SOE Becomes Daybreak / Russian shutdown

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
It seems like with the popularity of the Pokemon app several years ago there legit could be a market for something like this. Group finder would be for your GPS area and you play a class, find others to group up and kill things. Bosses would obviously need more. The only real challenge is I'm pretty sure I would never want to meet half of those people IRL. That and you have to go outside and walk and stuff.
With 82k people playing you’d never meet anyone ever. Pokémon Go had like 40+ million.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Scoresby

Trakanon Raider
With 82k people playing you’d never meet anyone ever. Pokémon Go had like 40+ million.
It certainly would be something for large cities and hard to pull off even though, I agree. You wouldn't have 40 man raids, but like 3-man groups, but yeah mostly solo content for the reasons you stated. Open world PVP would be hilarious, but likely not practical for the IRL considerations haha.

edit: The fact that Pokemon is (I think?) the highest selling IP of all time does a lot to highlight how big of a hurdle that would be though.

Zaide

TLP Idealist
TFW: Some 350lb dude with six cell phones tries to move into your Efreeti camp on a geo tagged EQ Mobile.

1607184994910.png

• 6Worf
  • 2Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 9 users

Cukernaut

Sharpie Markers Aren't Pens
<Gold Donor>
Wow EQ is their best performing product from an ebitda perspective and they have healthy overall company margins. Incredibly interesting carving the studios up like this to be able to track financials.

no new eq2 expansions take it cash cow and let it dry on the vine - multi platform remake of Everquest with some updated quests and features - a reimagining of the original. Let’s go boys

Last edited:
  • 1Barf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Bobbybick

Trakanon Raider
I'm wondering how they factor in all-access subs when it comes to which game gets credited that revenue. I ASSUME they have something automated that tracks your playtime per month across games and whichever you spend most of the time on gets it but that honestly feels like giving them too much credit.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cukernaut

Sharpie Markers Aren't Pens
<Gold Donor>
I'm wondering how they factor in all-access subs when it comes to which game gets credited that revenue. I ASSUME they have something automated that tracks your playtime per month across games and whichever you spend most of the time on gets it but that honestly feels like giving them too much credit.

They do a /who all in EC & Bazaar at regular intervals and apply a mark up factor to that. I send them pre-paid cards, unmarked, in the mail to update my account.

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
Wow EQ is their best performing product from an ebitda perspective and they have healthy overall company margins. Incredibly interesting carving the studios up like this to be able to track financials.

no new eq2 expansions take it cash cow and let it dry on the vine - multi platform remake of Everquest with some updated quests and features - a reimagining of the original. Let’s go boys

EQ2 live is hot garbage. But the TLE servers have been fun as hell, assuming you get in a good guild. I'm all TLE'd out of EQ1, but might do another EQ2 one if they release another. Kaladim is going strong waaay longer than I thought it would.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
EQ2 live is hot garbage. But the TLE servers have been fun as hell, assuming you get in a good guild. I'm all TLE'd out of EQ1, but might do another EQ2 one if they release another. Kaladim is going strong waaay longer than I thought it would.

The majority of the community predicts that the next EQ2 TLE will happen around late spring 2021. There's a pattern to the EQ2 TLE's: a new one tends to launch when the previous one hits the Velious era.