SOE Becomes Daybreak / Russian shutdown

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
It's their job to make it sound positive and exciting. Behind the scenes I'd bet almost every one of them is now sending out feelers to other companies.
The misfit toys belong on Misfit island.

Oldbased

> Than U
I see this as bad long term. Given the way investment firms work by pumping in then draining the lake however I am curious if they make Rhode Island a bid now on Curt's game which I think was 60% or so complete. It should be nice and cheap by now.

Vitality

HUSTLE
I see this as bad long term. Given the way investment firms work by pumping in then draining the lake however I am curious if they make Rhode Island a bid now on Curt's game which I think was 60% or so complete. It should be nice and cheap by now.
I don't, if they cull the herd then hire fresh talent I'll actually look at trying what they put out. As it stands right now the only way I'm passing SOE a dollar is if The Silent asks me to.

If it disintegrates after the culling that might be to the betterment of this genre.

Edit: Depending on where the rejects get jobs at as UT says below.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
The only thing I am concerned about is when this company gets broken apart and some of those rejects land a job elsewhere to continue the fuck ups. My guess over half of these would go to Zenimax Online or Zynga - the last bastion of hope for the most inept of the inept. Which would be just fine. In fact, close the company down, own the IP's, hire a completely new dev house after cleaning house, and hopefully all the Ex-SOE get placed in one of those two organizations.

The industry needs to contain the SOE Employee Ebola outbreak should it get broken apart, and Zynga and ZO would be the perfect small islands to send them all too.

Sumi_sl

shitlord
I don't even know how to feel about this. I had already mentally shit-canned EQ Next just based on how awful Landmark was being developed. I guess what I'm asking is why should we care that anyone wanted to save SOE?

spronk

FPS noob
what an odd thing to buy and an odd thing for sony to sell. Sony really must be in more trouble than they are letting on, letting go of even shitty exclusives like DCUO, PS2 and EQ Landmark isn't a great sign for Sony.

bet you the new owners will force the studio to move to mobile gaming, that is considered the future in investment firms who are especially eyeing asia.

Vitality

HUSTLE
There's a distinct reason why EQN is pushing only four abilities per class up to eight max on a locked hotbar.

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
what an odd thing to buy and an odd thing for sony to sell. Sony really must be in more trouble than they are letting on, letting go of even shitty exclusives like DCUO, PS2 and EQ Landmark isn't a great sign for Sony.

bet you the new owners will force the studio to move to mobile gaming, that is considered the future in investment firms who are especially eyeing asia.
Maybe they are buying SOE for the rights of this Gem?

EverQuest: Heros Call Review - GameSpot

Seriously, has anyone played that game? It looks like it's history has been scrubbed from the net.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm really dubious about all this. This is all about making money, these firms don't have the attachment to the actual games.. I think we got a huge shit sandwich coming. Probably lots of pay to win items already being made for the cash shops...

Reht

Molten Core Raider
I'm really dubious about all this. This is all about making money, these firms don't have the attachment to the actual games.. I think we got a huge shit sandwich coming. Probably lots of pay to win items already being made for the cash shops...
Yeah, this is my thought, although i wouldn't lose any sleep if EQ got sunset. Then i could get my friends to finally play something else.

Emotiv

Silver Squire
Maybe I'm gullible (probably), but this seems like a good thing. SOE getting a husband means she might get a backhand for ineptitude instead of complacency.

Tearofsoul

Ancient MMO noob
It is too early to say this acquisition is a good or bad thing. But to a gamer like myself, I mean I love to see EQN one day regardless you like SOE or not. I had fun in EQ, EQ2, Planetside, Planetside2, even Vanguard.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
I fully expect Daybreak to be just a placeholder.
Since I've just finished reading theDaybreak trilogyby John Barnes, in which Daybreak is an alien-inspired mind virus bent on destroying civilization, I... don't have much difficulty associating that name with SOE. I mean, they almost got it with EverCrack...

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
^^ We don't.
You have a mouse in your pocket?

Yeah, not sure what to make about this. It's weird. Was sony doing so badly they had to sell something to get some cash or was SoE losing too much money they had to drop it, we might never know. As for being "all about making money" , it's always been that way imo. I could see a push towards mobile/apps, which I don't care about at all. I am more interested to see if it changes anything with ps2/h1z1(which I play) or EQ next(which I going to try in the future to see if I liked it).

Vitality

HUSTLE
I'm interested to see what Smedley puts on the headline of his new H1Z1 Daybreak website, whether or not he lets the producers market it as an MMO still.

I'll be keeping an eye on that. Little bit of a coincidence there.

Reht

Molten Core Raider
You have a mouse in your pocket?

Yeah, not sure what to make about this. It's weird. Was sony doing so badly they had to sell something to get some cash or was SoE losing too much money they had to drop it, we might never know. As for being "all about making money" , it's always been that way imo. I could see a push towards mobile/apps, which I don't care about at all. I am more interested to see if it changes anything with ps2/h1z1(which I play) or EQ next(which I going to try in the future to see if I liked it).
Yeah, Sony has been doing that poorly. They were projecting a $2.14 billion loss this year.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
This could really turn it around for Columbus Nova.

Other notes...
Can Georgeson... gotta be your first move
Focus on H1Z1 and do something with EQ.
Who cares about EQNext right now? I'd be surprised if they don't completely scrap it again anyway.
Oh and if Rhapsody is your most recognizable brand, you may want to evaluate your business plans and corporate strategies.