SOE Becomes Daybreak / Russian shutdown

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Either Sony is in trouble (unlikely) or they thought SOE was a loser (probably). They can put a cheery spin on this all they want, but it can't be good.

The first thing that happens after these buy-outs and mergers is a trimming of the fat. Hold onto your butts.
rrr_img_89436.jpg

Reht

Molten Core Raider
Well Sony has been in trouble for quite some time. Not sure if this will help or hurt SOE's, i mean Daybreak's future. Will see if they eventually hold on to EQ or sunset it and focus on new games and expanding the platforms for existing games.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
EverQuest
Multiplatform

EQ in the Browser confirmed

edit: damnit Zyyz.
One thing to note the old freerealms game could be played in a browser so its not something they can't do and still have a pretty interesting game engine.

Dyvim

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I fully expect Daybreak to be just a placeholder.
Once they go into 100% develeopment mode of their established IPs in a browser, it will get renamed to Swampdonkey Online Games.
The virtual currency would be called Donkeybucks and you could become a subscriber to the Swampdonkey All Access program.

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
Place your bets!

Who will be gone first? Georeson,Higby or Smedly?

I'm thinking Smedly to be honest. I think he will fall on his sword after he is forced to cut half of his team.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
Well Sony has been in trouble for quite some time. Not sure if this will help or hurt SOE's, i mean Daybreak's future. Will see if they eventually hold on to EQ or sunset it and focus on new games and expanding the platforms for existing games.
Yup sony has been having issues for a while now this actually could be a pretty good thing for the guys working on eq next/landmark and their existing stuff. We shall see and it does open cross platform options for developing things for the xbox one as well.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Rhapsody is the only thing I've heard of.

gogojira_sl

shitlord
Either Sony is in trouble (unlikely) or they thought SOE was a loser (probably). They can put a cheery spin on this all they want, but it can't be good.

The first thing that happens after these buy-outs and mergers is a trimming of the fat. Hold onto your butts.
rrr_img_89436.jpg
Sony has been in trouble for a while now. The PS4 has been a hit but the company is huge and their TV and mobile departments are eating shit.

All legal and contractual annoyances aside, I'm sure the money part made sense for everyone. Not sure what SOE brought in but it probably wasn't the type of profit that Sony couldn't stand to part with for the right price. So they sell SOE, which I'd so was very loosely tied to the gaming side of Sony (consumer awareness, I mean) and probably make a pretty penny. Now Daybreak is funded by a company with deep pockets giving them more assets to work with and an entire roster of platforms to release on. Sony still gets to see EverQuest, H1Z1, etc. on their platform, too.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
They wouldn't be buying SoE if they were.
The Neckbeard that did well in the last 15 years now poised to return EQ to the glory it deserves. I bet there's more then a few people holding on to that hope, mostly those with posts in the EQ subforum.

Vitality

HUSTLE
The Neckbeard that did well in the last 15 years now poised to return EQ to the glory it deserves. I bet there's more then a few people holding on to that hope, mostly those with posts in the EQ subforum.
Not sure who you're talking about here.. If it's Georgeson you're going to be in for a wild ride because he's the reason the EQ franchise is where it is right now.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Starting with the announcement of EQN switching to the holy trinity.