Poll Site Style change to Fires of Heaven v2.0.1

What would you like the site style to be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Archdruid Archeron

the Site Surgeon
<Charitable Tech Admin>
13d 13h 31m
Reactions
1,993 151 0 0
I like the pics added for the different forums! Good work! Also, the new square box for them looks much much better than the old circle frame.
Thank you. I started with one concept and realized quickly that the icons were a good idea, but making them "faux-3D" was not fitting with the board style.

Crazy as it sounds, I am actually rather happy with the revisions to the footer today. I found it rather ugly and unwieldy before but I had an epiphany on the walk into work and threw it together quickly. I think it turned out alright.

Sabbat

Knight of the Realm
1d 12h 39m
Reactions
98 8 0 0
Any chance we can have the old style back as an option? I had that turned on and slowly it's been turned into this fuckfest over the past few days.

Archdruid Archeron

the Site Surgeon
<Charitable Tech Admin>
13d 13h 31m
Reactions
1,993 151 0 0
Any chance we can have the old style back as an option? I had that turned on and slowly it's been turned into this fuckfest over the past few days.
I got back to my desk, updated the Reaction add-on, and now I am going to look at this. It is odd because I haven't touched Classic in a while.

Thank you for reporting this.

UPDATE: I have temporarily disabled the "Node Grid" add-on that was used in Classic while I debug why it started shitting the bed for no particular reason.
Here is the information you are looking for.

A few people reported bugs with classic after Suineg updated some add-ons, including the grid node forum view add-on used on the classic homepage. I didn't have time to look into a fix, so I swapped Classic to default site styling.

I don't have time tonight since I will be staying up until 2am to do database maintenance. Tomorrow, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, I have social plans, so I have no eta on chasing down why the add-on started fucking up.

Would you please elaborate on what your specific concern is? 🙃

Sabbat

Knight of the Realm
1d 12h 39m
Reactions
98 8 0 0
My concern is that the classic style is gone, and it's been replaced with the 2.0 version. If this is intentional, can we please get the "old" classic back as an option.

Sabbat

Knight of the Realm
1d 12h 39m
Reactions
98 8 0 0
Sweet, classic is back to classic. Thanks for your incredibly hard work, Arch.

DickTrickle

Analrapist
<Donors Crew>
5d 2h 18m
Reactions
3,216 498 0 0
Sweet, classic is back to classic. Thanks for your incredibly hard work, Arch.
One minor thing, the front page forum view has a lot of empty space that compresses the forum information that wasn't there before. This is on desktop.

Archdruid Archeron

the Site Surgeon
<Charitable Tech Admin>
13d 13h 31m
Reactions
1,993 151 0 0
One minor thing, the front page forum view has a lot of empty space that compresses the forum information that wasn't there before. This is on desktop.
Thank you for reporting. It's disappointing that the style and add-on makers don't do better regression. 😬 I will take a look over lunch in the next two days.

Mr. K

Knight of the Realm
2d 10h 12m
Reactions
437 14 0 0
Is someone mucking with it today? The next page icon keeps disappearing on mobile. And it looks like the whole style changed.

Archdruid Archeron

the Site Surgeon
<Charitable Tech Admin>
13d 13h 31m
Reactions
1,993 151 0 0
Is someone mucking with it today? The next page icon keeps disappearing on mobile. And it looks like the whole style changed.
Yes, I added some tweaks to the page styling, but they were supposed to be "turned off" in the main style until I finish. Unfortunately, they were not. I have switched them off so that they don't interfere with normal operation until they are code complete.

Thank you for reporting!

Mr. K

Knight of the Realm
2d 10h 12m
Reactions
437 14 0 0
Sounds good, thank you sir!

Void

Hi Yukio!
<Donor All-Stars>
4d 4h 47m
Reactions
1,276 230 0 0
Interesting "bug" I just noticed. I made a post here where I spoilered some decent-sized quotes. When you click to show the spoiler, you don't get the "click to expand" prompt to see the rest of the quotes, they just cut off at the normal size of the quote box. The only way to read everything is to click the arrow that takes you back to the original post I quoted from.

Perhaps it can't be fixed, and that post is obviously not important in the least, but I thought I'd bring it to your attention.

EDIT: Well now the first one works correctly when it didn't right after I posted it. But the next two still don't work for me. So fuck if I know, maybe it will just randomly work or not!

DickTrickle

Analrapist
<Donors Crew>
5d 2h 18m
Reactions
3,216 498 0 0
When I check, the second one was the one that was cut off and you couldn't expand.

My guess is it has something to do with how it determines the size of the quote relative to the box, which may be why "Click to expand" is over the text instead of under it like it used to be. That could also be why it could change based on what size screen you're viewing it on.

Edit: This shit is actually very weird. If I reload and try different orders, different ones will show or not show "Click to expand." Even if I do them in the same order each time it changes. Sometimes the last two let me expand, sometimes it's just one, others times it's neither.

Archdruid Archeron

the Site Surgeon
<Charitable Tech Admin>
13d 13h 31m
Reactions
1,993 151 0 0
Interesting "bug" I just noticed. I made a post here where I spoilered some decent-sized quotes. When you click to show the spoiler, you don't get the "click to expand" prompt to see the rest of the quotes, they just cut off at the normal size of the quote box. The only way to read everything is to click the arrow that takes you back to the original post I quoted from.

Perhaps it can't be fixed, and that post is obviously not important in the least, but I thought I'd bring it to your attention.

EDIT: Well now the first one works correctly when it didn't right after I posted it. But the next two still don't work for me. So fuck if I know, maybe it will just randomly work or not!
When I check, the second one was the one that was cut off and you couldn't expand.

My guess is it has something to do with how it determines the size of the quote relative to the box, which may be why "Click to expand" is over the text instead of under it like it used to be. That could also be why it could change based on what size screen you're viewing it on.

Edit: This shit is actually very weird. If I reload and try different orders, different ones will show or not show "Click to expand." Even if I do them in the same order each time it changes. Sometimes the last two let me expand, sometimes it's just one, others times it's neither.

Thank you both for reporting. At a quick glance, it looks like this falls in the category of "lazy feature" with no real effort to solve the problem of nested quotes in nested quotes in nested quotes. I have logged it and will have a think about a way to "fix" their shit, but I am going to set this one as low priority on my list given that you can work around it by clicking the link at the top of the quote view the whole text in the original message.

Feanor

Trakanon Raider
7h 37m
Reactions
15,113 6,193 0 0
New layout is good. If you'll permit a mite of constructive criticism, at first I dug the round icons till I noticed the square ones fit better overall. They blend with the avatars for latest content on the home page. The circular ones were still nice looking and you could say they contrasted besides. Some of the icons are meh but several are neat and appropriate such as the mmo one, tabletop games, movie house and tech. You can sort of tell y'all rushed some of them. Otherwise the font, the colors, the larger phoenix favicon all work well. Everything looks sleek, modern and sweet as heck.

Great job. Fires of Heaven Dark is my favorite.

Archdruid Archeron

the Site Surgeon
<Charitable Tech Admin>
13d 13h 31m
Reactions
1,993 151 0 0
New layout is good...Everything looks sleek, modern and sweet as heck.

Great job. Fires of Heaven Dark is my favorite.
Thank you for the feedback. It has been a slog to get to something that I am happy to call "done (for now)": I think we are at that point.

If you'll permit a mite of constructive criticism, at first I dug the round icons till I noticed the square ones fit better overall. They blend with the avatars for latest content on the home page. The circular ones were still nice looking and you could say they contrasted besides. Some of the icons are meh but several are neat and appropriate such as the mmo one, tabletop games, movie house and tech. You can sort of tell y'all rushed some of them.
Yes, I rushed the icons. I spent no more than 20 minutes of work per icon. Some had multiple versions over a few days with each rev happening because of a new moment of inspiration. I started with a "let's give it a 3D feel" then said "make it match the avatars and more like a MMO hotbar" feel. And here we are.

I hate the TV one, the travel one, and the product reviews one. I am disappointed with RR, Mobile, and Sports. I may have a moment of inspiration for any of those at any point in the future and give them another 20 min to rev a new version of the icon. It may happen soon, or never. I raced to get a "good enough" set out the door so that the pressure is off and inspiration can come whenever from whomever.

Feanor

Trakanon Raider
7h 37m
Reactions
15,113 6,193 0 0
They do look like hotbars now that you mention it.

I hate the TV one, the travel one, and the product reviews one. I am disappointed with RR, Mobile, and Sports. I may have a moment of inspiration for any of those at any point in the future and give them another 20 min to rev a new version of the icon. It may happen soon, or never. I raced to get a "good enough" set out the door so that the pressure is off and inspiration can come whenever from whomever.
Will holler should I come across any that fit. I'd do the same, would rather finish then afterwards swap a placeholder at my leisure for whichever image catches the eye if and when.

At any rate, although there is always room for improvement everything looks right just as it is.

Awesome job once again. We all appreciate the hard work. The other styles look good also. Even the light one which I'm usually not thrilled about for a board.