Software Creation Questions

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
My property management business has gotten to the point that its getting a bit too much to manage whats happening with each Landlord, their onboarding, the tenants, their onboarding, accounting/taxes, payment processing and my own employees making it all worse at times.

Ive seen programs out there that have been developed - like Rent Redi etc. But they want a big sign on fee and then a continuous fee after the fact for each and every client. I would at least consider one of these alternatives to creating my own if they in fact offered everything Im looking for - but they dont and on top of that, what they do have is very minimal at best.

On the basement level of it all - Im looking for something that provides transparency to the landlords. I'm under the impression that Cashapp and similar services offer an API that software developers can work with. So ideally, a tenant would log into their account on a cloud based server and pay their rent through Cashapp. This automatically sets up two different payments from this one payment, the 12% to the property management company (adjustable, I have some at 8%) and the remaining 88% (again, adjustable) to the landlord. Standard delivery time, not fast cash option.

Four different types of Login Accounts:
Master Login (my own login) - Allows me access to every employees, tenants, and landlords accounts and adjust permissions for what each login can and cannot see on their account.
Property Management Supervisor - (Same permissions as the Master account, but cannot delete / destroy for obvious reasons). I dont have a supervisor, just future possibility.
Property Management Employee - They have their own accounts and can only see the accounts they own - not other employee accounts.
Landlord Login - They can see all of their properties, click on individual property (if multiple), see the tenants information, if theyre on time/have paid, their payment history (have they always paid on time, late fees, etc.), have PDF's scanned in with original signatures for Leases (would e-contract, but Im sure that cost more), can see the PDF for the Property management contract, can put in work order requests, and can see how their property is doing financially.
Tenant Login - Can see what their payment is, when its due, what late fees are applicable, see the PDF for their lease agreement, can request work orders.

Work orders can be like repairs, key replacement, rent increase/decrease, etc.

------------
I dont have any good idea how much this database / api integration venture would cost, where to look to get it outsourced etc. There are a ton of other things that I would like it to do, like have pages with fields where we can track our mileage, keep copies of receipts etc. But Im trying to get the basic functionality first and foremost with out having a bill for 10's of thousands of dollars.

(tagging people that I *think* do this stuff for employment. Please tag someone else if you think they might know more.)
Mist Mist , Tuco Tuco , S Secrets Lightning Lord Rule Lightning Lord Rule

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>
My property management business has gotten to the point that its getting a bit too much to manage whats happening with each Landlord, their onboarding, the tenants, their onboarding, accounting/taxes, payment processing and my own employees making it all worse at times.

Ive seen programs out there that have been developed - like Rent Redi etc. But they want a big sign on fee and then a continuous fee after the fact for each and every client. I would at least consider one of these alternatives to creating my own if they in fact offered everything Im looking for - but they dont and on top of that, what they do have is very minimal at best.

On the basement level of it all - Im looking for something that provides transparency to the landlords. I'm under the impression that Cashapp and similar services offer an API that software developers can work with. So ideally, a tenant would log into their account on a cloud based server and pay their rent through Cashapp. This automatically sets up two different payments from this one payment, the 12% to the property management company (adjustable, I have some at 8%) and the remaining 88% (again, adjustable) to the landlord. Standard delivery time, not fast cash option.

Master Login (my own login) - Allows me access to every employees, tenants, and landlords accounts and adjust permissions for what each login can and cannot see on their account.
Property Management Supervisor - (Same permissions as the Master account, but cannot delete / destroy for obvious reasons). I dont have a supervisor, just future possibility.
Property Management Employee - They have their own accounts and can only see the accounts they own - not other employee accounts.
Landlord Login - They can see all of their properties, click on individual property (if multiple), see the tenants information, if theyre on time/have paid, their payment history (have they always paid on time, late fees, etc.), have PDF's scanned in with original signatures for Leases (would e-contract, but Im sure that cost more), can see the PDF for the Property management contract, can put in work order requests, and can see how their property is doing financially.
Tenant Login - Can see what their payment is, when its due, what late fees are applicable, see the PDF for their lease agreement, can request work orders.

------------
I dont have any good idea how much this database / api integration venture would cost, where to look to get it outsourced etc. There are a ton of other things that I would like it to do, like have pages with fields where we can track our mileage, keep copies of receipts etc. But Im trying to get the basic functionality first and foremost with out having a bill for 10's of thousands of dollars.

(tagging people that I *think* do this stuff for employment. Please tag someone else if you think they might know more.)
Screenshot 2023-02-08 at 11-52-08 ChatGPT.png

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I don't have any real experience in this field but I'd recommend looking at the entirety of what a given software platform can provide to your business. You're looking at how to reduce the burden of a tedious part of your business (managing landlords) with a software platform that probably costs too much for just that feature, but that software platform might be able to also reduce burdens in other parts, making it worth getting. I don't know anything about your business or these platforms.

Have you tried creating a virtual version of your properties in Second Life, and then making all management actions integrate with actions you take in Second Life?

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Daidraco

Most of those are user based pricing - which is why Im looking to build my own. If I have to pay anywhere from 18 to 45 dollars per user, per month - it makes it infeasible to use for the long term. I have an HOA account with over 200 units, an older couples trailer parks (multiple) with over 350 trailers paying lot rent, several houses etc. Then, for example, some of those same trailers pay as little as $200 a month in lot rent. Even at 12%, I'd just be breaking even at that point after paying for some of these.
I don't have any real experience in this field but I'd recommend looking at the entirety of what a given software platform can provide to your business. You're looking at how to reduce the burden of a tedious part of your business (managing landlords) with a software platform that probably costs too much for just that feature, but that software platform might be able to also reduce burdens in other parts, making it worth getting. I don't know anything about your business or these platforms.

Have you tried creating a virtual version of your properties in Second Life, and then making all management actions integrate with actions you take in Second Life?
Second Life?... The game? tf? I dont know why I thought you had experience with coding.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Second Life?... The game? tf? I dont know why I thought you had experience with coding.
Second Life was a joke. I'm a programmer but don't deal with this kind of software.

If you're looking at rolling your own tracking system, I recommend just using a spreadsheet. Which I'm guessing is similar to what you use now and is tedious while providing no transparency.

Last edited:

Daidraco

Second Life was a joke.

If you're looking at rolling your own tracking system, I recommend just using a spreadsheet. Which I'm guessing is similar to what you use now.
We're using Google Spreadsheets for just about everything, yea. Quickbooks is too archaic and a pointless expenditure. I'm wanting the ease of what I listed above, but this is mostly about transparency for landlords. If you do a search on news articles for property management companies - it always comes back down to embezzlement and theft. If I had a graphical interface that a Landlord could pull up and it would show, in say.. Cash App's own software, how much the tenant paid and where that money is now - that would be a great enough sales tool to use in order to get more clients, and pay for the development of this software.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>

------------

You are definitely going to have to bite the bullet and go with some kind of service provider, building it custom would cost so much money and even if you somehow did get someone to build something exactly like you wanted, it's not going to have the longterm support you're going to need. All of this stuff needs to be super secure because of the payments, and PII involved, meaning it needs to be constantly updated against security vulnerabilities, so you can't just throw some web front end on a database and call it good.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
Google Spreadsheets is your best option. Roll your own solution and, potentially, hire someone on fiverr to write some management scripts as it'll be cost effective in comparison to hiring and staffing a project, or funding an entire middleware solution.

You need to keep whomever writes that as far away as you can from your business after. Just get the job done, move on.

If you want to start tracking CashApp and other external software, you're going to likely lose a lot of your potential revenues.

Email triggers are something you could setup too, if you're willing to get crafty with Google Suite or Gmail: when CashApp hasn't been sent from <x> tenant, alert your email if not seen in <x> days. You can even template out an email to be sent /to/ the delinquent person, and that is normally enough to get them to pay or talk or negotiate.

One thing you'll still have to do is send out certified mail yourself if it gets that far, But tracking when and where you have to do that in one interface is certainly doable in Google Spreadsheets. A game I worked on's content DB was entirely done in Google Spreadsheets and exported into JSON our middleware used. If /that/ use case can be done, so can yours.

• 1Like

Il_Duce Lightning Lord Rule

Lightning Fast
<Charitable Administrator>
I don't really have experience like you're asking about here. I've done a little bit of dbase construction with old MS Access, but things are so far beyond that now that I'm constantly playing catch-up whenever I have to do anything in that space now.

The only (maybe) helpful thing I could give you is a question: Is transparency really worth what you think it will be worth in the way of new clients? I mean, if you're providing the usual reporting of transactions after the fact and upon request of the landlords, do you really need to go the extra mile with real-time access? If the main issue in this space that would cause concern for your landlord clients is fraud/shenanigans, wouldn't your record of not doing that speak for itself?

Sorry I can't be of more help bro.

• 1Like

Daidraco

You are definitely going to have to bite the bullet and go with some kind of service provider, building it custom would cost so much money and even if you somehow did get someone to build something exactly like you wanted, it's not going to have the longterm support you're going to need. All of this stuff needs to be super secure because of the payments, and PII involved, meaning it needs to be constantly updated against security vulnerabilities, so you can't just throw some web front end on a database and call it good.
I have no experience with the Cashapp API - but I was under the impression that it was like using Paypal. You log into it, securely, and send your payment, securely through it. Maybe Im reaching too far on the back end and it would still need someone to divide the money between the fee and what to send the landlord - instead of automating it.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
We're using Google Spreadsheets for just about everything, yea. Quickbooks is too archaic and a pointless expenditure. I'm wanting the ease of what I listed above, but this is mostly about transparency for landlords. If you do a search on news articles for property management companies - it always comes back down to embezzlement and theft. If I had a graphical interface that a Landlord could pull up and it would show, in say.. Cash App's own software, how much the tenant paid and where that money is now - that would be a great enough sales tool to use in order to get more clients, and pay for the development of this software.
I'd echo Mist's sentiment and don't try to roll your own system that interacts with your tenants or otherwise exposes a public interface for PII / banking / whatever. You've found some options that were too expensive, but there might be some you haven't tried that could work (finding them is part of the reason you made this thread anyway).

If you do follow Secret's suggestion and fiverr up some scripts that sit on top of Google Spreadsheets, keep this thread up to date on your results! Who knows, maybe google spreadsheets supports an online authentication system that fits your needs for your tenants and integrates with a Cashapp or other API.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Daidraco

Google Spreadsheets is your best option. Roll your own solution and, potentially, hire someone on fiverr to write some management scripts as it'll be cost effective in comparison to hiring and staffing a project, or funding an entire middleware solution.

You need to keep whomever writes that as far away as you can from your business after. Just get the job done, move on.

If you want to start tracking CashApp and other external software, you're going to likely lose a lot of your potential revenues.

Email triggers are something you could setup too, if you're willing to get crafty with Google Suite or Gmail: when CashApp hasn't been sent from <x> tenant, alert your email if not seen in <x> days. You can even template out an email to be sent /to/ the delinquent person, and that is normally enough to get them to pay or talk or negotiate.

One thing you'll still have to do is send out certified mail yourself if it gets that far, But tracking when and where you have to do that in one interface is certainly doable in Google Spreadsheets. A game I worked on's content DB was entirely done in Google Spreadsheets and exported into JSON our middleware used. If /that/ use case can be done, so can yours.
Thats a possibility, in that I could "think" Im in a box with google spreadsheets and Im just ignorant to whats available. You did, however, give me the idea that I could just automatically forward the email from cashapp to the landlords email. Thats smart for the objective. The middleware part may just be my own vanity - not sure.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I have no experience with the Cashapp API - but I was under the impression that it was like using Paypal. You log into it, securely, and send your payment, securely through it. Maybe Im reaching too far on the back end and it would still need someone to divide the money between the fee and what to send the landlord - instead of automating it.
I meant if you wanted a web app that manages the whole end-to-end experience, not just processing the payment.

Daidraco

I meant if you wanted a web app that manages the whole end-to-end experience, not just processing the payment.
Yes, I get the obvious bit of what you're saying. I just desire for that payment to be visible to all three parties involved. Its one thing to send an email saying that cash has been received, its another entirely for the tenant to have never paid rent or his monthly dues. An HOA property management company was caught here, locally, back in.. July? I think? Where they controlled the accounts, what was visible, etc. Told the board members a false number of what was in the account that was not at all what was there. They finally caught him, and the guy had embezzled 100's of thousands of dollars from multiple clients.

So you can see why I think it would be a good sales tool. At least here, in this location.