Spike Video Game Awars - Results

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Forbin_sl

shitlord
Game of the Year ---The Walking Dead: The Game
Studio of the Year ---Telltale Games, The Walking Dead: The Game
Character of the Year ---Clap Trap, Borderlands 2
Entertainment Weekly and Spike VGA Best Game of the Decade ---Half-Life 2
Best Xbox 360 Game ---Halo 4
Best PS3 Game ---Journey
Best Wii/Wii U Game ---New Super Mario Bros. U
Best PC Game ---XCOM: Enemy Unknown
Best Shooter ---Borderlands 2
Best Action Adventure Game ---Dishonored
Best RPG ---Mass Effect 3
Best Multi-player Game ---Borderlands 2
Best Individual Sports Game ---SSX
Best Team Sports Game ---NBA 2K13
Best Driving Game ---Need for Speed: Most Wanted
Best Song in a Game ---"Cities" by Beck, Sound Shapes
Best Original Score ---Journey
Best Graphics ---Halo 4
Best Independent Game ---Journey
Best Fighting Game ---Persona 4 Arena
Best Handheld/Mobile Game ---Sound Shapes
Best Performance by a Human Female ---Melissa Hutchinson as Clementine, The Walking Dead: The Game
Best Performance by a Human Male ---Dameon Clarke as Handsome Jack, Borderlands 2
Best Adapted Video Game ---The Walking Dead: The Game
Best DLC ---The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Dawnguard
Best Downloadable Game ---The Walking Dead: The Game
Best Social Game--- You Don't Know Jack
Most Anticipated Game ---Grand Theft Auto V

I'm aware these awards are kind of a joke, but i thought it may spark some discussion.
It's great to see Walking Dead take home game of the year, it may be mine as well. There were soo many AAA disappointments this year.

edit- if a mod could fix the typo in my title i'd appreciate it.

xzi

Mouthbreather
I have yet to play The Walking Dead so I can't really say anything on it, but grats to them. I'm satisfied with all the world premiers they made though for sure.

It was certainly hard to vote between Shadow of the Colossus and Half-Life 2 for game of the decade, haha

ColourofSpace_sl

shitlord
Halo 4 was enjoyable for several reasons, but the graphics, while better than Halo 3, were not that great. It definitely was not the best of the year.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Dawnguard was crap DLC. If that's the best, then apparently I don't buy enough DLC in a given year.

Zaide

TLP Idealist
This year doesn't seem to have as many incredible games as previous years have had. A lot of these games are sequels of games which were on this list in years past and for most of them the previous installations were far superior (ME1, ME2, Halo, Borderlands).

We need more genuinely new high quality products like Dishonored this year; or games that are sequels from several years or console generations ago ala Xcom. I'm sick of game studios churning out their annual Halo 4 for the easy money.

Cybsled

I think Walking Dead was deserving of it's title, IMO.

Half-Life 2 was also deserving of the "game of the decade" as well, purely because of how it influenced industry. WTB Episode 3 ;/

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Walking Dead, while enjoyable, shouldn't be in any GOTY discussion.
Agreed in the end your decisions were largely pointless. I liked Walking Dead but it's overhyped. I'm not sure what I would say would be GOTY but right off the top of my head I would say Tekken Tag 2. It has great gameplay, a great amount of content, great netcode(best fighting game netcode of any fighting game ever released), great multiplayer, good single player modes, and had a ton ofFREEsignificant dlc.

Malt_sl

shitlord
Whats your argument for that? Not enough gameplay for a game of the year?
If the whole game were like episodes 1 and 2 there might be merit to the GOTY discussion. I thought those were fantastic.

Once you hit episode 3 the game quickly goes south. You learn several times through that episode that your choices have no bearing on the outcome of events. That's also the episode where any hint of gameplay goes out the window and you are literally just pressing buttons to see the story move forward. 4 had even less gameplay than 3 and 5 had none. The ending with the man was forced and while I guess their idea was to make you reflect and regret decisions you had made, but once again it didn't matter what you choose to do because they are going to tell you how bad of a person you were regardless.

I appreciate what they were able to do with a smaller budget and studio and like I said it was enjoyable. The issue I have is there were much better games released this year and another game that plays almost exactly the same as Walking Dead, Heavy Rain, but is superior in every way received very little recognition from the media a few years back. It won because it's Walking Dead, not because its GOTY.

Anomander Rake

Golden Knight of the Realm
Somewhere along the line I got the impression that the Spike Video Game Awards held the same critical merit that MTV does with their movie awards. As in it's more about shilling their network than putting any real thought into critique - and looking at their decisions it doesn't look like anything has changed lol.

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
Walking Dead, while enjoyable, shouldn't be in any GOTY discussion.
This. It was a pretty decent game, but the minute it was done it left my hard drive, and that's not a quality that should be in any game of the year.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Agreed on Walking Dead not being GOTY...it just shouldn't have been and most everyone in IRC agreed last night. I was glad to see Dameon Clarke win for his role as Handsome Jack, the man was brilliant.

Fidlen

Lord Nagafen Raider
Handsome Jack deserved to win, and for me personally I felt The Walking Dead was the GOTY. No other game I bought this year kept me as interested then Walking Dead, so nice to see some recognition to that style of game.

Seventh

Golden Squire
I'm fine with TWD being GOTY as well. It was pretty unique and (imo of course) really well done. I'd rather see more creative titles like TWD, Heavy Rain, etc win high honors than Just_Another_FPS_Sequel win them - hopefully it'll inspire studios to keep trying new ideas like this.

Also glad to see Dishonored take home best AA. It wasn't perfect but as a fan of all of the games it's taking cues from (Thief, especially) I thought they did a great job with it.

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
I'm aware these awards are kind of a joke
Err, let's be clear. I believe the consensus is:
The show itself is a joke, with the only reason to watch it to see the trailers (available within hours on the internet).
The nominations are pretty goofy, with many categories weighted towards big budget games.
The winners themselves... are actually pretty solid, given the nominees they have to work with.

Disclaimer: Then again, I would vote for Walking Dead myself, and expect Walking Dead, XCom, and Journey (with a pinch of Dishonored) to win most of the critics' awards this year.

Honestly, the MGS trolling was the most interesting part of the show (though I skimmed through it in 20 mins and could have missed something.)