SQL Query Help

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
Good afternoon Rerolled, I am in need of help with the query I'm attempting to write not giving me the results I need.

The query needs to return one line per employee with the latest schedule (can be updated 3-4 times a week based on needs) but currently either displays multiple rows or one row with mismatched data.

It's fairly basic in what I need but it won't cooperate

rrr_img_135564.jpg

Normal query, returns 2 rows per this employee. Schedule was adjusted on the 4th to work earlier than originally scheduled on the 31st.

rrr_img_135565.jpg

Added max to the update but did not return only one line as hoped. Tried adding max to the others.

rrr_img_135566.jpg

This is as I expect logically, it's taking the latest update cell but instead of the corresponding latest start/end times its taking the highest (max) schedule times. While that would work if the schedules always got pushed to later, if they go earlier as in this example, it pulls the wrong data.

What am I missing to correct this query, either in why the max (modified date) or in another command? I need the latest updated schedule to display in this clearly not the 'max' for that day in case of multiple.

Payment for the view/help. If I can get this working my gf may be okay with sharing another of her better assets as a thank you & Mods, if this is in the wrong forum please move where needed.

rrr_img_135567.jpg

Palum

what Suineg set it to
You may need to do a subquery and return entire row based on max index or max date updated.

Will look later.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Select employee, max (date), from Blah where abc group by employee.

Paste the query and sample data, pls

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
unless I'm misunderstanding, why don't you just use SELECT TOP 1 if you only want it to return the first one. I do believe the first one would always be the most recent occurrence in your example.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
actually 9>5 why are you expecting the 5:30 one?

A group by date, employeeId is all you need.

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
We schedule between 300-700 people per day per client & support 25 clients, Top 1 would only return the absolute top value as I understand it? I'm still fairly new to SQL so if I'm misunderstanding that, or if there's a way to do it so its top 1 per person that could work.

The examples above I simply did it as a specific person to cut down on the results

Len, that's why I assume the max() start time is not the right function for what I need. I need the corresponding value with the latest updated cell in that same row.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Palum is right, sounds like you need to use a max(mod_dt) in a subquery in your where clause.

Szlia

Can't you order the results by Updated time and limit the result list to one? So like SELECT yadda yadda WHERE yadda yadda ORDER BY mod_dt DESC LIMIT 1 ?

EDIT: Oh that won't work if you want the latest schedule of everyone instead of the latest schedule of one person.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Moving this to screenshots because I'm on my phone. Please don't post titties even in spoilers outside of SS, it still loads on work computers.

PS nice titties

sliverstorm

Trakanon Raider
Agree with Palum and Khane. Below is one way, assuming you only want one record per employee across any number of nom_day_key (and assuming mod_dt is unique within an employee_key):

select
a.nom_day_key,
a.employee_key,
a.local_start_dt,
a.local_end_dt,
a.mod_dt
from fact_aspect_emp_schedule_detail a
join
(
select
employee_key,
max(mod_dt) as max_mod_dt
from fact_aspect_emp_schedule_detail
group by
employee_key
) b
on a.employee_key = b.employee_key
and a.mod_dt = b.max_mod_dt
--any where statement criteria goes here etc

Palum

what Suineg set it to
If I'm right you are looking at something like this:

rrr_img_135577.png

If you don't group by, you end up with duplicate rows (employee 1 has two schedules for 6/1)
If you group by, whatever you use as a WHERE clause is going to return some artifacts.

My SQL server syntax is a bit rusty but I think the asiest way to do this without going back and redoing the table structure and for ease of understanding/use (at a penalty to run time) would be something like this:

SELECT e.EmployeeName AS Name,e.EmployeeID AS ID,
(SELECT TOP 1 s.StartTime FROM ScheduleTable AS s WHERE e.EmployeeID=s.EmployeeID AND[email protected]/* <![CDATA[ */!function(t,e,r,n,c,a,p){try{t=document.currentScript||function(){for(t=document.getElementsByTagName('script'),e=t.length;e--;)if(t[e].getAttribute('data-cfhash'))return t[e]}();if(t&&(c=t.previousSibling)){p=t.parentNode;if(a=c.getAttribute('data-cfemail')){for(e='',r='0x'+a.substr(0,2)|0,n=2;a.length-n;n+=2)e+='%'+('0'+('0x'+a.substr(n,2)^r).toString(16)).slice(-2);p.replaceChild(document.createTextNode(decodeURIComponent(e)),c)}p.removeChild(t)}}catch(u){}}()/* ]]> */ORDER BY s.DateUpdated DESC) AS StartTime,
(SELECT TOP 1 s.EndTime FROM ScheduleTable AS s WHERE e.EmployeeID=s.EmployeeID AND[email protected]/* <![CDATA[ */!function(t,e,r,n,c,a,p){try{t=document.currentScript||function(){for(t=document.getElementsByTagName('script'),e=t.length;e--;)if(t[e].getAttribute('data-cfhash'))return t[e]}();if(t&&(c=t.previousSibling)){p=t.parentNode;if(a=c.getAttribute('data-cfemail')){for(e='',r='0x'+a.substr(0,2)|0,n=2;a.length-n;n+=2)e+='%'+('0'+('0x'+a.substr(n,2)^r).toString(16)).slice(-2);p.replaceChild(document.createTextNode(decodeURIComponent(e)),c)}p.removeChild(t)}}catch(u){}}()/* ]]> */ORDER BY s.DateUpdated DESC) AS EndTime
FROM EmployeeTable AS e;

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Agree with Palum and Khane. Below is one way, assuming you only want one record per employee across any number of nom_day_key (and assuming mod_dt is unique within an employee_key):

select
a.nom_day_key,
a.employee_key,
a.local_start_dt,
a.local_end_dt,
a.mod_dt
join
(
select
employee_key,
group by
employee_key
) b
This would be the better performance option but it is more complex and like you mention we don't know table layout RE your key assumptions there.

EDIT: actually thinking about it that may not work because they could update different days on different days. In other words, your ad hoc join table is returning the specific update time from the max grouped by employee key. Since it's clearly not normalized properly you end up with a situation where you could have the same employee but

6/1 updated 5/7 and 5/27
6/2 updated 5/27 and 5/30

Thus it will fail to return data on the 6/1 date because it wasn't updated again on 5/30 like the 6/2 schedule where the max(date updated) date will be joined with. Since it finds no schedule data for 6/1 on 5/30 it will just be blank.

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider

select
a.nom_day_key,
a.employee_key,
a.local_start_dt,
a.local_end_dt,
a.mod_dt
join
(
select
employee_key,
group by
employee_key
) b
This appears to work and matches up things the way it should be, but when ran for tomorrow its giving 294 rows and there are 414 schedules. I'm quite ecstatic that it's 1 line per employee and matching up to those 294 though, so this looks like its on track.

Edit: Palum is this what you're referring to where it will not pull some of the rows?

Palum

what Suineg set it to
This appears to work and matches up things the way it should be, but when ran for tomorrow its giving 294 rows and there are 414 schedules. I'm quite ecstatic that it's 1 line per employee and matching up to those 294 though, so this looks like its on track.

Edit: Palum is this what you're referring to where it will not pull some of the rows?
That is a possible culprit (and likely I think).

sliverstorm

Trakanon Raider
This would be the better performance option but it is more complex and like you mention we don't know table layout RE your key assumptions there.

EDIT: actually thinking about it that may not work because they could update different days on different days. In other words, your ad hoc join table is returning the specific update time from the max grouped by employee key. Since it's clearly not normalized properly you end up with a situation where you could have the same employee but

6/1 updated 5/7 and 5/27
6/2 updated 5/27 and 5/30

Thus it will fail to return data on the 6/1 date because it wasn't updated again on 5/30 like the 6/2 schedule where the max(date updated) date will be joined with. Since it finds no schedule data for 6/1 on 5/30 it will just be blank.
I agree. If it needs to return one record per date, I think we would add the date key to the join to force picking the most recent mod_dt per date (again, assuming mod_dt is never null and now unique within an employee_key | nom_day_key combo):

select
a.nom_day_key,
a.employee_key,
a.local_start_dt,
a.local_end_dt,
a.mod_dt
join
(
select
nom_day_key,
employee_key,
group by
nom_day_key,
employee_key
) b
and a.nom_day_key = b.nom_day_key

I don't know SQL server, but your method definitely looks cleaner.

Gutterflesh

Parody Account
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I'm a product manager, so I think I can help out here.

Yeah this doesn't look right.you'll need to fix it. The UI also needs to be more user friendly and align with our company branding.

We launch on Tuesday, so we'll need this all wrapped up and pass QA before tomorrow morning.

rrr_img_135583.jpg

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
I'm a product manager, so I think I can help out here.

Yeah this doesn't look right.you'll need to fix it. The UI also needs to be more user friendly and align with our company branding.

We launch on Tuesday, so we'll need this all wrapped up and pass QA before tomorrow morning.

rrr_img_135583.jpg
jesus fucking christ this is my company in a nutshell... I literally just twitched reading this ...