Star Wars: Stand Alone Movie (Not Episode 7)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Blakkheim

Karazhan Raider
might as well start a separate thread now I guess:

Gareth Edwards and Gary Whitta Onboard for Star Wars Stand-Alone Film
http://starwars.com/news/gareth-edwa...lone-film.html

In addition to the episodes of a new Star Wars trilogy, Lucasfilm and Disney have begun development on multiple stand-alone movies that will offer new stories beyond the core Saga. Gareth Edwards will direct the first stand-alone film, with a screenplay by Gary Whitta. The film is due out December 16, 2016.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
The guy who directed Godzilla and a dude who is best known for editing a video game magazine? Not sure about this.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Sounds like they are doing the same thing they did with Marvel. Have a bunch of movies with different characters all in the same universe with crossover.

Iwazaru_sl

shitlord
To be honest, if they put the same time and effort into making them as good as Marvel movies, I'm not going to care that they are milking it.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Come on guys... they have to get some story lines out there so they can ruin them with video games.

Dioblaire

And now my Watch has ended...
<Donor>
To be honest, if they put the same time and effort into making them as good as Marvel movies, I'm not going to care that they are milking it.
Seriously this. There hasn't been a bad Marvel movie once they started making them with the Avengers in mind. I am optimistic at this point.

It also helps that Lucas won't have shit to do with them
smile.png

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yeah, IMO Lucas was behind all that was fail about Star Wars past the fist two movies. Fuck, it cant get any worse, IMO. There has been so much lore written in the Star Wars universe by now and its such a good (good vs evil) premise that this is just begging to be exploited. And if they do it right this could turn it around for star Wars once and for all.

Szlia

It has the potential to result in some great movies. The main trilogies movies are forced to be these grand epic adventures where the fate of everything and everyone is in the balance. Stand alone movies can be anything. Anything. The brand is the universe, so you don't even have to do the Jabba movie and the Bobba Fett movie and the youth of Han Solo movie.

It will probably end up in family comedies about Gungans and Ewoks, but the potential is here. And I am not even a Star Wars fan.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I think they said previously that these standalone movies could take place at any point in the timeline. But I would never expect anything to do with TOR.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
if I remember correctly, the EU isn't canon thing was mostly about EU stories post RotJ. They didn't want to be bound by those stories as some of them are kind of a mess timeline wise. I don't really think anything before the movie era got touched much, so the 30,000 years worth of stories are still there.

also... I would LOVE to see a character that was similar to Kreia in these new movies. a character that REALLY blurred the lines between good and evil and made you doubt the validity of the light side = good and the dark side = bad mentality. that mentality works for a simple story about an idealistic farm boy fighting against imperialism but it just becomes overly static when you look at it in any kind of larger frame of reference.

one of my favorite lines in the kotor 2 is when some begger asks for a handout. kreia asks you what you should do and you tell her that the light side is about helping out those who are unable to help themselves and you should give him money that you don't need. She instantly berates you for feeding the cycle of helplessness in him and keeping him from gaining the will to earn the money himself. that in and of itself is bad for society and therefor it's an evil act. So then you're like, fine old woman, he doesn't get my money. so she scoffs at you for being insensitive to the plight of the needy. it was a 5 minute dialogue that completely changed my perspective on light vs dark side.

Blakkheim

Karazhan Raider
So wouldn't this technically be considered episode 8? Or would we need to come up with a new series order to keep track of these? Sounds like they have multiple stand alone movies in mind.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I really want the first stand alone to be about Boba Fett.