Star Wars: The Last Jedi (2017)

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
I certainly knew a $4B deal would mean endless Star Wars, who didn't. That said, if they ever reach or even come close to the level of entertainment the MCU is providing, that's when I'll be impressed. Until then... hold on I have to go take a huge piss.

Number one.....

I doubt they'll ever get to that level myself. For starters Marvel is the better run ship, creatively and otherwise. And it should be at this point because Marvel has a huge mountain of material, developed and built up over decades by a variety of talented individuals, to adapt into movies and shows. Contrast that with Lucasfilm and it's canon policy that makes adapting any of the material outside of the movies regardless of how good it is problematic. Then you have Marvel charging full speed ahead (and steadily improving in the process) striking while the iron is hot as far as the popularity of superheroes is concerned. Lucasfilm on the other hand is concerned about diminishing the event status of Star Wars releases by putting out too many movies too close together.

Last edited:

Royal

As part of that same announcement yesterday Disney also said their streaming service would be priced "significantly below" Netflix to reflect the lower amount of content the service would have at launch and would increase over time as the library grows.

I don't know what they consider significant but if it's more than half the current Netflix sub rate I'll probably take a pass baring some rave reviewed exclusive content.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Even at half or lower, fuck all these subscriptions. Everyone wants you giving them money automatically every month. Fuck off.

Yet another "sub for a month, consume all available desired content, unsub" situation. Whatever.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Il_Duce Lightning Lord Rule

Lightning Fast
<Charitable Administrator>

Wait, I've got it!

That guy was abandoned on Yavin 4 after the rebels evacuated, and he's been living alone there for the last 35 years all by himself. He has no idea the empire was defeated finally, or about the rise of the first order or anything.

He's like those Japanese soldiers who people found years after WW2 who still thought the war was on, because they didn't hear any different.

One day after all those years, he finds a strange artifact in the jungle that seems to have mystical properties..... and cue the music!

It's like Castaway meets Chronicle meets Star Wars!

Star Wars REALLY IS a gold mine, because that's gold right there

Fadaar

That guy
I'd like to see a series bridging the gap between 6 and 7. The ultimate downfall of the Empire culminating with the Battle of Jakku.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Royal

Are they doing character focused spots this time around? I can't remember if they did that or not in the deluge of spots for the first two movies.

Royal

I'd like to see a series bridging the gap between 6 and 7. The ultimate downfall of the Empire culminating with the Battle of Jakku.

I would think that would be expensive. Anything that requires showing large scale space battles is going to be pricey. I know they do something comparable on GoT a couple of times a season but they don't have to build out a lot of physical set pieces on location to make them look like they're of a piece with the setting, deal with making alien species look believable, or add a lot of CGI to every skirmish that takes place on screen. They're going to be very wary of settling on the effects front to keep from having that second or third tier appearance of something like The Orville (which is a good show but the effects are glaring at times because they're TV show caliber).

Last edited:

Masakari

Pattern Recognition Expert
<Gold Donor>
Whatever they decide to do a series on, I hope Tommy Wiseau is in it.

• 2Worf

Fadaar

That guy
I would think that would be expensive. Anything that requires showing large scale space battles is going to be pricey. I know they do something comparable on GoT a couple of times a season but they don't have to build out a lot of physical set pieces on location to make them look like they're of a piece with the setting, deal with making alien species look believable, or add a lot of CGI to every skirmish that takes place on screen. They're going to be very wary of settling on the effects front to keep from having that second or third tier appearance of something like The Orville (which is a good show but the effects are glaring at times because they're TV show caliber).

If SyFy can afford to make The Expanse look that good I'm sure Lucasfilm/Disney can do it. I do realize they use the oldest trick in the book with the space fights since everything is super dark, but they also make it easy to follow while looking fantastic.

• 1Like

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
GoT budget is 10 million per episode at the height of its popularity, effects go over and budget is taken out of other episodes I'd guess by the amount of filler scenes D&D are famous for past S5.

Not a great comparison.

Royal

A pic taken from one of the Battlefront 2 cut scenes may confirm one of the leaks/rumors about Luke that has been floating around for months.

Luke is supposed to have some sort of compass, described as being a box with a blue stone atop it, in TLJ. What exactly it "points" to is unknown.

But in Battlefront 2 he tracks down a cache of artifacts the Emperor had hidden away and ...

XUkmuyO.jpg

The compass was the only item in the cache he kept.

Last edited:
  • 2Like

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
A pic taken from one of the Battlefront 2 cut scenes may confirm one of the leaks/rumors about Luke that has been floating around for months.

Luke is supposed to have some sort of compass, described as being a box with a blue stone atop it, in TLJ. What exactly it "points" to is unknown.

But in Battlefront 2 he tracks down a cache of artifacts the Emperor had hidden away and ...

XUkmuyO.jpg

The compass was the only item in the cache he kept.

What rumor/leak does that confirm?

Royal

It might confirm that he possess it in the movie, which was a Making Star Wars reported leak from earlier in the year. I think it's possible that the original leak was from someone associated with the game to begin with and it never shows up in the movie at all. Of course there's all sorts of speculation about what the compass does. But it's just that, speculation. There was no information in the original report about it's function. Just that he has a compass and a red crystal of some sort around his neck (which itself has been confirmed by some of the TLJ figures). Speculation about the crystal has mostly been that it is the kyber crystal from his father's light saber.

Last edited:
  • 1Picard

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
It might confirm that he possess it in the movie, which was a Making Star Wars reported leak from earlier in the year. I think it's possible that the original leak was from someone associated with the game to begin with and it never shows up in the movie at all. Of course there's all sorts of speculation about what the compass does. But it's just that, speculation. There was no information in the original report about it's function. Just that he has a compass and a red crystal of some sort around his neck (which itself has been confirmed by some of the TLJ figures). Speculation about the crystal has mostly been that it is the kyber crystal from his father's light saber.

I wouldn't considsr him maybe having a box that might do something as much of a spoiler/leak.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Yeah, I thought the same. I mean even if it does play a significant part of the movie, there's no context for it to matter.

Its like Jack sparrows compass. It being leaked/rumored that he has a compass that points "somewhere" may be a huge plot point, but before you see the movie is just nonsense

• 1Like

Royal

Yeah, I thought the same. I mean even if it does play a significant part of the movie, there's no context for it to matter.

That's true. Which is why I never really mentioned it before now in spite of it having come up quite some time ago. There was really nothing to indicate that, even if true, it has any significance at all or if it was just something they threw in as part of Luke's gear for visual interest. But having it show up in the game and end up being the objective for one of Luke's missions as a jedi artifact that the Emperor decided to hide rather than destroy would mean it has some sort of importance (though granted it may be important within the game and not the movie).