Roku Box

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
So I just picked up one for my GF, anything I need to know about this thing? Im aware of plex

iannis

Musty Nester
Nothing special I think. I've had one for about a year. I had to replace the batteries in the remote once.

The only mildly annoying thing I can think of about it is I have to reset mine when the power goes out.

Scathing criticisms.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Easy to use. Works great. Good purchase. Congratulations.

Duppin_sl

shitlord
The fact that it doesn't have autoplay for Netflix makes me a sad panda.
frown.png

frown.png

frown.png

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
No autoplay for Amazon prime either. Seek/browse times on my external HD attached via USB is painfully slow. Seems like it scans the whole directory anytime you jump to one. Pretty sure it scans the whole HD on initial load of the 'file browser app'. Haven't tried anything shared over the network yet.

Homsar

No autoplay for Amazon prime either. Seek/browse times on my external HD attached via USB is painfully slow. Seems like it scans the whole directory anytime you jump to one. Pretty sure it scans the whole HD on initial load of the 'file browser app'. Haven't tried anything shared over the network yet.
Im messing with the streaming from my desktop to it atm. Is it worth spending the $40 more and getting the high end box ?

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
You can't expect a full blown HTPC for $100.

Homsar

You can't expect a full blown HTPC for $100.
No but streaming all movies and having my hard drive plugged into it does everything I need, even if I have a HTPC i would only use it for what the Roku box does

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Should have used quote. I was referring to the guy complaining about it being slow interfacing with the external HD. At that price point the hardware has to be pretty bare bones and mostly geared toward displaying HD video.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
I should say that I don't actually use a Roku, I have a HTPC but I got one for my sister for Christmas last year and she loves it and it seems pretty nice when I have used it at her place.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
I upgraded all of my TV's and they are all DLNA now so I ended up giving my Roku to my in laws and we use a Qnap NAS now to stream. Better than having to leave my PC on all the time, easy access from anywhere including mobile devices, my own cloud storage drives and you can do a shit ton with them. Even the basic ones. Well worth the cost. Connecting the drive to the roku could work but then I'd have to disconnect it every time i wanted to add something. That isn't an issue with NAS since its all on the network from the get go. Every device, every where. They start at around 2 rokus so its not like they are super expensive either.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
If it came down to Roku or Apple TV which would you pick? I've messed with Apple TV and it's nice but never screwed around with Roku.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
If it came down to Roku or Apple TV which would you pick? I've messed with Apple TV and it's nice but never screwed around with Roku.
Roku. But it really depends on if you have services you subscribe to or what file types you have in your current library.

Hekotat

It's a gift for a non power user, basically just need Netflix and Hulu. I went ahead and got the Roku LT since it was half the price. Thanks for the input.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
I bought the Roku HD for my older bedroom TV so I could watch Netflix and DLNA from my computer. Setup was a breeze, the footprint is tiny, and once you get Plex set up right home media streams consistently well. Plex itself was annoying to setup initially, but that's another story. Roku was $75 well spent.

Hekotat

I bought the Roku HD for my older bedroom TV so I could watch Netflix and DLNA from my computer. Setup was a breeze, the footprint is tiny, and once you get Plex set up right home media streams consistently well. Plex itself was annoying to setup initially, but that's another story. Roku was $75 well spent.
Yeah I run PLEX on my HTPC and it works well but I really hate that the themes overlap the awesome fucking pictures for the show. Will the PLEX stream over WiFi only?

She'll just be using the Roku for Netflix so I think I'm good.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
What is the difference between one of these and a $100 smart blue ray player which can do streaming as well as play blue rays?

Lenas

Trump's Staff
New Roku 3 has an updated interface and the remote has a headphone jack which could be pretty useful for anyone that's married/has roommates and wants to watch shit late.