Salary Negotiation Question

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Okay so your current salary is $150,000 a year.

You find a job doing something that you enjoy. Maybe not a total dream job but something a little better than what you currently do.

They offer you $1X0,000 but you have to roll a D10 for the X to see what you get. If you roll a 10 you go up, not 0 so it would be $200,000.

Do you do it? Why? Why not?

• 3Picard
  • 1Like
  • 1Barf
Reactions: 4 users

Oldbased

> Than U
When I negotiate, I never take less than a .45 caliber to the table because anything less and they know you ain't serious. Now if you walk in with Armalyte automatic assault assing rocket rifle raccoon then you ain't gettin shit.

Edit to add- if my pay was $150k a year, I'd have a new hooker every let's see 52 weeks x$400 for some high end shit, every 3 days. Plus own my own home and drive a decent car. Oh and I would have a hottub too.

Also also. I would roll the fucking dice. Because YOLO. If you get a 1, see .45 above.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Il_Duce Lightning Lord Rule

Lightning Fast
<Charitable Administrator>
I thought about making a long post detailing the odds of getting all the various outcomes of a roll of a D10 die, but then I remembered I suck at dice rolling and am neverlucky with that shit.

So is it worth it for a minor bump in job/life satisfaction for a (likely for me) hit in salary? Eh, at that level of income in my area, I'd give it a 7/10

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
When I negotiate, I never take less than a .45 caliber to the table because anything less and they know you ain't serious. Now if you walk in with Armalyte automatic assault assing rocket rifle raccoon then you ain't gettin shit.

Edit to add- if my pay was $150k a year, I'd have a new hooker every let's see 52 weeks x$400 for some high end shit, every 3 days. Plus own my own home and drive a decent car. Oh and I would have a hottub too.
Do you demand a D20 instead?

Why? Why not?

• 1Like

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I thought about making a long post detailing the odds of getting all the various outcomes of a roll of a D10 die, but then I remembered I suck at dice rolling and am neverlucky with that shit.

So is it worth it for a minor bump in job/life satisfaction for a (likely for me) hit in salary? Eh, at that level of income in my area, I'd give it a 7/10
What if it's the exact same job in every single way except you can have a single snack once a work day from the cafetaria for free. They are stocked with at least 10 snacks that you like a lot.

Why? Why not?

• 1Worf
  • 1Like

Oldbased

> Than U
Do you demand a D20 instead?

Why? Why not?
No because 100-200k would be more in a single year than I've cleared in a year after tools, materials, paying workers and anything else. To be truthful it may be near double after all that shit so worst case scenario my needs would be 200% better and maybe 400%. I'm still getting those hookers though.

One thing I would not do is save more than 20k of it. I'm already going, and I'm excited I am still here. I have no kids, so why the hell would I save it.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Oldbased

> Than U
4sur

download.jpg

• 1Like
  • 1Worf

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I worked for AEG. I demand an Exploding D10.

• 1Solidarity

Lightning Fast
What if it's the exact same job in every single way except you can have a single snack once a work day from the cafetaria for free. They are stocked with at least 10 snacks that you like a lot.

Why? Why not?

I'm honestly a poor judge for this question because 150k is so much more than I make right now it's not even funny. That said, a few snacks is a poor reason to risk the potential of losing 40k/yr of salary.

Now, if it was darts at 30 paces or something... but I have no confidence in my dice-rolling skills :)

• 1Like

Oldbased

> Than U
I'm honestly a poor judge for this question because 150k is so much more than I make right now it's not even funny. That said, a few snacks is a poor reason to risk the potential of losing 40k/yr of salary.

Now, if it was darts at 30 paces or something... but I have no confidence in my dice-rolling skills :)
I'm guessing this is a fate or luck eval. Me, I don't mind rolling the dice but if it is something I can utilize any skills I have to improve the chances, even better.

• 1Like

Lightning Fast
Ya, if this is a 'general risk assessment of our posters' questionnaire, I'm not basing my response on a dice roll being truly random, I'm basing it my history of dice hating me.

• 1Like

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Apparently people are answering this thread legitimately now.

So in my case, I currently make a little over $80k a year. I re-did my projections earlier today and I'm thinking at our current rate of savings we can retire by the end of 2021. Due to taxes and phase outs, a bump up to $150k would give me about another $30k in take home pay. And it'd knock about 9 months off our projected retirement time.

The additional income at $200k would get us closer to June 2020. So all in all, best case scenario is 2 years, 4 months of work. Staying where I am in the hypothetical is another 3 years of work. And worst case scenario is not too far off from where I am with another 3 years, 10 months.

I would say no, I wouldn't take the new job. Even though the earning potential is higher, I'm not really gaining that much. I'm also not losing much, but I'd be comfortable enough with $150k in income that I kind of don't care.

• 1Like

Oldbased

> Than U
Apparently people are answering this thread legitimately now.

So in my case, I currently make a little over $80k a year. I re-did my projections earlier today and I'm thinking at our current rate of savings we can retire by the end of 2021. Due to taxes and phase outs, a bump up to $150k would give me about another $30k in take home pay. And it'd knock about 9 months off our projected retirement time.

The additional income at $200k would get us closer to June 2020. So all in all, best case scenario is 2 years, 4 months of work. Staying where I am in the hypothetical is another 3 years of work. And worst case scenario is not too far off from where I am with another 3 years, 10 months.

I would say no, I wouldn't take the new job. Even though the earning potential is higher, I'm not really gaining that much. I'm also not losing much, but I'd be comfortable enough with $150k in income that I kind of don't care.
I was always answering truthfully. You just have to piece together 2-3 posts to get the full reasons why.
Kentucky has low food/housing/utility cost. I could squeak by comfortably on 50k a year and even get by barely on 25k. 100k+would likely just mean newer cars, better insurance and vacations as we both suffer from various illness. 200k and I wouldn't know what to do with it. I don't live like a rat. I live in a 3 bedroom 2 bath house but I am very frugal.

• 1Like

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I tell the interviewer let's flip for it. On a serious note I will negotiate on my end how much I want to be paid depending on several items. If I have to live in town, commute in town, and such the price goes up quite a bit. Different for everyone. Quality of life goes up, the price goes down. Quality of life goes down, price goes up.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
Pretty sure I'm not answering correctly but, making just a hair shy of 6 figures just by my lonesome, I would take a 20% cut pretty willingly for a job in an industry I'm passionate about, say cycling related. Caveat...my work hours also currently suck.

• 1Solidarity