Scott Lynch (Gentlemen Bastards)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Seventh

Golden Squire
Didn't see a thread on this, but actual news today regarding the next book:

http://www.gollancz.co.uk/2013/03/pu...ic-of-thieves/

The Orion Publishing Group (UK & Commonwealth) and the Random House Publishing Group (US) are thrilled to announce the publication of the third instalment in Scott Lynch?s popular fantasy series that began with The Lies of Locke Lamora. THE REPUBLIC OF THIEVES will release on October 10, 2013 in the UK and Commonwealth and October 8, 2013 in the US

Budrick

Molten Core Raider
Good news everybody. I think I might have to go back and reread the first 2 again this summer. I barely remember them.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Lynch >>>>>> Sanderson. First two Gentleman Bastards books are my favorite of all the newer fantasy out there, just amazing reads.

Sanderson is great, and wildly prolific, it's just not a fight I think I'd pick anyone over Lynch in right now based purely on how much I enjoy reading their books. If you ignore volume I'd probably got Sanderson 3rd behind Lynch and Abercrombie out of the young badasses.

edit: All just my opinion of course. Lies is one of my favorite books of all time. From a couple pages in on it never once lost my attention.

Lynch >>>>>> Sanderson. First two Gentleman Bastards books are my favorite of all the newer fantasy out there, just amazing reads.

Sanderson is great, and wildly prolific, it's just not a fight I think I'd pick anyone over Lynch in right now based purely on how much I enjoy reading their books. If you ignore volume I'd probably got Sanderson 3rd behind Lynch and Abercrombie out of the young badasses.

edit: All just my opinion of course. Lies is one of my favorite books of all time. From a couple pages in on it never once lost my attention.
Perfectly valid opinion. I think Lynch is by far the better pure writer and his Alien Mediterranean setting is really great , however the worlds that Sanderson builds and the magic systems he creates put him over the top for me. Abercrombie gets third simply because he seems to only be able to write in one mode. Gritty and shades of grey, which while I have found all of his books a cut above everyone but Lynch and Sanderson, I can't romp through all of them at once if that makes sense.

Nebuchadnezzar

Golden Squire
Good for Lynch, hopefully this puts his anxiety problems behind him. Easily my most anticipated novel for the rest of the year...

satael

Silver Squire
I'll believe it once the book is actually in print (it has been delayed too many times already).

Running Dog_sl

shitlord
Lies was great. Red Sails was less great, it's like there were two shorter books that got spliced together and the plot got messy requiring lots of sailing back and forth. However, the guy can write, and I love the setting he's created. I'd put Abercrombie ahead of him but not by much, and stick Patrick Rothfuss up there as well.

Archangel_sl

shitlord
Lynch has been through a sort of living Hell to get this MS to publication point--I feel for him on one hand, and on the other hand I am screaming, "It's about damned time!" *lol*

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Hmm I'll have to take a look, been so stuck on series by my regular rotating authors, it is time to try something else. Thanks guys.

Himeo

Vyemm Raider
I'll believe it once the book is actually in print (it has been delayed too many times already).
No. You can believe it. The book is going to print this time. Ever since the problems started years back Lynch said he wouldn't confirm the books print date until it was really done. He confirmed this one and the publisher also said the final manuscript was in. It's legit.

Antarius

Lord Nagafen Raider
Good news everybody. I think I might have to go back and reread the first 2 again this summer. I barely remember them.
Novel 1: Locke is raised by a master thief. The crime lord of the city is slain by a bad dude (spoiler within the spoiler, his sisters, the twins and also help in the violent overthrow). Locke's friends(family) are caught in the middle and all of them die except 1 (and the girl who he loves who is away). He is almost caught up by the city's secret police, but he saves all the nobles who were about to be slaughtered (subplot involving selling counterfeit wine). He eventually gets revenge and kills the bad dude and cripples the wizard that was working with the bad dude. Flashbacks indicate how he learns about wines and rich people and about being a priest of the 13th. He destroys his entire life savings as a funeral rite for the dead friends.

Novel 2: Plot A) He works his way up the gambling society by cheating his way to the top, he makes the rich guy at the top think he is trying to break into his impenetrable vault, but he really only wants the paintings which turn out to be reproductions.
Plot B) The dictator and the merchant guild are fighting a war and locke is in the middle. The dictator makes them take poison and forces them to become pirates. They pretend being pirates, but fail miserably at it, and eventually join a real pirate crew who help them overthrow the dictator.

I read the books twice, last time about a year ago, and that's pretty much all I can remember.

Nebuchadnezzar

Golden Squire
Blurb for Book 3, spoilered for those than haven't read the first two.

Locke Lamora is dying?

Locke and Jean barely escaped with their lives from what should have been the greatest heist of their career, in the port city of Tal Verrar. Now they head north, looking for sanctuary and an alchemist who can cure the poison that is slowly killing Locke. They find neither, but with their luck, money and hope exhausted, they receive an offer from a power that has never had their best interests at heart: The Bondsmagi of Karthain.

In exchange for the chance that Locke might be saved, the Bondsmagi expect the two Gentlemen Bastards to rig an election in their home city of Karthain. They will be opposed. The other side has already hired the services of Sabetha Belacoros, the one person in the world who might match Locke?s criminal skill, and the one person in the world who absolutely rules his heart.

Now it will be con artist against con artist in an election that couldn?t be more crooked, all for the benefit of the mysterious Bondsmagi, who have plans within plans and secrets they?re not telling?

Himeo

Vyemm Raider
Three months to go. My anticipation is killing me!

Time to start reading the first two. August for LoLM, and September for RSURS.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
this available via e-reader? I think I'll download a copy so I can read something else besides certification books.