Rimworld

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Mick

<Gold Donor>
http://rimworldgame.com/

A sci fi colony sim driven by an intelligent AI storyteller.
RimWorld follows three survivors from a crashed space liner as they build a colony on a frontier world at the rim of the galaxy.
For Windows, Mac, Linux. The game is distributed by DRM-free download. You'll also get a Steam key.

Currently in Alpha 5 for $30.00

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob
dang i thought this was gonna be a game about anal rimming

• 2Like
  • 1Jonesing
  • 1Smuggly
Reactions: 3 users

Gask

Bronze Baron of the Realm
As of the last time I played this it wasn't worth the asking price; there just isn't much to do in the game at the moment besides fighting off endless waves of attackers which stops being fun fairly quickly. The "Storyteller" thing they promote is really just a difficulty setting and nothing more, there is no story, all you do it build your basic buildings and then prepare for the horde to arrive every so often. Maybe things have changed recently but as of my last experience it's just a very shallow and incomplete Dwarf Fortress that uses Prison Architect's art style.

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Been watching a few youtube videos of Alpha 8 & 9 and this is something I'm going to keep an eye on when it gets closer to release. Looks kinda fun but I've never played Dwarf fortress or Prison architect so I couldn't compare those games to this one.

Mountain Man_sl

shitlord
I was considering making a thread for this game, but it looks like one was already made. It's pretty fun. I never played Dwarf Fortress or anything like it before. You can adjust the difficulty to anything from Builder Mode difficulty with the Builder storyteller (where the attacks are very small and far between) to regular attacks that are enormous. I prefer more of the basebuilding side of the game, with a little bit of combat thrown in to keep my base designs honest, but you could tailor it to whatever works for you. You just can't turn attacks completely off, and the attacks get larger every time (with no max size), so every colony is eventually doomed. Just know that before you buy!

And also, there are loads of awesome mods that you can add to the game. I highly recommend customizing your game with mods. You can make the game harder or easier with them.

Quill18 on YouTube has a couple colonies on his channel from Alpha 8 and 9 that would give you a good idea of if you would like the game. He doesn't save scum at all, which is easily done in the game.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
When you assign tasks to your workers, are they called rimjobs?

Daelos

Guarding the guardians
This dropped on steam some days ago, and I picked it up. Been enjoying it very much. I've always liked base building games, and this one seems to scratch that itch very well.
Nothing like having Frank the Brewer going insane and running around putting stuff on fire because Fred his pet Alpacca was killed in a freak roof collapse, then the rest of the crew has to stay up all night putting out fires, getting tired, and starting fistfights with each other. Everything ending with Frank regaining sanity and carrying the others to sick bay and tending to them.

Hathe

Silver Knight of the Realm
I've put 15-20 hours into this game. Game is hilarious, lots of random events. You'll run out of food and your colonists will eat a corpse because that's the next available food source and go berserk or vomit everywhere. I had one colonist that prioritized cleaning and would go around cleaning blood from battles and vomit everywhere, then try to clean the vomit. Probably cryptosleep sickness, but hilarious timing. My friend had one guy go berserk from their surroundings, went outside to attack a group of elephants and got trampled to death.

I made a large prison with about 7 beds in a really tight space and captured everyone that came to visit with the intention of recruiting them for my own colony. Eventually I got to the point to where I could not feed them and they all tried to kill each other. The last remaining guy tried to break out through the door but was met with a shotgun to the face. It may not be worth $30 for most people, but I've gotten far more enjoyment out of the game than I have most $15-20 titles.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Hathe has the right idea how to play this game.

Its more about paying attention to the details of why your colonists are doing x and y, very dwarf fortress in that aspect.

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If you've always wanted to try Dwarf Fortress, but couldn't get past the 80286 graphics and interface I suggest having a look at Rimworld. It's early access but definitely one of the better titles to come out of this format, and has been stable and very playable for over a year.

Gameplay wise It's a mixture of base building and survival. You build a base and care for your colonists, grow food, build defenses etc. Each colonist has their own strengths and weaknesses, and a detailed body simulation (so injuries can affect their aim, walking speed, social relations etc). Temperature and weather is also simulated and can affect things.

The good and bad events are controlled by an AI storyteller, who determines the type and scale of events that appear and how frequently they happen (ie steadily increasing difficulty, sandbox or random)

A bit like Prison Architect, things tend to go wrong in very spectacular ways. Crops all froze due to an early winter and food stores burned down? Butcher a prisoner and try your hand at some cannibalism? Good chance of a mental breakdown happening now though...

I apologize if this reads like an ad but I've sunk hundreds of hours into this game already and can't recommend it enough.

Available on Steam now, or a DRM free version at the offcial site.

Trailer:

Resources:
official site: https://ludeon.com/blog/

https://www.reddit.com/r/RimWorld/

• 1Like

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I use Expanded Prosthetics and Organ Engineering and More Trade Ships. The first lets you craft more bionic parts and lets you fix some problems that are otherwise crippling to colonists (like a shattered spine). The other just increases the frequency of orbital traders arriving so you can run a bit more of an economy and actually produce food or items for money.

• 1Like

wamphyr

Molten Core Raider
Fuck this game.
This is a great game, but I wanted to have Dwarf Fortress like this game.
Why didn't they made it medieval ? Fuck.

Mick

<Gold Donor>
I wish the maps could be bigger. I want a huge mountain fortress. Anyone know if there is a mod that does this?

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I wish the maps could be bigger. I want a huge mountain fortress. Anyone know if there is a mod that does this?

Not sure if you knew this already, but when you are choosing a site on the world map you can click on "advanced" and choose a larger size.

• 1Like

Mick

<Gold Donor>
I did not notice that. I will have to look at this when I get home tonight. Thanks