Short term car solution

Seananigans

Potato del Grande
<Screenshotted>
I wanted to see if anyone had any experience with a short-mid term car leasing or rental situation.

TLDR version is I have a 95 accord that I'm done throwing money at, and a Tesla Model 3 pre-ordered. I probably need a solution for 6-10 months until I can get my Tesla; my accord is starting to act up.

I've looked around at lease swapping sites (looked interesting but not experienced with how lease swapping works), and can't get any info on mid-term rental pricing because places are closed, and nobody seems to publish that on their websites that I can see in a few minutes of poking around.

Any suggestions on a car solution for that rough time period, that won't involve me having to go through any ownership rigamarole? Looking for a sedan anywhere from new corolla to newish Lexus IS as far as demographic. One of the lease swaps I found was 10 months left on an IS350, seemed solid, but again no experience with that shit. Mileage isn't an issue, I have a short commute and don't drive much extra, more looking for comfort and simplicity over my current 22 year old pile.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Just buy a car off a private used car lot for $1000 and drive it for 6 months, then sell it back on CL for a few hundred bucks.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Honda 1995 -> Tesla 2018
710x528_2664630_1992441_1459311658.jpg

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Just buy a car off a private used car lot for $1000 and drive it for 6 months, then sell it back on CL for a few hundred bucks.

I agree with this, just buy some shit pile that's likely to continue running for your short term needs.

I'd recommend another old toyota, or a miata. You can get these stupidly cheap and resell it in 6 months.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
I dont care much for cars, so when I moved to California 6 months ago I bought a 12 year old Ford Escape with 170K miles on it for $1700. Been driving it for 6 months and if it lasts another 6 months, which it should easily, I've basically got my money's worth and I can probably flip it back on CL for $1K or more

Any kind of lease take over, or long term rental seems excessively complicated or risky.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
And just as an aside I wouldn't set your timeline in stone on the model 3 either, Tesla is notoriously on CP time as far as deliveries go. Until you have the thing in your hands I'd consider it "always 6 months away"

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
I also cannot fathom how you go from 22 year old accord to a brand new Tesla.

But yea, a 1000 dollar beater is a way better option than a short term lease. In terms of ease, as well as dollars spent.

Seananigans

Potato del Grande
<Screenshotted>
I also cannot fathom how you go from 22 year old accord to a brand new Tesla.

But yea, a 1000 dollar beater is a way better option than a short term lease. In terms of ease, as well as dollars spent.

It's pretty easy, you just buy a Tesla.

Anyhoo I guess I didn't explain the situation clearly enough because I might as well keep my accord and fix whatever's going on with it, rather than fuck with an interim "beater." I already have the beater, the polling for suggestions involved something nicer for the short term. If you read between the lines, I'm doing ok financially and need something appropriate until I receive my Tesla which, while Cad is right that they're notorious for pushing deadlines back, should be in my hands in under a year regardless. It's just that one year is an obnoxious time period when dealing with cars, if you're trying to get out of a beater and into something nicer.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
I might as well keep my accord and fix whatever's going on with it, rather than fuck with an interim "beater."

Maybe, maybe not. If you have a $2k bill to get your accord running again lets say (I have no idea what it is, just giving an example) and you can get an already running '94 miata for $3k, and then sell it again in a year for $2500, then you saved $1500 by shitcanning your accord and getting a beater...

Just depends on whats wrong with your accord and how much it'll cost to fix vs. likely depreciation on a cheap ass beater for a year.

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
There is nothing wrong with driving around a 22 year old car, whether you have money or not.

There is nothing wrong with spending on a new Tesla.

I think we are just shocked because those two things dont usually go hand in hand with the same person.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

Anyhoo I guess I didn't explain the situation clearly enough because I might as well keep my accord and fix whatever's going on with it, rather than fuck with an interim "beater." I already have the beater, the polling for suggestions involved something nicer for the short term. If you read between the lines, I'm doing ok financially and need something appropriate until I receive my Tesla which, while Cad is right that they're notorious for pushing deadlines back, should be in my hands in under a year regardless. It's just that one year is an obnoxious time period when dealing with cars, if you're trying to get out of a beater and into something nicer.
yea but at least you "know" your beater, funky sound, you heard it b4, you know what it needs, even tho it might need something.

some CL beater? da fuq is this sound!!!

Seananigans

Potato del Grande
<Screenshotted>
yea but at least you "know" your beater, funky sound, you heard it b4, you know what it needs, even tho it might need something.

some CL beater? da fuq is this sound!!!

Well yes, hence the crowd-sourcing suggestions for a nice comfortable interim solution -- I want out of beaters completely.

And re: Gunnar, sure, most people don't do that. I've had old cars my entire life because I'm frugal. But I'm in a financial position where I'm allowing myself to graduate from old -- but still dependable -- cars to something nice that I'll ENJOY owning for 10+ years.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Well yes, hence the crowd-sourcing suggestions for a nice comfortable interim solution -- I want out of beaters completely.

And re: Gunnar, sure, most people don't do that. I've had old cars my entire life because I'm frugal. But I'm in a financial position where I'm allowing myself to graduate from old -- but still dependable -- cars to something nice that I'll ENJOY owning for 10+ years.

On that front I have had a lot of nice cars and I love my Tesla. It really is a very different kind of car with unique advantages and situational disadvantages that you don't run into much.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>

This. "Ownership rigamarole" is a lot less complicated than leasing/renting rigamarole, even if you're talking about just owning for 6-10 months.

Don't buy third-party used tho. Go to a lot that sells used cars.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
If you are to lazy to go through the annoying part you won't be doing a good deal.

Maybe get an e-bike for short commute.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
i had a coworker that liaised with the local rental company and ended up using them for a year or two for a vehicle, i guess he was taking shit they knew wouldn't be rented or something. I don't recommend this because it's likely retarded but thought i'd throw it out if it's very short term.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>

Araysar Araysar 's advice is still the best, just kick it up a notch if you need something more than a beater. Get a 10k car loan (if you qualified for a tesla another 10k should be fine) and get something used that's decent, take care of it, and sell it for just shy of what you got it from in a year.

Seananigans

Potato del Grande
<Screenshotted>
On that front I have had a lot of nice cars and I love my Tesla. It really is a very different kind of car with unique advantages and situational disadvantages that you don't run into much.

Yup, I've done a lot of research and spoken to some S/X owners, everything I've come up with has me nothing but excited and impatient.

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Probably would pick something popular that will be easy to sell again when the Tesla comes. Ford Focus/Fusion, 3-series or something. Ideally get something with a CPO warranty that's transferable to the new owner.

Not the cheapest option but if you can handle some depreciation that should be the least headache-inducing option.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I had a 95 Accord that drove for 250k miles and only ever needed brakes, tires, and cv joints. The fucking thing was a beast. I couldn't have bought a better car at the time. It's why I bought a 2013 Accord. Never had an issue with that car either.