Salt Lake City

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Will hopefully be visiting a friend for a few days after a motorcycle tour of sorts from Colorado.

Major sights, eats, worthy things to see or do on a fairly tight time table? (2-3 days tops so no like camping, day hikes etc)

Cukernaut

Sharpie Markers Aren't Pens
<Gold Donor>
Utah is like same beautiful landscape of Colorado but replacing all of the libertarians and hippies with Mormons.

Apparently the Mormon temple hq is an interesting sight to behold just as a curiosity.

Other than that can’t really help I went in the winter and just skiied. Park city is cool but it falls short of a breckenridge.

Lake Powell looks super cool to me to do around this time of year.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Most of the top notch Utah outdoor sights are in the south side of the state

As for SLC itself, see this.

Campbell1oo4

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Hey man, I lived in SLC for a year (actually Murray, but it's part of the Greater SLC area).

So here are some things I can recommend...

1 - Sugarhouse Coffee, best coffee in SLC. Filled with leftists and hippies, but order the Cuban Revolver and you'll be wired for the rest of the trip.

2 - Fort Douglas Miltiary Museum, I used to intern here. There's a lot of cool shit like legit iron crosses, and a vehicle park with sherman tanks and willy jeeps. Also they have a STG-44 in mint condition.

3 - Day trip to Park City. Walk up and down the Main Street. Buy an overpriced beer. Honestly, the drive in is more worth than the actual town. The town itself is real expensive, but the landscape around it is beautiful.

4 - Temple Square, the holy Mecca of Mormonism on Earth. You can't go into the temple because you're a filthy gentile, but you can look at it.

5 - Eagle Gate, right next to Temple Square. The gate itself is just a piece of metal over an intersection. Next to it is a house that was the home of one of the original settlers. Some bigwig. Never been, because I am a filthy gentile.

6 - This Is the Place Park, this is like a little village/open air museum that's filled with mormons petting goats and pretending it's 1850. I would not recommend it. I took a mormon girl here for a date and she loved it, but I just kept trying to find a place that sold beer. Spoiler alert, there is none.

7 - Ensign Peak, is a hill overlooking the entirety of Salt Lake City. Honestly, if you do anything on this list walk up Ensign Peak. In the very least you will be able to take awesome pictures of the city. It's the hill from which the original mormons organized the entire layout of the city.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
So here are some things I can recommend...

6 - This Is the Place Park, this is like a little village/open air museum that's filled with mormons petting goats and pretending it's 1850. I would not recommend it. I took a mormon girl here for a date and she loved it, but I just kept trying to find a place that sold beer. Spoiler alert, there is none.

Sebudai

Ssraeszha Raider
Zion, Bryce, Arches, Goblin Valley, etc. are in southern Utah, so a few hours drive away. There's a zillion trails to hike of varying lengths and difficulty within a few minutes drive of downtown. Otherwise you're looking at Park City area for natury stuff.

For downtown SLC I'd go walk around City Creek and Temple Square and maybe take a tour (you can ask for a "historical," non-proselytizing version). I don't go to bars very often but people seem to like places like Beer Bar and Bar X (owned by the guy from Modern Family), Beerhive, Green Pig, etc. There's an Arcade Bar called Quarters that I've never been to, but it sounds fun. For Museums you could check out the Museum of Natural History over at the University of Utah and/or the Leonardo.

I'm not a foodie and I mostly only eat out for breakfast. Some of my favorite places are the Little America Coffee Shop, Penny Ann's Cafe, and Ruth's Diner. Ruth's is a short but nice little drive up the Canyon if you want some scenery.

Salt Lake City has the largest city-operated cemetery in the country if you want to go see some dead Mormon prophets!

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
As people have said, definitely check out the outdoorsy areas, from driving south or going to Park city. One of my favorite drives is the back way into Park city using Guardsmans pass. Some good hiking to be found too.

The pass might be closed though with all this rain we've been getting lately though.

yeahthatisneathuh

Trakanon Raider
I am a foodie and there is so much to recommend in the Salt Lake area I'm overwhelmed. Tripadvisor can set you up pretty well but if you have specific food cuisines you want I can give some guidance.

As others have said, definitely take a tour of Temple Square, it is legitimately very interesting. There is also a pretty fun set of piano bars in downtown SLC that might be your speed. Some people go just for the singing and good times, some people go to get slammed. Due to the culture there are a lot of decent to great singers in the general populace, and I enjoy it most times I've been.

I cannot stress enough how beautiful Zion national park is, if I only had 1 day and wanted to not be tired from hiking every day I'd either take the shuttle across the park to see a bunch of vistas, or hike Angels Landing. If you have more time, try to see the Emerald Pools.