Risk of Rain

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Got this today.

Rougeish action platformer, lots of focus on the action. Costs 10 dollars on steam. I bought it based on the video below, and he didn't lie. It is hard. Very hard. Recommend it tough, very fun if you enjoy these types of games. I enjoyed Rogue Legacy too, but this seems better with the constant classes (as mentioned by TB in the video). Controller feels a bit more clunky to use in this game, so would stick with keyboard.

WARNING: If you do have a controller and unplug it while playing, the FPS will tank to the low 10s and below. Need to restart the machine then or plug back your controller.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Alright picked this up since I didn't feel like playing poe, it's REALLY good. I spent about 3hours on it and haven't done much, difficulty is quite high, however a lot of it is RNG and you could very well get the right items in the first level and get really far even on your first game, but still. The combat is really nice, so far the 2 classes I have(only managed to unlock one, can't fucking kill level 3 boss) play very very differently, one is the one that's in the video, kinda highly mobile ranged character with good single target damage but poor aoe but the 2nd one, Enforcer, is like a shotgun+shield tank, way less mobile but you can setup you shield to block frontal attacks(prevents you from moving) and you get like a stun grenade, a melee knockback and your main shotgun attack while having much more limited range pierces right away so you can aoe packs of small shit easily as long as you have your back against a wall.

Definitely would recommend it especially since it's cheap, as long as you don't mind a game that's fairly punishing and the rogue-like system where you restart everytime with nothing. Oh and as noted in the video, the music is insanely good.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Alright picked this up since I didn't feel like playing poe, it's REALLY good. I spent about 3hours on it and haven't done much, difficulty is quite high, however a lot of it is RNG and you could very well get the right items in the first level and get really far even on your first game, but still. The combat is really nice, so far the 2 classes I have(only managed to unlock one, can't fucking kill level 3 boss) play very very differently, one is the one that's in the video, kinda highly mobile ranged character with good single target damage but poor aoe but the 2nd one, Enforcer, is like a shotgun+shield tank, way less mobile but you can setup you shield to block frontal attacks(prevents you from moving) and you get like a stun grenade, a melee knockback and your main shotgun attack while having much more limited range pierces right away so you can aoe packs of small shit easily as long as you have your back against a wall.

Definitely would recommend it especially since it's cheap, as long as you don't mind a game that's fairly punishing and the rogue-like system where you restart everytime with nothing. Oh and as noted in the video, the music is insanely good.
I am really bad at this game, but it is indeed very good. Music, as mentioned, is fantastic and the gameplay is the best I've tried in a roguelike game so far. RNG does definitely change your experience every time you play. Way you get the items feels similar to Binding of Isaac, only there are more items here, and since some are in stores (random still), you do have a bit more choice as you can see what you get then and get your favorite items instead of it just being completely random like Isaac.

Still not unlocked a second class. Wish the controls felt more fluid, but that might be the first class since it needs to stop every time you shoot. At this rate, I will never unlock anything though.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Well some of the unlocks are guaranteed stuff so you'll eventually get them if you progress, like level 3 unlocks bandit, finishing the game unlocks another guy, finishing the game 5times unlock another, killing the 3 different bosses in level 1 unlocks Enforcer and using 40drones unlocks Engineer. Some are RNG based though so meh. I had a good run before I had to take a break, got to stage 5, then at the end the teleport has 2 choices, revisit an old world or go to last level, however since I'm using a pad and it has weird button naming(like trigger_key_forward), I couldn't tell which button was what, assumed the same button as usual was last level, nope, instead got dropped back into level 1 but it was 30+ minutes so bosses were spawning left and right and ended up dying when I activated the teleporter and 3 lava worms spawned along with one flying jellyfish boss shit, was pretty crazy. I had really good RNG on loots so I could kill heal up a lot and had triple shields so super tanky. I think I could have finished the game if I had clicked the right one so pretty annoying, but I guess I'll try the bandit now.

Controls wise I think it's very tight and yeah you have to stop to shoot that's part of the "balance", the piercing shot goes very quick though so it's best when you're kiting a large amount of mobs, and doing the rapid fire shit as it knockbacks a lot. Only use the normal shot when the situation is under control to increase damage but otherwise it's mostly running around relying on the specials and items. Drones are especially good for that as they shoot while you're running, and shit like tesla/fire eye can do damage while running too. There's a char that can shoot while moving though, Huntress. There's also some that don't require to face and shit. Didn't play them but read about it.

Anyway I really like that unlike Rogue Legacy, you don't have to grind anything since it's true rogue style where you start with nothing everytime. In Rogue Legacy it was more about leveling up so it was annoying, and also sometimes you'd roll shit classes. Here you can decide to unlock stuff but it just adds the items to the random pool so it's not particularily needed, even though some of the items added are definitely good.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Alright one last post since I'm almost done with the game, still probably will fuck around with it a bit, fuck the achievements in it though a lot are retarded.

Unlocked most characters, only mercenary left which require finishing the game 5 times so not too hard, I'm up to 4 atm. The thing I wanted to talk about was how strong some of the characters are in comparison to others. For example when I unlocked the Huntress, I had read she was fairly strong so wanted to check how strong, and finished the game right away even though I didn't find a healing item until Temple(stage 5), I did have the invuln activate though. You just run around and since she shoots while moving and autotargets shit(so she can shoot behind her), it's highly unlikely you get hit by anything but projectiles which are easily avoidable with jump, and she does fairly good aoe damage on top of her kit. Everything was just running back and forth kiting stuff without any difficulty(for all the lack of luck on regen items however I got quite good luck on damage items and got a hit list on stage 1).

The first char I finished the game with was the Engineer. While he has no escape move, his set is so strong for similar reason(you can run around dropping mines with a turret or two dropped and kill mobs without having to stop) but also because you get a move that fires missiles, similar to the activated item/proc item, which means they seek targets and go through walls. You can cheese a lot of stuff with those if you don't mind the time. On that run my luck was the contrary of the huntress run, I found a fuckton of tank and healing items, and almost no damage. But it was ok because he has such high base damage. I also got lucky and got a drone repair tool which was perfect with the items I got, I had 1healing drone 1rocket drone for most of the playthrough and got 2 laser drones on stage 4 on top of it, so I just stood in the middle of mobs with healing drone+various healing items and tank items and spammed mines/rockets/grenades non stop.

On the other hand, you have characters like the Miner and the Sniper which are more or less trash. The Sniper can be fun at first, especially when you one shot the first stage boss if it's like the Wandering Jellyfish thing, but the lack of good aoe and reliance on the charged shot is so frustrating and clunky. The Miner has like the dumbest moveset possible and even though he's melee with crap for invuln frames, he does shit damage. Unlike the Enforcer or HAN-D who both do damage and have a lot of tankability, he's just bad at everything it seems, other than having a built in double jump. Neither of those 2 tanks is much better though, I just don't like the playstyle. HAN-D can be nice against some mobs if you find the right items and the Enforcer is pretty ok but end up dying due to inferior skillset most of the time even with good items RNG.

Anyway, got 16hours played according to steam, so for a 10$ game that's pretty fucking solid, and I probably still have 3-4hours left before I get bored of it. Definitely an awesome game.

Picked it up today, played just a little over an hour. I've only managed to make it to the third stage so far, but I'm enjoying it. Enforcer is the only class I've unlocked so far, but I much prefer the default class.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Its a fun little game. It seems the characters you unlock progressively get worse (im looking at you sniper) and/or trickier to use. Somehow, I think its an intentional design choice, just so you can prove how badass you are.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Its a fun little game. It seems the characters you unlock progressively get worse (im looking at you sniper) and/or trickier to use. Somehow, I think its an intentional design choice, just so you can prove how badass you are.
Well the 2 chars you unlock last(most likely) are the 2 most powerful ones, the Huntress(need 15monster logs, unless you specifically farm them it takes a long time to get them and even if you farm them it takes a while) and the Mercenary(finish the game 5 times). The Engineer and Acrid are better than the Commando imo, so there's also that. Enforcer/HAN-D are kinda meh, Miner and Sniper looks pretty much like poop unless you get godlike item RNG and Bandit is very similar to the starting Commando, with more damage but worse survivability imo. Also the Infusion is pretty much a broken item, especially if you get a boar boss at some point since you can just farm the mobs it summons for +5hp every 10-15secs or whatever it is. I had 2 boar bosses on one map at one point so I farmed for a couple of minutes and ended up with 1600health or so when it was still 30mins in, made the rest stupid easy.

Superhiro

Silver Knight of the Realm
I'm loving this game. Unlocked my 5th char, and beat it twice on easy. Going to start working on medium because its kind of a joke with the engineer on easy.

Jabberwhacky

Lord Nagafen Raider
What's the secret to getting online to work? Couldn't find each others' games and all the ports kept saying "Closed."

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'm having fun with this game, but I feel like I'm not getting very far. Any beginner's tips? Are you guys playing on normal difficulty or easy?

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I'm having fun with this game, but I feel like I'm not getting very far. Any beginner's tips? Are you guys playing on normal difficulty or easy?
You don't want to play on easy as you don't get any achievement(well most of them don't work, some do), so you can't unlock classes and items. It takes a bit to get used to, generally you want to not waste time, you should try to complete levels in about 5mins, you can start slacking once you get past level 4 as at that point it doesn't make much of a difference anyway.

In level 1, you should try to find the teleporter asap, see if there's items you want on the way in the ones you can see, or large chests. If you find many item stuff and they're not too far from the teleporter, you can farm mobs for a couple of minutes to get enough gold, then start the teleporter and go open the chests during the countdown so you don't waste time. Level 2-4 you just want to rush the teleporter, the mobs get annoying and you'll spend a lot of time there which makes the next levels harder. Level 2s are alright but level 3 if you get the one with the water and you took too long it gets really fucking messy and level 4 if you get the lava level with too much time it's generally going to be very very hard to beat it cause the boss is all kinds of gay.

Level 5 and 6 though are always the same and I find the difficulty is about the same wether is 20mins or 30+ mins so that's when you want to make sure you open everything by farming and what not. For last level if you don't have the right items, I'd advise skipping mobs, just activate the doors then run away, hide on a ladder or just run back and forth avoiding shit while the doors open, and rush to the bridge, starting the final boss despawns all the mobs and he's fairly easy.

You should find the character that fits your playstyle too. The starting one is ok but not great unless you find a lot of proc damage items, as its base damage is kinda meh but he has super fast attackspeed. Bandit which you can get from completing level 3 is a nice alternative but again not super good, I'd say kinda average. The good characters you can unlock early are the engineer(use 40drones total, don't have to be in one game so it eventually unlocks even if you chain die on lvl 2) and Acrid which you need to fight and beat on level 3 if it's the water one(not the snow one), you can do him after the teleporter is done which makes it a ton easier. The 2 best classes are Huntress(need 15 monster log, takes a long time) and Mercenary(finish the game 5 times) so those you probably won't get right away. Can edit saves if you want though.

Thing though is levels aren't randomly generated, they're always the same. They have some stuff that can change(for example snow level has a bridge that sometimes is broken) but overall only your starting position changes, and there's like 4-5spots for teleporters so once you've played enough, you can find the teleporters quickly by checking usual spots. In terms of general tip, don't stand still, like ever. Also jump a lot. Jumping avoids most attacks and you can still fire while in the air with most stuff, it also lets you keep moving while you play the animation, if you attack while on the ground you'll generally stop. You can survive a lot better if you just always are running and jumping, in fact you should rarely facetank stuff unless you got godly RNG items.

Balroc

Molten Core Raider
Acrid is the way to go. I thought engineer was pretty good but he's just a shittier Acrid - limited mines for kiting and his turrets can be destroyed.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
But he has more effective range and you can cheese shit offscreen with missiles. But yeah Acrid is pretty insane if you get only a few semi decent items, his aoe damage is way above basically everything else.

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
Thanks, I will try that stuff out.

So far I think I just unlocked Enforcer, which I'm reading is pretty worthless. I will work towards Engineer/Huntress/Acrid.