Smartwaches

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Soriak_sl

shitlord
Is anyone using a smart watch (particular one that is compatible with the Nexus 5)? They sound pretty cool in theory, but at the same time, they don't seem to be quite there just yet. I looked at the Pebble online and $150 is pretty reasonable for a watch with some extra features. I saw that the Samsung Gear 2 now also works with the Nexus 5 (unofficially). That said, googling for the best apps on those watches returns some pretty underwhelming things.

The main thing I'd like is to see what emails/text messages I'm getting without having to pull out my phone. That'd be perfect for meetings. It'd also be great if I could have the watch vibrate in fixed time intervals (let's say every 5 minutes) to keep track during a presentation or some such.

Do existing smart watches pull this off reasonably well? I really wish I could test a Pebble Steel for a couple days with an easy return policy...

I do plan on ordering an Amiigo wristband in the next couple days as they said they're starting to ship them out soon (and so, hopefully, become available to order). So one of the neat features of the watch (pedometer) wouldn't be of any practical use for me.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Is anyone using a smart watch (particular one that is compatible with the Nexus 5)? They sound pretty cool in theory, but at the same time, they don't seem to be quite there just yet. I looked at the Pebble online and $150 is pretty reasonable for a watch with some extra features. I saw that the Samsung Gear 2 now also works with the Nexus 5 (unofficially). That said, googling for the best apps on those watches returns some pretty underwhelming things.

The main thing I'd like is to see what emails/text messages I'm getting without having to pull out my phone. That'd be perfect for meetings. It'd also be great if I could have the watch vibrate in fixed time intervals (let's say every 5 minutes) to keep track during a presentation or some such.

Do existing smart watches pull this off reasonably well? I really wish I could test a Pebble Steel for a couple days with an easy return policy...

I do plan on ordering an Amiigo wristband in the next couple days as they said they're starting to ship them out soon (and so, hopefully, become available to order). So one of the neat features of the watch (pedometer) wouldn't be of any practical use for me.
yes pebble.

you won't be able to google pebble apps cuz they have their own app store, it's basically all free, currently for droid version 2 is in beta but you just have to sign up as a dev and d/l it

Android Beta10

i have a pebble app that does just that, multi-timer, i can set multiple alarms, and each alarm can auto refresh after ring/buzz or whatever, you do this all within the watch. (i don't use this regularly, only when i need multi timers for like cooking, otherwise i just use a simple timer)

and yea all my txt/emails i just look at my watch, it's actually easier now to just leave my watch on.

usually i'd go home, take out my wallet, change, keys wedding ring, watch, phone and dump it all on my valet. now i keep my watch on basically 23/7.

also what i said previously, what i really like is playing a podcast on my phone, and pressing pause on my watch, phone stays in pocket, can even advance next track.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Once I rooted my Galaxy Gear and installed a custom ROM it was pretty badass. The new gear is supposed to do all the things the first generation should have with an increased battery life. Once they release more I'll decide if I'll get it or not but as of right now I don't see a real reason not to.