Spotify vs Google Music All Access

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
So I was a Spotify sub. My purchase of the nexus for my wife and I netted us 3 months of free Google Music All Access and $100 in play credit. I decided to give Google Music a shot.

So moving from Spotify to Music was kind of a pain in the dick. There are some Python programs that can help with the process but none of them worked for me and instead of digging through these with piss poor to non existent programming skills I elected to just add the songs manually like I originally did on Spotify.

So I hopped on Spotify, sorted and copied and pasted the artists and songs to a document and started up Google Music.

First thing is first. Google music has amuch better layoutwhen adding / finding music. With Spotify many times I would search for music and end up with some shitty Karaoke version of the song. That never happened a single time with Google Music.

So big point to google there.

Second, with spotify, lets say I search for some prolific artist with tons of #1 hits. Spotify shows you a list of 5 popular songs with 5 more under that and then you have to browse through albums. Ok, that works but it's kind of a pain in the ass searching through that way as many times there are 5 Greatest Hits albums to go through, live versions, shitty albums etc.

Where Google music is much improved is I can put that artist with 50 #1's and they are all going to show up under <SONGS> and I don't have to dick around with scrolling through all the other bull shit. They are even in order by popularity for the most part which makes digging through 20 or 30 years of music easy. I found that I was not only able to find the music I knew I wanted easier, I was also able to find other songs I had forgotten much easier than with Spotify. In addition, if I accidently added a song twice to my playlist google music would warn me where as Spotify would happily let me add them all I want without letting me know.

Another point for google

Ok, so I have my music and separated into play lists. Spotify and Google pretty much had the same exact music and were missing the same exact bands. This is where Google Music scores a fatality against Spotify.

One example, I'm a fan of the 80s and was looking for Def Leppard. Neither Spotify or Google had access to them with a couple of poor live recordings. When I was with Spotify I simply had to go without. Google, however has an answer for this. I simply uploaded all my MP3's that I obtained from any torrent site and they are now part of my library. Seamless and works exactly like any of the other stuff I have in my library directly from Google.

Final Point to google

Both service offer a download only mode which allows you to play music off the network. My wife and I have been able to play things at the same time without any issues using this with both services.

Google Music All Access also allows you to get Youtube Red which is included in the $9.99 subscription price and gives you unlimited ad free youtube. We don't watch much youtube but it was a nice touch for when we do use the service. We have used it more now that we sub because the web interface also has access to the plethora of music videos on youtube. This is a nice bonus that really doesn't cost us anything yet even with our limited use have noticed it. Nice touch.

The bottom line is if you are invested at all in Android or youtube you should really consider Google music service. There are some nice pros to the service that Spotify doesn't offer. I was not interested whatsoever in moving service but I am glad I did.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
I didn't realize my Music sub was getting me a Red sub also. Thought it was just a trial that would nag me when it ran out or something.

I use Google Music mostly for a few specific stations (like 90s alt ballads) and when I fixate on bands so I can go and just play top songs and I'm set for a session of gaming (Volbeat atm, but ranges from Foo Fighters and GnR, to Kanye West). Also use it for one-off songs for my kids (Watch Me and Gangnam Style, gah).

Problems with the quality of results I'd get from Spotify were what eventually soured me on it. I haven't had an MP3 collection for several years.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Interesting... Thanks for the write up. Will check this out, been using Spotify since they released and it never occurred to me to check out Google's.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
What about free vs. free?

I like Spotify to just pick an artist or create a playlist and let it go. I have a long commute.. I don't mind the commercials every 30 minutes.

Does Google Music offer the same level of service at a free level (if it exists)?

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Whats the cost? I don't have any of the grievances you have against Spotify and I think it does an ok-ish job creating a radio station from my starred playlist to discover music but its pretty dirt cheap at $15/mo for both myself and my wife. Does Google have a similar family plan?

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
There is free radio from Google Music and they just announced a family plan at the same price as Spotify. Don't know enough about either to really comment though.

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
Just an FYI, you can 100% "upload" your MP3s to spotify and listen to them anywhere, especially if you make the music available offline on any given device.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
One strange thing experimenting this morning with Google Music is that for some reason in the car it didn't forward the song information to my head unit via Bluetooth like Spotify does. I'll chalk it up to a strange occurrence and try again later. Doesn't really make sense that it wouldn't work.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
One example, I'm a fan of the 80s and was looking for Def Leppard. Neither Spotify or Google had access to them with a couple of poor live recordings. When I was with Spotify I simply had to go without. Google, however has an answer for this. I simply uploaded all my MP3's that I obtained from any torrent site and they are now part of my library. Seamless and works exactly like any of the other stuff I have in my library directly from Google.
Not that I'm disagreeing with your assessment. But you can do this with Spotify too.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I've been a Google Music subscriber for years and I love it. Never used Spotify so can't give a comparison. But add me to the satisfied customer list.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
I switched to Spotify from Google a few months ago just because I would run into random albums Spotify had in their catalog that Google wouldn't. I've run into it the other way since switching as well, but not as often.

I like the Google interface more.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I like Apple Music personally. I like being able to lunch whatever playlist I want with one push Siri. Makes it much easier while in the car.

Khane

I've only ever used Spotify, and while I do like it there are some problems with the phone/tablet app. It just stops working randomly, sometimes it won't open and I have to force a shutdown, sometimes it cuts off all bluetooth connectivity on my phone. And they are terrible about fixing bugs.

apex

Golden Knight of the Realm
I've only ever used Spotify, and while I do like it there are some problems with the phone/tablet app. It just stops working randomly, sometimes it won't open and I have to force a shutdown, sometimes it cuts off all bluetooth connectivity on my phone. And they are terrible about fixing bugs.
Agreed. I have a bunch of issues with Spotify on my phone and the interface was slow as shit. Also since they jacked up the price to $9.99 I was kinda salty.

Trying the Apple Music now on the 3 month trial. Not sure I like it any better. While the performance is better for me the interface leaves much to be desired.

I may try the google music.

Thanks for the write up.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I agree Apple musical interface is kinda bad, I always just Siri search for everything and never deal with it. It's a simple yet great feature and I don't even have to have the app open to use it.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Not that I'm disagreeing with your assessment. But you can do this with Spotify too.
I didn't know that feature was available with them as well. Never saw it a as an option. It was one of the big reasons I moved to music as well.

Khane

I didn't know that feature was available with them as well. Never saw it a as an option. It was one of the big reasons I moved to music as well.
Because the way they handle it is absolutely retarded and you'd never know unless you googled it. You have to download the music into Spotify on a PC, turn on syncing, and then open the App up on your phone/tablet to allow it to sync to the phone.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Spotify does have some shitty bugs.

For awhile there was a bug where the app played really low on bluetooth, so I'd have to turn my car radio up to like 35 (usually at 15/17) to hear it at an acceptable volume. Problem occurred when I needed to buy new pants after switching back to the radio. I posted it in their subreddit and it was fixed later that day though.

Also for whatever fucking unknown shitass reason, when you initially load the app the default screen is the discover new music screen or whatever. No Spotify. No. Put it defaulted to my music, please for the love of christ.

I'll try Google too.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Also if people are having issues with Spotify automatically starting up when you bluetooth connect your phone to your car (I was) and you're on Android there is an app called Bluetooth connect and Play which you can tell it to automatically start/stream Spotify when you connect to a BT device.