Rocketman (2019)

Faith

Useless lazy bastard.
5.00 star(s) Rating: 5.00/5 1 Votes
Title: Rocketman (2019)

Tagline: Based on a True Fantasy

Genre: Music, Drama

Director: Dexter Fletcher

Cast: Taron Egerton, Jamie Bell, Richard Madden, Bryce Dallas Howard, Gemma Jones, Steven Mackintosh, Tom Bennett, Matthew Illesley, Kit Connor, Charlie Rowe, Stephen Graham, Tate Donovan, Harriet Walter, Jason Pennycooke, Ophelia Lovibond, Jimmy Vee, Celinde Schoenmaker, Rachel Muldoon, Sharon D. Clarke, Evan Walsh, Peter O'Hanlon, Ross Farrelly, Sharmina Harrower, Aston McAuley, Alexia Khadime, Carl Spencer, Leon Delroy Williams, David Doyle, Dickon Tolson, Leigh Francis, Graham Fletcher-Cook, Sian Crisp, Guillermo Bedward, Max Mackintosh, Charles Armstrong, Barbara Drennan, Leon Cooke, Micah Holmes, Diana Alexandra Pocol

Release: 2019-05-22

Runtime: 121

Plot: The story of Elton John's life, from his years as a prodigy at the Royal Academy of Music through his influential and enduring musical partnership with Bernie Taupin.

Faith

Useless lazy bastard.
f4FF18ia7yTvHf2izNrHqBmgH8U.jpg

Title: Rocketman

Cast: Taron Egerton, Jamie Bell, Richard Madden, Bryce Dallas Howard, Gemma Jones, Steven Mackintosh, Tom Bennett, Matthew Illesley, Kit Connor, Charlie Rowe, Stephen Graham, Tate Donovan, Harriet Walter, Jason Pennycooke, Ophelia Lovibond, Jimmy Vee, Celinde Schoenmaker, Rachel Muldoon, Sharon D. Clarke, Evan Walsh, Peter O'Hanlon, Ross Farrelly, Sharmina Harrower, Aston McAuley, Alexia Khadime, Carl Spencer, Leon Delroy Williams, David Doyle, Dickon Tolson, Leigh Francis, Graham Fletcher-Cook, Sian Crisp, Guillermo Bedward, Max Mackintosh, Charles Armstrong, Barbara Drennan, Leon Cooke, Micah Holmes, Diana Alexandra Pocol

Plot: The story of Elton John's life, from his years as a prodigy at the Royal Academy of Music through his influential and enduring musical partnership with Bernie Taupin.

Faith

Useless lazy bastard.
I liked it. Mostly because the main character was played by our friend from Kingsman. He did a wonderful job playing Elton John.

Faith

Useless lazy bastard.
Is it actually good, or is it like a shit fuck karaoke cosplay like the Queen movie was?

Apparently he do all the singing on his own, and its (to me at least) excellent. Did not know he had that talent.

Edit: I should say I dont have a firm grasp of the history of Elton John since I usualy do not listen to his music. Despite this I liked it. Gave me background, the acting was top notch, intresting life he seems to have lived, and fuck his entire family.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Faith

Useless lazy bastard.
go be gay somewhere else

Gay preformer is gay... to much for russian news to handle... jesus christ.

• 1Worf

Scoresby

Trakanon Raider
This is on my list. Really like Egerton (if nothing else but Kingsman) and it seems like a real approach to Elton's life. Have to imagine being that famous (and gay back in the day) would fuck with the best of us.

• 1Like

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Saw this last night. Infinitely better than Bohemian Rhapsody. Lead was infinitely better too. Weak vocals. I liked how it was a little more fantasy than reality when they sang. Like floating around on Crocodile Rock.

Il_Duce Lightning Lord Rule

Lightning Fast
<Charitable Administrator>
f4FF18ia7yTvHf2izNrHqBmgH8U.jpg

Title: Rocketman

spronk

FPS noob
saw this last night, unlike some of the earlier posters i thought this was super boring. i'm not a elton john fan although i recognized about half the songs, my issues with the movie would be (1) man this dudes life is boring as fuck, its basically "my parents sucked" and "i did a lot of drugs" (2) the songs didn't really fit into any of the scenes and the lyrics are pretty lame.

By contrast I like Mama Mia because the lyrics thematically work in the scenes and play off well and are really fun, whereas here they feel just jammed in hard and make little sense in context. I rewatched a few minutes of Bohemian Rhapsody after and while that movie has a lot of problems glossing over shit Queen/Freddie did, its way more fun and interesting to watch.

Ultimately Elton's big problem is that he lived to a ripe old age, which is a fucked up thing to say but its true. He didn't really have any super crazy anguish or despair like Freddy Mercury, Kurt Cobain, Jimi Hendrix, Amy Winehouse, Elvis, Bob Marley, Morrison, etc, etc so a movie about his life is gonna be kinda boring. There is also virtually no struggle in his career in this movie, he literally comes up with every song on the first try with no difficulty which is a weird thing to put in a musicians biography movie.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
There is also virtually no struggle in his career in this movie, he literally comes up with every song on the first try with no difficulty which is a weird thing to put in a musicians biography movie.

the irony of that is that it's been well published that when he's writing music, if he can't pull it together in 5 minutes he drops it. i'm sure it takes him a lot longer to perfect a song, but the general idea and tone only take him a few minutes. on one hand, i'd love to be a fly on the wall for his writing process. i'd love to watch a documentary about that. but i'm not particularly interested in watching a dramatized biography about his life.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
saw this last night, unlike some of the earlier posters i thought this was super boring. i'm not a elton john fan although i recognized about half the songs, my issues with the movie would be (1) man this dudes life is boring as fuck, its basically "my parents sucked" and "i did a lot of drugs" (2) the songs didn't really fit into any of the scenes and the lyrics are pretty lame.

By contrast I like Mama Mia because the lyrics thematically work in the scenes and play off well and are really fun, whereas here they feel just jammed in hard and make little sense in context. I rewatched a few minutes of Bohemian Rhapsody after and while that movie has a lot of problems glossing over shit Queen/Freddie did, its way more fun and interesting to watch.

Ultimately Elton's big problem is that he lived to a ripe old age, which is a fucked up thing to say but its true. He didn't really have any super crazy anguish or despair like Freddy Mercury, Kurt Cobain, Jimi Hendrix, Amy Winehouse, Elvis, Bob Marley, Morrison, etc, etc so a movie about his life is gonna be kinda boring. There is also virtually no struggle in his career in this movie, he literally comes up with every song on the first try with no difficulty which is a weird thing to put in a musicians biography movie.
I've only made it about halfway through the movie (I'm not interested enough to do this in one go apparently), and it's like, "First time writing a song...instant hit." "First time ever performing...massive venue, sells out multiple nights, instant success." Followed by a montage of him surpassing the Beetles, becoming a multi-millionaire, and basically just fucking crushing life.

He basically never failed once he got into the industry. I don't know if that's accurate, but it's not super interesting.

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
“Hey we don’t have any new ideas”

“Let’s make a movie about a LGBT singers life that glosses over the interesting shit but makes us look woke ”

“Awesome, bohemian rhapsody was a success. Now what should we do?”

“Let’s do it again just not as good with Elton John and we will add more gay sexy scenes to really be woke “

“BRILLIANT”

George Michael is surely next

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database