Star Wars: The Last Jedi (2017)

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I actually kinda doubt Abrams or Kasdan put much thought into Snoke beyond what we've already seen on screen.

I actually kinda doubt Abrams put much thought into anything to do with Star Wars beyond what he'd seen onscreen in A New Hope.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I have a hard time understanding why there's so much vitriol behind the "Mary Sue" criticisms. Rey's background is intentionally mysterious - which leaves a great number of possible (and "acceptable") explanations for the strength of her force powers and the compressed timeline of their awakening. If this trilogy wraps up with the story failing to supply a good reason for her sudden transformation then I will join the salty lot of you. Until then, however, I'll do my best to enjoy the story at the pace and cadence that its offered.

• 3Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I have a hard time understanding why there's so much vitriol behind the "Mary Sue" criticisms. Rey's background is intentionally mysterious - which leaves a great number of possible (and "acceptable") explanations for the strength of her force powers and the compressed timeline of their awakening. If this trilogy wraps up with the story failing to supply a good reason for her sudden transformation then I will join the salty lot of you. Until then, however, I'll do my best to enjoy the story at the pace and cadence that its offered.

Lol

Can't have a real hero's journey storyline when she's already MDK master class polymath non idiot savant grade 6. It's not like she's 35 and a mature Jedi with a mysterious and storied past.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I'm far too curmudgeony to argue semantics of credulity when the subject matter is a fantasy universe in which willpower can impart kinetic energy and psychic compulsion.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
That's one part of the Lucas era I doubt ever gets mentioned again in any of the movies. It's been said in the Lego series but that is a parody after all.

Royal

dp6mpievpsiz.jpg

• 2Like

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
That's one part of the Lucas era I doubt ever gets mentioned again in any of the movies.

I think it all depends on what makes sense for the story. I'd just hope gutting the EU wasn't accidentally taking a step backwards towards simplifying Star Wars any more than it already is.

The Disney force is entirely different interpretation from the OT and Prequel force. So mentioning midiclorians wouldn't make a lick of sense in the Disney Universe anyway. I'm pretty sure you are aware of the differences between the two but I just wanted to point out the Force was addressed in the TFA promotional interviews, and from what JJ said they may have overhauled it. Doesn't quite explain Rey just yet, but I am guessing it will.

Light vs Dark force was also signaled by them to not really be a thing in the Disney universe either. Creatively, Kennedy wanted to get rid of My Team vs Your Team. I was trained this way and wear this flag, you were trained that way. Its still there, but I know JJ and Kennedy said there were creative new takes on the Force.

I think Episode 8 Last Jedi will get deeper into this new creative direction by Disney. I think the title itself is precisely about the aforementioned, and has much less to do with if Rey or Luke is the "last Jedi".

Its more about this new age of the Force, and defining what that looks like.

Typically the second movie in a trilogy would have a fuckload of pressure to execute on these ideas at the risk of the entire trilogy itself. So it is a safe assumption I think to assume this is a situation where Kennedy's heavy-handedness on creative is very much appreciated by Rian Johnson. You can imagine the tremendous pressure otherwise. But the guy is still a fucking beast for taking this movie on!

Last edited:

Royal

They've certainly changed The Force from a never ending interplay of purely light vs. dark. We've seen a number of characters show up in recent years that are very much protagonists but walk more of a middle ground where The Force is concerned. That's not a simplification to my eyes.

And while granted, it does free things up a bit creatively I'm not sure that I would give Kennedy, depending on how you view the change, credit or blame for it. I think some of the lore keepers at Lucasfilm (ie. the Story Group, most of whom worked for the prior ownership) have long looked at some of George's ideas as being able to benefit from some refinement.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
They've certainly changed The Force from a never ending interplay of purely light vs. dark. We've seen a number of characters show up in recent years that are very much protagonists but walk more of a middle ground where The Force is concerned. That's not a simplification to my eyes.

And while granted, it does free things up a bit creatively I'm not sure that I would give Kennedy, depending on how you view the change, credit or blame for it. I think some of the lore keepers at Lucasfilm (ie. the Story Group, most of whom worked for the prior ownership) have long looked at some of George's ideas as being able to benefit from some refinement.

Disney force as explained in EP 8 will be force "chooses you". Predestination. Buy your kids toys. Anyone can be a Jedi. Or a woman.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
I think it all depends on what makes sense for the story. I'd just hope gutting the EU wasn't accidentally taking a step backwards towards simplifying Star Wars any more than it already is.

The Disney force is entirely different interpretation from the OT and Prequel force. So mentioning midiclorians wouldn't make a lick of sense in the Disney Universe anyway. I'm pretty sure you are aware of the differences between the two but I just wanted to point out the Force was addressed in the TFA promotional interviews, and from what JJ said they may have overhauled it. Doesn't quite explain Rey just yet, but I am guessing it will.

Light vs Dark force was also signaled by them to not really be a thing in the Disney universe either. Creatively, Kennedy wanted to get rid of My Team vs Your Team. I was trained this way and wear this flag, you were trained that way. Its still there, but I know JJ and Kennedy said there were creative new takes on the Force.

I think Episode 8 Last Jedi will get deeper into this new creative direction by Disney. I think the title itself is precisely about the aforementioned, and has much less to do with if Rey or Luke is the "last Jedi".

Its more about this new age of the Force, and defining what that looks like.

Typically the second movie in a trilogy would have a fuckload of pressure to execute on these ideas at the risk of the entire trilogy itself. So it is a safe assumption I think to assume this is a situation where Kennedy's heavy-handedness on creative is very much appreciated by Rian Johnson. You can imagine the tremendous pressure otherwise. But the guy is still a fucking beast for taking this movie on!

Midichlorias didn't come from the Legends EU, so it doesn't matter that they've gutted it in this case. Midichlorians are here to stay unless they explain that the jedi of old were wrong about them.

The rest of what you say about moving away from light vs dark was pretty well covered in the legends EU. I guess the only question is whether they'll try to reinvent the wheel, or borrow a little more from those stories.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
So Mark Hamil has turned into Christopher Lee.

I bet he could almost do the voice, too.

"The hour is late, and Gandalf the Grey rides to Isengard..."

Royal

Disney force as explained in EP 8 will be force "chooses you". Predestination.

If they're changing things up then they'll have to go in a different direction. George already covered the force choosing who can use it and predestination routes.

Royal

So Luke is ready for a funeral and then a quick trip to Estee Lauder? That outfit is very, very effeminate

You have an odd idea of effeminate where clothes are concerned.

To me it a evokes duster jacket and a bit of Eastwood's poncho from 60's era westerns. Though it's essentially a rain slicker with an oiled leather coat underneath.

• 2Solidarity

Khane

Got something right about marriage
You have an odd idea of effeminate where clothes are concerned.

To me it a evokes duster jacket and a bit of Eastwood's poncho from 60's era westerns. Though it's essentially a rain slicker with an oiled leather coat underneath.

It's not odd at all. I'm guessing you don't live in an area where women dress in cape coats? They were probably trying to go for a Clint Eastwood vibe but that cape looks more like a woman's shawl/cape with the frilly shit underneath and the puffy arms and his belt is hiked way the fuck up his hips... like a woman would wear it. It's effeminate.

I live in New England and let me tell you... women love cape coats here. It probably doesn't help that it's Mark Hamill wearing the damn thing.