Routers & Other Networking Stuff

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
Are you fucking stupid?

You have to do some jerry rigging nonsense to get unofficial hardware to auth into their fiber network. I don't want to deal with that. I've looked into it before.
So tried setting up a dream machine. Piece of shit wouldn't connect from mobile app. Says no internet connected as well. Fuck this sending it back

• 1Thoughts & Prayers
Reactions: 1 user

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
So tried setting up a dream machine. Piece of shit wouldn't connect from mobile app. Says no internet connected as well. Fuck this sending it back
I did get mine to work and its fine now.

You need to factory reset it out of the box for it to initialize correctly. If you have a gateway/bridge mode on the modem this needs to be activated first prior to you hooking it into the dream router.

And I had to do the initial setup from the browser of a machine hooked directly into it. Mobile app didn't work until after I had set it up.

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
No dude. You can literally ssh into it and download firmware or just reset. Give it a chance.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
FiOS is the same way. Have to use their gateway. Put it in bypass mode and you lose alot of the features on the tv boxes - guides, info, watch-it-now catalogue, etc. I turned off the wifi and use 2 AP Pros in the house with the Ubiquiti management suite on my RPi along with PiHole for DNS filtering. I want to repurpose the RPi away from network management cause it wears out the SD card with it's logging read/writes.

Ubiquiti has a new version of the old UGS that's not quite a Dream Machine, Cloud Gateway Ultra. I'm considering it if ever comes back in stock. Anyone know anything about these?

FIOS is only that way if you use it for TV. If you just use it for internet, you can plug whatever you want directly into the ONT.

Sledge

Trakanon Raider
I had internet installed at a new shop a few years ago. They basically brought the wire into the warehouse and mounted a router on the wall. My office is 100' away so I just ran a 100' ethernet cable from the router to my desktop computer because I'm not a fan of those USB dongle type wireless set ups.

Last month I set up another office with a desktop computer that's 130' away from the original router and I don't really want to run another long ethernet cable through the ceiling. The wifi strength isn't all that great at that distance.

What do I need to hook up the new desktop to the internet, but still use an ethernet cable? Do I get a wifi extender that has ethernet out hookups?

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I have a 2 story with a finished basement. Whole house is just on wifi, Ethernet isn’t ran anywhere. Currently have a Velop tri-mesh set up with four nodes that’s 4 years old or so. The WiFi isn’t great, what’s the best option to replace it? One or two of those u7 pro’s?

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I had internet installed at a new shop a few years ago. They basically brought the wire into the warehouse and mounted a router on the wall. My office is 100' away so I just ran a 100' ethernet cable from the router to my desktop computer because I'm not a fan of those USB dongle type wireless set ups.

Last month I set up another office with a desktop computer that's 130' away from the original router and I don't really want to run another long ethernet cable through the ceiling. The wifi strength isn't all that great at that distance.

What do I need to hook up the new desktop to the internet, but still use an ethernet cable? Do I get a wifi extender that has ethernet out hookups?
Disclaimer: I'm just a dude who has set up a home Unifi system and spent some hours watching videos/reading on it. A lot of people seem to like the mesh systems, but I've never used one. It is an option if you don't want to run any more wires though.

If your work computer is a desktop and has no wireless card, or a shitty wireless card, maybe get a better one, since they are cheap. I don't know if they can overcome excessively shitty signal strength from the router though.

It may be the case that the router you are using is weak. So it's possible that you could just buy a stronger access point, plug it into your router (turn off the router's wifi) and just mount it on the wall in that area to get a better signal. I've only used Unifi access points with a Unifi router/system, so don't if it's more difficult setting up just a U6+ access point or U6 Long-Range on it's own.

(Also Hateyou Hateyou ) Mesh systems are generally going to be more expensive, but last I looked the Unifi stuff is top tier. Both the Youtube channels below have good videos on the Unifi systems if you go surfing around their channels. Linking a video from each to give options.

This video goes over the tools to evaluate your wifi strength and some recommendations before he gets to a quick talk about meshes:

This is mostly a set up video for the Unifi equipment, but it might be worth watching the start because he gives his opinion of mesh (they should only be used as a last resort) and more info on a mesh setup in general:

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Honestly outside of weird niche and enterprise I don't know why more people aren't using mesh. I bought a 6E mesh and with 6ghz dedicated backhaul I get 900mbps over wireless. What more do you actually need in any home or random small business? Got a weak signal area add another node.

• 1Like

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
Honestly outside of weird niche and enterprise I don't know why more people aren't using mesh. I bought a 6E mesh and with 6ghz dedicated backhaul I get 900mbps over wireless. What more do you actually need in any home or random small business? Got a weak signal area add another node.
Same dropped a 6k mesh router that cover 3k and so for don't need an AP. Small single story. However will prolly drop an ap near back of house for the pool area

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
It's too bad that doesn't have a couple PoE ports.
Yeah, you know they make other products that do right? This would be on the cheaper end of their cloud gateways and marketed as such…

Why are you always so negative dude?

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Nija

<Silver Donator>
I use Ruckus Wireless gear for the last 5 or so years. Before that, ubnt. Still have a few devices, but for APs, Ruckus POE APs.