Rock Band 4

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
Edit: Since when did RB3 guitars become collector items? Some guitars in box unopened going for $200+ ? wtf? lol...
I think a lot of them are no longer produced. Hence the increase cost. If you can, get a guitar hero guitar. They work on rockband and on average seem to respond much better on both button presses and strum bar(I like this for the audible click to sync with the song/strums). Though I've had to replace the switch in the strum bar a couple of times because they put shitty ones in there.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
You're going to laugh, but we were in a similar situation and found our answer at Main Event. We talked to a manager and basically agreed that we'd spend ~100 on games that gave tickets, and he'd discount the guitar for us. He didn't want it in his arcade, but he couldn't outright sell it to us, so it worked out nicely.
That's freakin' sweet. You got lucky! You can find some used guitars on Ebay in the $30-$40 range, so it's not terrible, but I keep thinking if I spend a few more bucks, I can just get RB4 or GHL. Then again, neither of those allow for custom songs, as described above.

I've been more of a fan of Rock Band than Guitar Hero in the past, but was just reading a comparison review of both, and I'm not one to purchase DLC all that much, and GH Live TV sounds way more up my ally than what RB offers. Then again, the story mode for RB has been said to be amazing. Tough choices...

Crone

Nah activision is continuing to run the GH franchise into the ground. RB is the clear cut winner this time around
Why? GHTV sounds pretty cool to play 200+ songs and growing, or at least changing out the songs pretty often? Although I don't really want to learn a 6 button guitar, so I don't mind having to go with Rock Band.
smile.png

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
The fact that there is purchasable in game currency for GHLive is all you need to know about where their priorities are. RB4 has some problems (mostly gui related), but its by far the superior product and WAY more fun as a party game.

Also, for anyone looking for the best guitar to use with the game, I always had the best luck with the Beatles RB ones until they eventually both wore out. Have not tried the new PS4 specific ones yet, though. Also, the Ion drum kit still works on the PS4.

Crone

Still haven't picked this up yet but wanted to get a cheaper Xbox 360 guitar. Anyone have one laying around that could help with model numbers? My Google-fu is failing me.

XBGTS2 is from Rock band 3? 822153 I think is from the first rock band?

I prefer rock band 2 of 3 guitar, or as mentioned above the Beatles guitar, but haven't been able to verify what model numbers go with what game.

Maybe some of you have the guitars laying around and could help out. Thanks!

Crone

Yeah the new guitars are trash. Surprisingly my old ps3 guitar from guitar hero works on ps4 rock band #blessed
Was looking at going that route until I realized that ps3 guitars require an extra wireless dongle that people want another $25 for on eBay.

BruuceWarduck_sl

shitlord
Oof yeah my old ps3 guitars came with dongles and they worked with my ps4/rockband. Ive went through SO many different equipment on these fucking games its pretty ridic. Were really only very few that felt real good. original ps2 one was better than 95%

spronk

FPS noob
you can buy console versions of rb4 with legacy adapter (for older guitar/etc) for $40-45 on amazon

also looks like pc gamers are not into rock band, the kickstarter to port the new game to PC is going to fail not even reaching 50% lol
Rock Band 4 for PC + Rock Band Network - Fig: Video Game Crowdfunding

not a great week for harmonix - kickstarter fail, bad earnings, and today for a few hours PS4 users were able to get their new game amplitude for free

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Which is a shame. Rocksmith is great because of the customs library available. Sure it exists for the PS/XB but it is so much easier on PC. I'd love a RB4 on PC that got cracked to allow customs like Rocksmith.

Also GH World Tour guitar is the GOAT guitar

Crone

you can buy console versions of rb4 with legacy adapter (for older guitar/etc) for $40-45 on amazon

also looks like pc gamers are not into rock band, the kickstarter to port the new game to PC is going to fail not even reaching 50% lol
Rock Band 4 for PC + Rock Band Network - Fig: Video Game Crowdfunding

not a great week for harmonix - kickstarter fail, bad earnings, and today for a few hours PS4 users were able to get their new game amplitude for free
The legacy adapter is for the Xbox One, and allows you to use your Xbox 360 guitars on the Xbox One. I have a Xbox 360, and went PS4 this time around. The dongle we mentioned are specifically for the Ps3. Do the Ps3 wireless guitars work on the PS4 without the dongle? Probably not... time to google some more... Found the answer:

Edit: Answer is yes, you still would need that USB dongle that came with the PS3 instruments, which pretty much every single guitar on Ebay for PS3 does not come with. lol.
smile.png

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
PS4 related information:

I have several guitars for the PS3 version of the game. A dongle is needed for them, but they all work pretty well, once you calibrate stuff properly. Standouts have been the Beatles RB guitars (just got another one off of ebay), the Gene Simmons Axe guitar (wife loves this one), and the old Mad Catz Ps2/Ps3 Rickenbacker base guitar controllers (these are not as precise, but very durable). You have to do manual calibration, but they all work pretty solidly once you get the right delays worked out.

The new guitar controllers suck balls. Not only do they not calibrate properly, but their mere presence will cause other older peripherals to go out of sync or cease function all together. You actually have to restart the game to correct this issue and it even affects the vocal tracks. Do NOT buy any of these, if you can help doing so. You are better off getting someone in the know to repair old ones (usually spring replacements and cleaning electrical contacts are enough) than opting for one of the new hunks of shit.

Drum wise, the Ion Kit works great, but you need to put it on a rubber pad because static buildup from the kick pedal will cause the USB connection line to wig out. We have not tested the standard kit.

Mics, I have a Sure 58 with a USB adapter that actually works better in this game than it did for RB3 (I think the PS4 USB slots have more voltage), but certain tracks are insanely picky on expert without a bog standard USB mic. For the average person, you could use a normal mic or Bluetooth headset and be just fine.

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
The legacy adapter is for the Xbox One, and allows you to use your Xbox 360 guitars on the Xbox One. I have a Xbox 360, and went PS4 this time around. The dongle we mentioned are specifically for the Ps3. Do the Ps3 wireless guitars work on the PS4 without the dongle? Probably not... time to google some more... Found the answer:

Edit: Answer is yes, you still would need that USB dongle that came with the PS3 instruments, which pretty much every single guitar on Ebay for PS3 does not come with. lol.
smile.png
What you can do is buy a guitar that matches one you wore out and just repair the dongle with the ebay one (or cannibalize it for parts).

Crone

Actually only have the game disc for Xbox 360 version of rock band 3 anymore.

But it's ok, because I picked up a sweet deal off craigslist. $40 and I'm getting rock band in a box bundle, that I believe was exclusive to Ps3. It's like rock band special edition or something. So guitar, drums, mic, at least one dongle and looks like maybe a USB hub.

Will pick up rock band 3 and 4 as cheap as possible for ps3 and 4, and be good to go! Excited to finally get to play again!

Now I gotta check if it's possible to load up custom songs onto a ps3 like someone posted a while back for the 360.

Crone

Costco is closing out the Rock Band 4 Band in a Box at $99!! If your Costco has any stock left, it'll be at $99.97.

Just picked it up!