Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused to Sing

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I know this has been leaked for a while, but this is one of those artists who I respect enough that I waited until yesterday to buy the album. Steven Wilson does it again. This dude is just so damn talented. I feel the musicianship on this particular album is the best yet. I prefer Marco Minnemann over Gavin Harrison for sure as surprising as that is to type out. I have no idea how Mike Mangini got the Dream Theater gig over him. One of the best drummers I've ever heard.

Very well done video from the title track. Obviously the most mellow track on the album, but it's still grade-A Steven Wilson.

Saladus

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Production is amazing on this one, maybe one of the best. And yea, drummer is just amazing. Wouldn't mind Wilson just sticking it out with this group of musicians for a while. And he needs to pump out more music videos like this and Drag Ropes.

xKALECx

Golden Knight of the Realm
I've been a PT fan for years, and have been a day 1 purchaser of all of Wilson's solo work and other projects (Blackfield, etc..). First listen of this album was actually too much. I had to stop listening and wait until I had time to sit down and really take it all in. There's just so much shit going on in every song, and I say this in a good way. He's definitely stepped it up another notch, as if that was even possible.

darkseid_sl

shitlord
I think this is one of his best albums to date.

And if the unthinkable happens, and Porcupine Tree disband, I wouldn't be so sad, if this is what we can come to expect from his solo work.

xKALECx

Golden Knight of the Realm
As a musician and overall admirer of great music, I must say this may be the best album I've heard in 15+ years. There's just so much going on musically. How someone captures this much talent on one album amazes me. Steven Wilson just may be the best composer/producer of progressive rock ever.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
The more I listen to this album the harder I get. It's very good. Steven Wilson's best work yet. I'm looking forward to the show at the Fillmore in May very much.

Seventh

Golden Squire
Absolutely fantastic album. Brilliant songwriting, incredible mix, and he actually got Guthrie to play tastefully.

For you NY folks, he's actually playing with Opeth in April. I'm hitting the Berklee show (no Opeth) the night before in Boston.

Saladus

Gonna be going to a show in April, but just discovered Marco won't be on the tour during the U.S., and will instead be replaced by Chad Wackerman. Huge bummer for me, regardless of how good this guy may be, Marco's skill was a HUGE part of this last album.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I agree. I'll be going to the show in May. Was hoping it would be the exact album lineup, but it's not like this guy is going to be a slouch. This show is going to be top notch regardless.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist

Sploosh.gif

Three weeks until my mind is blown.

Seventh

Golden Squire
I went to this show at Berklee last night and holy fucking shit was it INCREDIBLE. One of the best live shows I've ever seen - absolutely fantastic.

Gonna be going to a show in April, but just discovered Marco won't be on the tour during the U.S., and will instead be replaced by Chad Wackerman. Huge bummer for me, regardless of how good this guy may be, Marco's skill was a HUGE part of this last album.
Marco was there last night, so that may have changed.

Saladus

Oh yea I forgot to post here, saw him Friday in NYC and I have the same opinion, one of the BEST shows I've ever seen. The level of talent between all those guys is amazing. I was thrilled to see Marco there, and had I read a day or two earlier that he was back with the tour as Chad Wackerman had family issues to tend to. So regardless of how well Chad may have covered things, it was still a real treat to see Marco just tearing shit up. The sound quality was absolutely amazing as well. Only hiccup during the whole show was this bullshit that happened, otherwise it was just a flawless performance, and the crowd was great as well.

Seventh

Golden Squire
He actually and mentioned the nonsense from the night before when he introduced that song. To paraphrase, something along the lines of: "This is a lengthy piece of music with some long pauses. I'd just like to mention that they aren't moments for audience participation. I don't care if you're from New Hampshire."

Berklee is a pretty awesome place to see a show, because not only is it a great sounding room, but the audience was super respectful of the performers.