Skylanders: Giants

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Mick

<Gold Donor>
Thinking about picking up the starter pack for my Wii-U.
Seems to have a decent metacritic score.
Anyone playing this currently?

Delly

Trakanon Raider
My kiddo plays it from time to time, I watched for a little while and it seemed interesting. Reminded of an easier version of Pokemon, though there was times his monster's died, fainted, or whatever.

Though if you search around different forums there is some hardcore people who play this game. Theory crafting and the best teams etcetc.

I was half tempted to play it too, but there are a lot of good games I have yet to play so I doubt I will ever get around to playing Skylanders.

Oberstein

Molten Core Raider
I started playing this with my daughter (10) about a month ago. I never played the original Spyro's adventure but am waiting for a good deal on the game only so I can play the Wii version on my Wii U. Its definitely a kids game, targetted for 7-12 I'd say, and the gameplay is a very watered down 3rd person action and you could beat it on normal difficulty in about 6 hours with the starter pack characters. There is some strategy on harder difficulties because characters are attuned to an element so you are encouraged to swap them out regularly during a level to get elemental bonuses for a particular area. That said this game is about collecting the figures, leveling them up and completing the challenges / difficulties. The main story is average, decent voice acting and graphics, but the story is meh. Again, its targetted to kids so my daughter enjoyed it. This game has held her attention for a month, but mostly because I keep picking up another character every week that she will level up and replay her favorite levels with. Some of the heroic challenges are definitely challenging and you can get many dozens (if not hundreds of hours) out of completing all the talent trees, levels (up to 15 for each figure) and star challenges for each level. Unless you are really into collectibles or have a kid / niece/nephew you might be dissappointed if you are a "hardcore" gamer.

Mick

<Gold Donor>
Sounds like I will pass on this then.
I was really hoping for it to be a 3d pokemon type of game that wasn't geared to a youger audience.

Oberstein

Molten Core Raider
For anybody else playing Skylanders with their kids (or by themselves...I dont judge). Here's a demo of the new Swap Force coming out later this year. I have to admit its pretty cool and if I'm going to be playing something with my 10 year old, I'm glad its this rather than Kinectimals or something. I think the idea of swapping halves is pretty cool, especially if it creats different combinations of abilities. One thing I will be doing this time is forcing my daughter to play on the hardest difficulty, so we dont finish the game so fast.