SO Some Doche Bag Hit & Run my wife Today

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
I was in a hit and run, called 911, met with cops, got police report. He knocked my rear bumper clean off, estimate to fix was $1900, insurance would cover $900, Sue'd the perp for my deductible ($1000).

Ended up getting $1900 out of it and now my car has no bumper.
Not even a wooden one?

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I was in a hit and run, called 911, met with cops, got police report. He knocked my rear bumper clean off, estimate to fix was $1900, insurance would cover $900, Sue'd the perp for my deductible ($1000).

Ended up getting $1900 out of it and now my car has no bumper.
Did your insurance company also sue the perp for their part? Hit & Run sounds like a minor thing in the US, here it's up to 3 years in prison (no probation on a sentence beyond 2 years possible)

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
It's fairly serious here too, not mandatory prison, but it can come with that depending how bad it was.

Brad2770

I was in a hit and run in Ft. Worth back in 1996. Chased the guy down and got plates. They found the car, but the old lady that owned it said someone must have stolen it at the time it happened. Since I couldn't ID the driver, she wasn't responsible. Never got shit from it.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
Its usually a felony in California. Unless you're Halle Berry or Amanda Bynes, then you can do it 4-5 times before you get a slap on the wrist. The latter having actually done it after a DUI, losing her license. and hitting a cop with a suspended license, and still....she got it dropped.

EvasiveGoose_sl

shitlord
Hey guys, yesterday I hit a Traverse (2013 I think) in Ft Worth. I've been known to publicly state "real men don't hit women" so I left the scene not to ruin my reputation.

I wish this would trick someone.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Did your insurance company also sue the perp for their part? Hit & Run sounds like a minor thing in the US, here it's up to 3 years in prison (no probation on a sentence beyond 2 years possible)
There's different rules for different states. Michigan is what's called a 'no fault' state where under normal circumstances if you plow into someone's car you're not liable for any damages to their vehicle. Their insurance pays for their car, your insurance pays for yours. There's probably exceptions if you're intoxicated, purposefully hit them etc.

There's also an idea of a deductible where if you have a $1000 deductible and the bill is $1900, the insurance company won't pay the first $1000. However, you can sue the other guy (or his insurance company) for that $1000 deductible. My current insurance company (Geico) handled the lawsuit all on their own and I just got a $1000 check in the mail. I had a similar incident ~7 years ago when my insurance was State Farm and they didn't handle the lawsuit stuff. (That knocked my front bumper off my previous car!)

As for the prison stuff, I dunno. The cops knew about him, he was a small time drug dealer. I got a mail letting me know he was going through court proceedings, but other than that I have no idea what's going on.

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
Ya in TX if you can't positively ID the driver and the owner of the car pleads ignorance they won't really do shit. If it's not an open and shut case, good luck. Especially in DFW where the detectives are already overwhelmed with cases.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
In CA it's only a felony if there are injuries.
The third one Halle Berry hit was in critical condition but survived. It was dropped to a misdemeanor and she did get 3 years probation though, so I suppose that's something...?
tongue.png
No charges were ever filed on her first two hit and runs. On all 3 she used the excuse "I feared for my safety."

Palum

what Suineg set it to
There's different rules for different states. Michigan is what's called a 'no fault' state where under normal circumstances if you plow into someone's car you're not liable for any damages to their vehicle. Their insurance pays for their car, your insurance pays for yours. There's probably exceptions if you're intoxicated, purposefully hit them etc.
I'm sure this makes sense on some macro level with reducing costs of fighting between insurance companies and reducing court resources and all that but... at face value that sounds completely retarded that you cancausean accident but not have to pay for it.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
There's different rules for different states. Michigan is what's called a 'no fault' state where under normal circumstances if you plow into someone's car you're not liable for any damages to their vehicle.
That is fucking absurd. How can you not be at fault if you drive into another car?

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Much in the same way closely held corporations can exercise religious rights?