Space Heater

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Never owned one before, any recommendations? Also, any idea what kind of kWh's a typical one might suck down? Only looking to heat a decent sized room for a couple hours, nothing long term.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I've used both kinds extensively (the small and large in Grimmlokk's link, although not those specific brands/models) and I definitely prefer the small, portable ones. It's nice to be able to pick it up and move it around as you move from room to room, or if you're in a large room, move it from next to the couch where you're sitting to the computer desk on the opposite wall. I'd never use one of the big radiator-looking ones again unless I knew I only wanted to heat that single room. The small ones obviously won't generate as much heat as the big ones, but I think that is counter-balanced by the fact that you can just plop it down right next to where you're sitting.

Jovec

?
Also, any idea what kind of kWh's a typical one might suck down?
They are all going to pull around 1,200w - 1,500w on a "high" setting, regardless of the size of the unit. This also means you are limited to what else you can run on a typical 15A circuit (1,800w max, 1,500w recommended).

lurker

Vyemm Raider
^ Correct. Whether you spend $600 or $30, if it plugs into a wall outlet, it's going to be 1500 watts max and put out around 5200 BTU. You will spend more for features and aesthetics.

I have one in my master that is about 4" thick, hangs on the wall and sorta looks like a log fire. It uses no floor space and adds a nice ambience to the room. $150. I have a large cabinet in my den that has an electric fireplace in it. It holds a large flat screen and all the home theater crap. $600. They both are 1300 watt heaters.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Thanks for the suggestions, probably get that cheap Lasko one. Don't have to worry about tipping over from pets/children because there won't be any of them in the room.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
When I read the title I read it as SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE HEEEEEEEEEEEATER!

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
The only caveat to owning a cool small one like this in the review
Amazon.com - Lasko 754200 Ceramic Heater with Adjustable Thermostat - Space Heaters

is to watch out if you have small children or animals, i have one just like it and it's awesome, BUT be careful around it with children/pets or even your clumsy self, you can easily knock it over and depending on where the heat is pointed to cause some issues, accidents.
I got a pretty cheap one and it has some shit built in where if its tipped or knocked over it stops, is this not standard?