Stephen King's "The Long Walk"

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
You know everybody is going to call this a Hunger Games ripoff!

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
This is one of Stephen King's best, but I don't know how you turn this into a feature film. They're going to have to add filler to make this come out even close to 90 min, and I don't know if I trust anyone in Hollywood to add relevant material that doesn't water down the story.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
This is one of Stephen King's best, but I don't know how you turn this into a feature film. They're going to have to add filler to make this come out even close to 90 min, and I don't know if I trust anyone in Hollywood to add relevant material that doesn't water down the story.

Just got to pad it with many scenes of contestants going to the sidelines to dry hump spectators while being threatened at gunpoint to keep walking

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Rime

<Donor>
Probably my favorite of King's works, though it could be due to having read it around the age of the contestants, so it really stuck with me.

At one point, Frank Darabont had the rights to it and was going to do something with it, but I guess that is no longer the case. Shame. I really enjoyed his adaptation of the Mist.

• 3Like

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
The fuck? How the hell is Stephen King taking credit for this?

Richard Bachman wrote this, not King.

saitama.jpg

Don't get me wrong, I love King's writings: I read From A Buick 8 once a year, and I've been meaning to read Thinner, but this just doesn't seem right for him to be getting credit like this. What; did King ghostwrite portions of it for Bachman or something?

• 8Worf
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 8 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member

View attachment 208648

Don't get me wrong, I love King's writings: I read From A Buick 8 once a year, and I've been meaning to read Thinner, but this just doesn't seem right for him to be getting credit like this. What; did King ghostwrite portions of it for Bachman or something?

• 2Picard
  • 2Worf
  • 1Seriously?
Reactions: 4 users

faille

Molten Core Raider

View attachment 208648

not sure if serious...

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Worf

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
Of course I was trolling

Big tip off was I mentioned I wanted to read Thinner which was published under the Bachman pseudonym

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Could be a great film IF they stay focused on dialog and character interaction and make "the contest" the backdrop for the story rather than making it the story itself. The audience needs to be eased into the gravity of the situation instead of thrown into it. This will allow the tension to slowly build while the full story begins to dawn on the audience (something the book did really well).

If they try to make it some kind of sprawling hunger games bullshit it will fail out of the gate. The concept of a contest like that was actually pretty novel when it was written, but nobody is going to be impressed with the concept alone these days.

It's a good opportunity to tell a story about the relationships that form when a group of strangers is thrust into a crazy life or death situation. If that's the story they tell, the movie could be fantastic.

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Could be a great film IF they stay focused on dialog and character interaction and make "the contest" the backdrop for the story rather than making it the story itself. The audience needs to be eased into the gravity of the situation instead of thrown into it. This will allow the tension to slowly build while the full story begins to dawn on the audience (something the book did really well).

If they try to make it some kind of sprawling hunger games bullshit it will fail out of the gate. The concept of a contest like that was actually pretty novel when it was written, but nobody is going to be impressed with the concept alone these days.

It's a good opportunity to tell a story about the relationships that form when a group of strangers is thrust into a crazy life or death situation. If that's the story they tell, the movie could be fantastic.
i can imagine the trailer, kids walking along a road full of land mines, shit exploding everywhere. some evil white dude who runs the Games Network (named Killian) cackling while the whole thing is televised for a bunch of popcorn munching couch potatoes on the Freevee. this eventually leads to the sequel called The Running Man!

• 1Barf

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
Keep it dark, gritty, and rated R, add some decent filler, and it will never be compared to Hunger Games.

We already know this isn't going to happen that way though right? I'd love a good version of this on screen, but been disappointed too many times, especially with King movies.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Keep it dark, gritty, and rated R, add some decent filler, and it will never be compared to Hunger Games.

We already know this isn't going to happen that way though right? I'd love a good version of this on screen, but been disappointed too many times, especially with King movies.

Ya keep dreaming

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Ya keep dreaming
well King's movie adaption track record is really scattershot. sometimes you get a Darabont, Reiner, Carpenter or a Romero and sometimes you get a "directed by Stephen King" . it all depends on the roll of the dice. i would like this to lead into a possible trilogy with a better adaption of The Running man. both movies can easily tie together. and fuck that Hunger Games bullshit. that movie was a ripoff of a ripoff of The Running Man anyway.

• 1Like

gak

<Gold Donor>
Long walk, Rage, Running Man, so much goodness when I was a kid.

In this SJW virtue-signaling world I immediately assume they're going to ruin it...

r.gif

• 1Picard
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Most of Kings adaptations have been great besides the dark tower. Maximum overdrive is a classic so don't even try to say that shit

• 3Like

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
They have run the gamut from great to really terrible, but when there's been nearly 50 movies made from your books that's going to happen.

I think this has been posted before, but it's pretty insane how many movies have been adapted from King's work.

Every Stephen King Movie Ranked, From Worst To Best

• 1Like