the little sprites. I understand that there's no way to approximate all the details present in the portrait, but when the hair color is different and you can't make out important characteristics like a beard, it compromises my immersion.
- SO MUCH to learn. Tons of help menu items, tutorials that barely let you put into practice what they teach before piling more on, and tons and TONS of character names and place names to become familiar with. Heck, my first few battles (where I only control one character) consisted entirely of me picking up a couple of loot bags and watching the rest of my party take out the baddies on their own (not because I planned to, but because I could never move close enough to an enemy to even attack). It can be pretty intimidating, but such is the nature of deep tactical games and it's basically moot once I get into the meat of things.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
so the SNES version doesn't have the skill system that the PSP version has. seems like a pretty huge difference, i'm surprised that it wasn't pointed out more strongly in the posts i read about the differences between the game versions... HMMMMM

Siliconemelons

Yeah it puts thing into perspective when FFT was essentially the "dumbed down" version of tactical RPGs and all these "full on TRPGs" are insane with complexity of system, AND PLOT, AND CHARACTERS/

• 1Solidarity

yimmien

Molten Core Raider
Made it to chapter 2. I am avoiding story spoilers but didnt go in completely blind. I knew about the different routes and that law seemed the best pick to go through first due to a bunch more recruitable characters and that it was more canon. The choice between law/chaos was not what I expected though!

I changed hero to rune fencer because knight is so slow. I wish the battles were a bit more snappy too. FFT seemed to flow a bit quicker and just has overall better presentation in my opinion (comparing both versions on PSP).

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I finally tucked into this last night on the SNES. I've never played any tactics game, so the genre is new to me. That said, although I'm only about an hour in, I find it to be fairly intuitive.

In terms of story, all the character and place names that are tossed around at the beginning is overwhelming. My first thought was that this must be how my parents feel when they watch or hear someone talk about Game of Thrones.

Does the speed of battles improve at all? For example, on one of the earliest battles I had to kill some mage guy in rolling green hills. All my characters were just plinking him for like 1 - 8 damage. It took forever to actually kill him. It wasn't hard, it was just tedious. After the battle I figured out how to customize equipment for my characters, so I bought all of them either a shield or a bow so those with a bow could do ranged damage. I was largely throwing rocks in the battle. Even the bows did pathetic damage to the wizard, though.

• 1Like

PunieHop

<Banned>
This game doesn't fuck around. I'm still REALLY early in the game and I can't get past the battle against Nybeth. I've attempted it 5 times already and I haven't even come close. His minions almost all have powerful long-range attacks, PLUS if you kill them they come back to life after a few turns, PLUS they have a huge high ground advantage, PLUS the boss can summon more minions if you manage to take out & exorcise a couple.

Heck, I can't even grind to power up. The game says I might get into optional battles by re-visiting places I've been but it hasn't happened yet. Maybe I screwed up and bought the wrong equipment and spells, or didn't choose the right team for the job, in which case I might just have to start the game over. I'm no stranger to the genre either, being familiar with FF Tactics and the Disgaea series, but this game's kicking my ass.

yimmien

Molten Core Raider
That battle is optional and very hard. Go east first and there are a couple battles you can do first to power up a bit.

• 1Like

PunieHop

<Banned>
That battle is optional and very hard. Go east first and there are a couple battles you can do first to power up a bit.
Oh for the love of... I didn't even make out that alternate path on the map. Me dumb.

Last edited:

yimmien

Molten Core Raider
Man I used the recruit skill on thr first terror knight guy i saw, didnt realize it would de-level him when he joined. I should have killed him and hoped he dropped a class mark to change my warrior over instead.

Nevermind it shows up in the shop now that I have one!

Last edited: