SOE Becomes Daybreak / Russian shutdown

Grundge_sl

shitlord
Hopefully it's not in the parking lot...
LMAO!!!

yea i dont think this is going to go well at all. Venture capital money is short term. They will most likely end up selling SoE or Daybreak once they see the right opportunity present itself. They make their money and whatever happens to SoE or Daybreak after that is not their concern.

Reht

Molten Core Raider
Linda Carlson posted that SOE live will be on hiatus this year.............

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Venture capital wants SOME short term return. Ideal situation for them is to come up with something bright and shiny to demonstrate the money was well spent in the short term and then have the resources to perform something long term. Remember that a LOT of venture capital gets sunk into terrible black holes of despair so in some respect having any positive return on such an investment is seen quite favorably.

Venture capital is the 1% playing roulette knowing full well the money might be wasted but addicted to the idea of hitting the jackpot and getting a staggering return.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
That is "the" Fiver? Where you can hire people for little projects? That might be where their new talent is coming from.

Vitality

HUSTLE
I feel like this is relevant now more than ever:

Originally found in the pantheon thread.

rrr_img_89445.jpg

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
You might be right, maybe they'll stop forcing players to pay-to-test their stuff prior to launching it now. Doubt it.
Speaking as someone who's sold thousands of dollars worth of beta keys for various online games, you're just leaving money on the table if you don't charge your customers for the privilege of testing for you.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
My guess is we see EQN sooner than later just really unfinished. More unfinished than normal and that's saying something.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Venture capital is the 1% playing roulette knowing full well the money might be wasted but addicted to the idea of hitting the jackpot and getting a staggering return.
If you're aiming for 10x returns, you only need to be right 10% of the time. And when you only get 2x returns before you exit, that still buys 2 more misses.

Awanka

Molten Core Raider
The end of an era. Hard to say if this change is good or bad for us ex-EQ fans. Since SOE hasn't done anything worth mentioning in almost a decade, I'm leaning towards good.

This slightly increases the chances of my dream of an Everquest Online Adventures 2 for Xbox One, so I'll even say that it's double plus good.

This news makes me nostalgic. After so many MMOs I've become tired of all the layers of complexity that have been added to this genre; the heavy-handed attempts to add a narrative to the experience, the convoluted progression pyramids, the constant mudflation of skills and levels. These days I want to go back to the beginning. A simple experience where you get a group of people and beat on something and it beats back until one of you dies. No quests or reasons, just a world of stuff for you to kill.