Stephen King's The Dark Tower

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
0.67 star(s) Rating: 0.67/5 3 Votes
Title: The Dark Tower

Tagline: There are other worlds than these

Genre: Action, Fantasy, Science Fiction, Western

Director: Nikolaj Arcel

Cast: Idris Elba, Matthew McConaughey, Tom Taylor, Claudia Kim, Fran Kranz, Abbey Lee, Jackie Earle Haley, Katheryn Winnick, Dennis Haysbert, Michael Barbieri, José Zúñiga, Alex McGregor, Nicholas Hamilton, De-Wet Nagel, Nicholas Pauling, Eva Kaminsky, Robbie McLean, Matthew Thomson, Karl Thaning, Lemogang Tsipa, Robert Whitehead, Leeanda Reddy, Kenneth Fok, Charlize Churcher, Victoria Nowak, Ben Gavin, Sara Cicilian, Lara Adine Lipschitz, Ella Gabriel, Jabari Gray, Paul Riley Fox, Adison Eisenberg, Mark Elderkin, Joe Vaz, Christopher Stein, Andre Robinson, Alfredo Narciso, Dan Hirst, Naomi Poremba, Savana Tardieu, Zak Rowlands, Christiaan Schoombie, Dominique Danielle, David Casper Smith, Keci Eatock, Jake Greenlee, Jay-Jay Botha, Marmee Cosico, Bill Walters, Samantha Willoughby

Release: 2017-08-03

Runtime: 95

Plot: The last Gunslinger, Roland Deschain, has been locked in an eternal battle with Walter O’Dim, also known as the Man in Black, determined to prevent him from toppling the Dark Tower, which holds the universe together. With the fate of the worlds at stake, good and evil will collide in the ultimate battle as only Roland can defend the Tower from the Man in Black.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
[CONTAINER][POSTER]View attachment 92240[/POSTER][MOVIE]Title: The Dark Tower (2017)

Genre: [GENRE]Western[/GENRE], [GENRE]Science Fiction[/GENRE], [GENRE]Fantasy[/GENRE], [GENRE]Horror[/GENRE]

Director: [DIRECTOR]Nikolaj Arcel[/DIRECTOR]

Cast: [ACTOR]Abbey Lee[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Matthew McConaughey[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Idris Elba[/ACTOR]

Release Date: [RELEASE]2017-02-15[/RELEASE]

Runtime: [RUNTIME]0[/RUNTIME]

Plot: Gunslinger Roland Deschain roams an Old West-like landscape in search of a dark tower, in the hopes that reaching it will preserve his dying world.[/MOVIE][/CONTAINER]

looks like they found another director
THE DARK TOWER Eying Nikolaj Arcel to Direct | Nerdist
Good news, Stephen King fans: Deadline has reported that Media Rights Capital and Sony Pictures are going to try and strike a deal with Danish writer/director Nikolaj Arcel to helm the first part of their adaptation of The Dark Tower series. Cinephiles may recognize Arcel as the man who wrote the Swedish adaptation of The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo and, directed the film The Royal Affair, which was nominated for the Best Foreign Film Oscar. Securing a director will be yet another battle won in the long war of The Dark Tower adaptation.

At a time when George R.R. Martin was still trying to get his science fiction novels published, before J.K. Rowling had even dreamed of a boy wizard with a scar, Stephen King was publishing the first part of his multi-part fantasy epic, The Dark Tower. A strange story about an other-worldly gunslinger named Roland Deschain trying to put a stop to inter-dimensional turmoil, the series was a major departure from the norm for King. It took 30 years for King to publish the 8 books in the series, and has even hinted that he?s not quite done yet.

While Rowling?s Harry Potter series saw quick and massive commercial success as both books and films, and Martin?s A Song Of Ice And Fire series awaiting its next novel despite Game Of Thrones forging on ahead anyway, King has had a bit more hardship with adapting his series. Since 2007, the series has bounced from studio to studio in an attempt to find funding and production for an adaptation that would incorporate several films as well as a television series. MRC has been clinging to the distribution rights ever since Warner Bros. passed on the project in 2012. The recent addition of Sony Pictures and subsequent hunt for a director are all signs that this could finally happen.

Are you excited to see The Dark Tower series come to life? Think Nikolaj Arcel would be a good choice? Let us know in the comments below.
i still think they need to adapt The Talisman before they ever make a Dark Tower movie, this way it sets everyone up for the Territories.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
i9GUSgddIqrroubiLsvvMRYyRy0.jpg

Title: The Dark Tower

Tagline: There are other worlds than these

Genre: Action, Fantasy, Science Fiction, Western

Director: Nikolaj Arcel

Cast: Idris Elba, Matthew McConaughey, Tom Taylor, Claudia Kim, Fran Kranz, Abbey Lee, Jackie Earle Haley, Katheryn Winnick, Dennis Haysbert, Michael Barbieri, José Zúñiga, Alex McGregor, Nicholas Hamilton, De-Wet Nagel, Nicholas Pauling, Eva Kaminsky, Robbie McLean, Matthew Thomson, Karl Thaning, Lemogang Tsipa, Robert Whitehead, Leeanda Reddy, Kenneth Fok, Charlize Churcher, Victoria Nowak, Ben Gavin, Sara Cicilian, Lara Adine Lipschitz, Ella Gabriel, Jabari Gray, Paul Riley Fox, Adison Eisenberg, Mark Elderkin, Joe Vaz, Christopher Stein, Andre Robinson, Alfredo Narciso, Dan Hirst, Naomi Poremba, Savana Tardieu, Zak Rowlands, Christiaan Schoombie, Dominique Danielle, David Casper Smith, Keci Eatock, Jake Greenlee, Jay-Jay Botha, Marmee Cosico, Bill Walters, Samantha Willoughby

Release: 2017-08-03

Runtime: 95

Plot: The last Gunslinger, Roland Deschain, has been locked in an eternal battle with Walter O’Dim, also known as the Man in Black, determined to prevent him from toppling the Dark Tower, which holds the universe together. With the fate of the worlds at stake, good and evil will collide in the ultimate battle as only Roland can defend the Tower from the Man in Black.

View attachment 92240

Brad2770

I have only read the Talisman and loved it. I really need to read this series.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
talisman was so incredible, i think it got me into MMORPGs. i think the movie order should be Talisman, The Eyes of the Dragon, The Stand and then Dark Tower.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
I enjoyed the first three Dark Tower books, especially the first one, "The Gunslinger" and the third one, "The Waste Lands." I thought the story kind of fell apart after the third book, and I haven't even read the last two.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I enjoyed the first three Dark Tower books, especially the first one, "The Gunslinger" and the third one, "The Waste Lands." I thought the story kind of fell apart after the third book, and I haven't even read the last two.
wolves of the calla is actually very enjoyable, its basically what should have been book 4, wizard and glass is a good book, it just sucks because it postpones the progress of the story and king took his fucking time in doing so.
the wasteland was published 1991
wizard and glass 1997
Wolves of the calla 2003

to be fair there was a very small bit of progress in W&G, but 95% of it was a flashback so we had to wait 12 fucking years for the story to really continue. then add that king was run over by a car and almost died in 99 so it looked like we may never get another story ever. some of you guys who complain that GRR Martin is taking too long with a new ASoFaI novel have nothing on us DT fans. i was following this series since 86 and it took 18 more years for it to complete and it was not a good payoff.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
wolves of the calla is actually very enjoyable, its basically what should have been book 4, wizard and glass is a good book, it just sucks because it postpones the progress of the story and king took his fucking time in doing so.
the wasteland was published 1991
wizard and glass 1997
Wolves of the calla 2003

to be fair there was a very small bit of progress in W&G, but 95% of it was a flashback so we had to wait 12 fucking years for the story to really continue. then add that king was run over by a car and almost died in 99 so it looked like we may never get another story ever. some of you guys who complain that GRR Martin is taking too long with a new ASoFaI novel have nothing on us DT fans. i was following this series since 86 and it took 18 more years for it to complete and it was not a good payoff.
I thought the story of young Roland and Susan Delgado in W&G was one of the best stories King has written- and I've read most of what he's written.

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
Try to get ahold of the original version of The Gunslinger if you're starting it. It's a god damn classic, but I heard the later editions got Lucased a little bit.

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
Try to get ahold of the original version of The Gunslinger if you're starting it. It's a god damn classic, but I heard the later editions got Lucased a little bit.
Yeah they were revised after the last book. I wonder if they'll make a movie of the last book, and if they'll have king playing himself, and if he'll also apologize for the ending just before it ends, as in the book.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
I don't even remember how many people wound up being Flagg, and that's just counting the DT books. He was a busy walkin dude.

He wasn't MIB/Martin or the Crimson King, right? Just... everyone else.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I don't even remember how many people wound up being Flagg, and that's just counting the DT books. He was a busy walkin dude.

my memory is shaky on this because he does get around, but i think flagg is randall flagg/merlyn/ageless stranger and other names with the RF initials, such as raymond fiegler.

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>

Yes he was Marten Broadcloak and the man in black too. But not the crimson king.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Yes he was Marten Broadcloak and the man in black too. But not the crimson king.
that was retconned, used to be separate people
Randall Flagg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Marten Broadcloak, a wizard who conspires with the Crimson King to cause the fall of the Dark Tower. In the original Marten is a separate person from Walter, who is also not known to be Flagg, but Marten and Walter are ret-conned into one character in later editions. In the original edition Walter speaks derisively of Marten, implying Marten would not be able to handle the vision that Walter showed Roland.

I thought the story of young Roland and Susan Delgado in W&G was one of the best stories King has written- and I've read most of what he's written.
Wizard and glass was the best book in the series. But I could understand why people who started reading it before it was finished would have some issues with it.

For those who read talisman you should read black house as well. Not as good but still was immensely entertaining.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database