Ring/Nest/Other Camera Doorbell Megathread

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Semi-related question. Occasionally doing some uber due to its mobility, but I've seen enough wacky uber videos on here to know how psycho people are. So if I'm gonna keep doing that I should probably have some kind of camera in the car. What'd be a cheap and effective option (preferably that can be turned on and off)? Something with low visibility is probably also a good idea. I'm wondering if there are any phone apps that turn the phone into a dash-cam without it overriding your top layer app (since presumably you'd need it to dial 911 in the event of an issue). Gonna look into that tomorrow.

99.9% chance I'll continue never having an issue with how sporadically I do it, but on the off chance yeah. Any recommendations?
The following site has good info and people posting videos of most cameras on day/night. They have an active forum for the camera makers and have a bunch of in depth reviews. They also have a short list of "Best dash Cams of 2023" at the top, if you don't want to spend a bunch of time on it. For Uber, you will want a duel cam set up, or two cameras; one front facing, and one for inside.

You can also sort their comparison tool by rating, to get an idea of best price to quality value.

Edit:
This $170 camera looks good for Uber/Lyft drivers, as it has infrared for inside at night:

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
i'd say either the viofo t130
d300351d7f6eddfe0e46f5082cbe7525.png

VIOFO T130 3 Channel Dash Cam Uber, Built in WiFi and GPS, 1440P+1080P+1080P Three Way Triple Car Dash Camera, IR Night Vision, Supercapacitor, G-Sensor, 24 Hour Parking Mode, Support 256GB Max

or the bluesky
1560da59a079ce1d067b0e09c37c2c62.png

Dash Cam Front and Inside,Blueskysea B2W 1080P WiFi Dashcam with 2'' LCD Screen,2 Rotatable HD Lens,IR Night Vision,32GB SD Card, WDR,Voice Recording,G-Sensor,Parking Mode Optional

i've had the viofo a129 and it works great, this one is entirely app driven, which i like more cuz the tiny screen on the devices suck and sometimes they're positioned in a way that it's impossible to look at (if you don't have a mount and it's already 3m'd to the window, youre SOL)

the viofos also have the ability to add a bt remote to power on/power off

Last edited:

Burns

i'd say either the viofo t130
d300351d7f6eddfe0e46f5082cbe7525.png

VIOFO T130 3 Channel Dash Cam Uber, Built in WiFi and GPS, 1440P+1080P+1080P Three Way Triple Car Dash Camera, IR Night Vision, Supercapacitor, G-Sensor, 24 Hour Parking Mode, Support 256GB Max

or the bluesky
1560da59a079ce1d067b0e09c37c2c62.png

Dash Cam Front and Inside,Blueskysea B2W 1080P WiFi Dashcam with 2'' LCD Screen,2 Rotatable HD Lens,IR Night Vision,32GB SD Card, WDR,Voice Recording,G-Sensor,Parking Mode Optional

i've had the viofo a129 and it works great, this one is entirely app driven, which i like more cuz the tiny screen on the devices suck and sometimes they're positioned in a way that it's impossible to look at (if you don't have a mount and it's already 3m'd to the window, youre SOL)

the viofos also have the ability to add a bt remote to power on/power off
That Viofo T130 looks ideal, as you then, in addition to a front and interior cam, get a rear camera for accidents and more coverage if damaged while parked. It also has a capacitor, which is nice for hot climates.

Camtalk doesn't have an official review yet, as it looks like it has been, somewhat recently, released, but one of the users does a full rundown video on it:

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Semi-related question. Occasionally doing some uber due to its mobility, but I've seen enough wacky uber videos on here to know how psycho people are. So if I'm gonna keep doing that I should probably have some kind of camera in the car. What'd be a cheap and effective option (preferably that can be turned on and off)? Something with low visibility is probably also a good idea. I'm wondering if there are any phone apps that turn the phone into a dash-cam without it overriding your top layer app (since presumably you'd need it to dial 911 in the event of an issue). Gonna look into that tomorrow.

99.9% chance I'll continue never having an issue with how sporadically I do it, but on the off chance yeah. Any recommendations?

Id assume youd want a camera with high visibility to deter any attacks.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
That Viofo T130 looks ideal, as you then, in addition to a front and interior cam, get a rear camera for accidents and more coverage if damaged while parked. It also has a capacitor, which is nice for hot climates.

Camtalk doesn't have an official review yet, as it looks like it has been, somewhat recently, released, but one of the users does a full rundown video on it:

i'm pretty sure it uses the same sony sensor as the a119 2k, so you really can't go wrong

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Id assume youd want a camera with high visibility to deter any attacks.

I was thinking low visibility so that nobody feels watched or weird about it. Though I guess high would deter attacks yes. I'm less worried about an attack and more worried about being falsely accused of something by some woman that I rub the wrong way with an offhand remark. Like saying "no" if asked if I think Trump should go to jail. That kind of hateful answer could get me in all kinds of trouble. If a woman reports something to Uber, Uber will instantly take her side and boot you off the platform and refer you to the police if it's serious. And you have zero recourse unless you have some kind of footage.

Not actually all that concerned about any kind of altercation given that I don't do this often and when I do I get along with 100% of the people I get. I just don't want there to be any ambiguity about my non-guilt if I get accused of something. Also accidents are a concern. Was in a side-swipe accident a few weeks ago and have no camera footage of any kind to help me out with that if I get sued. Now if I had a Tesla I would, plus it wouldn't have happened in the first place because Tesla safety features blare a warning if the car behind you speeds up to block you while you're merging into their lane (which is what happened).

Last few ubers I took didn't have any visible cameras in their cars, so either they were well-camouflaged or they just weren't bothering.

As far as "coverage while parked" goes, a month or two ago I had someone put a dent in my car while parked and not present. No note left of course. Haven't even gotten around to fixing that one yet. Getting pretty tired of dealing with this car bullshit considering I don't even drive nearly as often as most people. In any case it would be great if I had some kind of "always on" camera that covered me while parked, but I'm not sure if those are a thing. I'm really curious as to whether Tesla cameras are on in low-power mode or something while the car is parked, given that they run off of the computer and the car wouldn't need to be on. Probably getting a Tesla in the near-ish future (the months of waiting for one to be delivered is a problem, unless that's been fixed by now).

Burns

I was thinking low visibility so that nobody feels watched or weird about it. Though I guess high would deter attacks yes. I'm less worried about an attack and more worried about being falsely accused of something by some woman that I rub the wrong way with an offhand remark. Like saying "no" if asked if I think Trump should go to jail. That kind of hateful answer could get me in all kinds of trouble. If a woman reports something to Uber, Uber will instantly take her side and boot you off the platform and refer you to the police if it's serious. And you have zero recourse unless you have some kind of footage.

Not actually all that concerned about any kind of altercation given that I don't do this often and when I do I get along with 100% of the people I get. I just don't want there to be any ambiguity about my non-guilt if I get accused of something. Also accidents are a concern. Was in a side-swipe accident a few weeks ago and have no camera footage of any kind to help me out with that if I get sued. Now if I had a Tesla I would, plus it wouldn't have happened in the first place because Tesla safety features blare a warning if the car behind you speeds up to block you while you're merging into their lane (which is what happened).

Last few ubers I took didn't have any visible cameras in their cars, so either they were well-camouflaged or they just weren't bothering.

As far as "coverage while parked" goes, a month or two ago I had someone put a dent in my car while parked and not present. No note left of course. Haven't even gotten around to fixing that one yet. Getting pretty tired of dealing with this car bullshit considering I don't even drive nearly as often as most people. In any case it would be great if I had some kind of "always on" camera that covered me while parked, but I'm not sure if those are a thing. I'm really curious as to whether Tesla cameras are on in low-power mode or something while the car is parked, given that they run off of the computer and the car wouldn't need to be on. Probably getting a Tesla in the near-ish future (the months of waiting for one to be delivered is a problem, unless that's been fixed by now).
I believe the parking modes are a bump sensor or motion sensor that will trigger the camera to start. Otherwise it would kill your battery if left parked long term, like in your garage overnight. Also, sim cards have limited writes before getting bad sectors, so continuous recording would eat them (I would guess that professional drivers go through sim cards too, as a lot of truckers have dash cams).

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I believe the parking modes are a bump sensor or motion sensor that will trigger the camera to start. Otherwise it would kill your battery if left parked long term, like in your garage overnight. Also, sim cards have limited writes before getting bad sectors, so continuous recording would eat them (I would guess that professional drivers go through sim cards too, as a lot of truckers have dash cams).
yea, if parking mode is a worry, need to get the models that specifically have wake up and record on motion sensing, cuz the bump sensor is just retarded, it "maybe captures" the license plate of a guy that backed into you.