Sound Design

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Ebris_sl

shitlord
So I'm in the midst of programing a fairly simple RPG and am coming to a point where I'm going to need to implement sound (music, sfx, maybe some really bad voice over). There is one problem: I have no bloody idea how to create, design, or mix sounds.

Does anyone have any tips, pointers, links to articles or tutorials that might be of some assistance? I'm not necessarily looking any anything super indepth, but at least something that'll help me create some decent sounds for my game.

LennyLenard_sl

shitlord
I use freesounds myself a fair bit. Even if you can't find the right clip, you can often find a clip good enough to start with.

Audacityis a good free program for sound editing.

Diazepane_sl

shitlord
download a synth that plays samples
record random noises of you hitting things with other things
load the audio files into the synth
use the parameters on the synth to play the samples in a different pitch, ADSR envelopes replay the sound in a different way too. add effects such as reverb to the sound.
use as many fx as you can until the sound finds you.

Or hire me
ill even do your music, the plagal mode can be interesting

is it a light hearted rpg? or dark and real?

Ebris_sl

shitlord
It has aspects of both, though those that have read the script for it would say its darker...

I downloaded Audacity last night and play on mucking about with it today.