SLC Punk (1998)

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
0.00 star(s) Rating: 0.00/5 0 Votes
Title: SLC Punk (1998)

Tagline: God bless America... they're going to need it.

Genre: Comedy, Drama, Crime, Music

Director: James Merendino

Cast: Matthew Lillard, Michael A. Goorjian, Annabeth Gish, Til Schweiger, Jason Segel, Devon Sawa, James Duval, Summer Phoenix, Christopher McDonald, Chiara Barzini, Christina Karras, Adam Pascal, Jennifer Lien, Russell Peacock, Christopher Ogden, Francis Capra, McNally Sagal, Scott Brady, Vaughn McBride, Janice Knickrehm, Marcia Dangerfield, Tom Jacobson, Stephanie Shumway, Eric Robertson, Micaela Nelligan, Mary Bishop, Dominic Gortat, Evan O'Meara, Elizabeth Westwood, Glade Quinn, Brad Jessey, Don Walsh, Adam Lawson, Brandon Klock, Kassandra Metos, Brad Slocum, Joyce Cohen, Tracy Pfau, Kevin Breznahan

Release: 1998-09-24

Runtime: 97

Plot: Two former geeks become 1980s punks, then party and go to concerts while deciding what to do with their lives.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Random thing to see pop up on here.

Had a bunch of friends in the late 2000's who were really into this movie. So we all sat down one day and watched it for me and another person who hadn't seen it. They were acting like it was one of the best movies ever.

Unfortunately I just didn't "get it". Like I don't get this movie at all. Maybe someone can explain to me what I'm missing. The same friends also got me to watch Princess Bride, Batman Begins, and Spider-Man 1+2 and those were all great.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Random thing to see pop up on here.

Had a bunch of friends in the late 2000's who were really into this movie. So we all sat down one day and watched it for me and another person who hadn't seen it. They were acting like it was one of the best movies ever.

Unfortunately I just didn't "get it". Like I don't get this movie at all. Maybe someone can explain to me what I'm missing. The same friends also got me to watch Princess Bride, Batman Begins, and Spider-Man 1+2 and those were all great.
Felt the same way. I havent seen it in almost 20 years so I dont remember much. I think people just liked it because it was just a bizarre movie.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
The core theme is mainly of the main character realizing he has to grow up and join the real world, after trying to be this counter culture person the entire time. If you lived during the Mods and Punks era, it resonates much better. The main point of the ending is that the guy realizes he is not selling out, but rather growing up and out of his rebellious phase. It is a slow boil and if you had not grown up in those circles it probably fell flat. I really enjoyed it and thought Lillard and the guy playing his best friend killed it in the movie. Not for everyone, though.

• 1Like
  • 1Great Review
Reactions: 1 users

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
The core theme is mainly of the main character realizing he has to grow up and join the real world, after trying to be this counter culture person the entire time. If you lived during the Mods and Punks era, it resonates much better. The main point of the ending is that the guy realizes he is not selling out, but rather growing up and out of his rebellious phase. It is a slow boil and if you had not grown up in those circles it probably fell flat. I really enjoyed it and thought Lillard and the guy playing his best friend killed it in the movie. Not for everyone, though.
Good point. I was a punk/emo skater kid growing up. And thats when I watched this movie. Im sure if I watched this now that would all resonate with me. Eventually I had to grow up and take out the earrings and take off the band t shirts. But doesnt mean I have to stop the music. I should go back and rewatch this soon and see how it feels now.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database