Stoker

Fedor

<Banned>
Park Chan-wook's American directorial debut.

After India's father dies, her Uncle Charlie, who she never knew existed, comes to live with her and her unstable mother. She comes to suspect this mysterious, charming man has ulterior motives and becomes increasingly infatuated with him.
IMDb - Stoker

IMDb - Chan-wook Park

Park Chan-wook's other movies:

Rotten Tomatoes - J.S.A.: Joint Security Area

Rotten Tomatoes - Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance

Rotten Tomatoes - Oldboy

Rotten Tomatoes - Lady Vengeance

Rotten Tomatoes - I'm a Cyborg, But That's OK

Rotten Tomatoes - Thirst

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
Got around to watching this, loved it.

I'm sad to see there's no discussion about it around here.

nu_11

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Pretty good movie; Mr. Park first asian director to not make a disappointing debut western movie?

Szlia

Pretty good movie; Mr. Park first asian director to not make a disappointing debut western movie?
Was Ang Lee's Sense and Sensibility disappointing?

Because John Woo's Hard Target, Ronny Yu's Warriors of Virtue, Tsui Hark's Double Team, Takeshi Kitano's Brother, Wong Kar Wai's My Blueberry Nights, Hideo Nakata's The Ring Two, Takashi Shimizu's The Grudge were disappointing...

To these american disappointing debuts you can add some french ones, Hou Hsiao Hsien's Flight of the Red Baloon, Lou Ye's Love and Bruises, Tsai Ming Liang's Visage...

You might have put your finger on something, even if I am surely missing some.

Now, if you use the textbook definition of Asia, there are a couple iranian directors that made very good french films: Abbas Kiarostami's Certified Copy and very recently, Asghar Farhadi's The Past.

Szlia

That's imdb-assisted knowledge though. Like... rereading my post I remember there are these two thai brothers that had several horror movie successes, the Pang brothers. That make them prime candidates for the Hollywood experience. From there it's imdb: they made several international co-productions (including the Nicolas Cage version of Bankok Dangerous and The Messengers, a horror movie with Kristen Stewart), but the earliest seems to be The Tesseract in 2003 (shot and set in Bangkok though).

On top of that, everyone has their areas of expertise: mine are international art-house movies and asian movies (but I have seen like... five or six westerns at most!). And still I don't hold a candle to Sean when it comes to japanese animation or to Fedor when it comes to korean cinema and Isengard certainly sounds like a heavy wait when art house is concerned!