Stormlight Archive ( Released Spoilers )

Mythas 5thboardnow

Silver Knight of the Realm
So I thought it would be nice to see discussion specifically about this series now that book two is

I'll agree with another poster that said it was sad that no one really died. Jasnah is with wit (hoid) so I'm sure she will find a way back to urithu.

I feel like a brief overview of all of these new "secret societies" could have been warranted. It seems like all of these sub groups are so far ahead of the game they are operating on common knowledge that every one is just figuring it out.

I also want to say I ducking called it on kaladin using a shard spear. Yes I know technically it isn't just a spear but...

Ko Dokomo_sl

shitlord
The secret societies aren't too bad, it's more about the mystery of their true goals.

Sons of Honor: Wants to bring the Voidbringers back (maybe) in order to bring back the good of men. Of course, bad people serve the group, because ends justify means. Members include Brightlord Amaram.

Ghostbloods: Led by some guy named Thaidakar who Gavilar knew about. Shallan's brother was part of their group, and he was probably blackmailing her father. Kasbal and Tyn wanted Jasnah Kholin dead. They are opposed to the Sons of Honor. Don't know their real purpose.

The Diagram: Led at times by King Taravignian with a lot of help from Lieutenants. Focused on a genius plan to destroy and recreate the political landscape to save Roshar. Ends justify the means again. Unknown if the other two societies know of them, but Moash and Graves ended up working for them.

I personally loved the Jasnah appeared right at the end. I went through about 1/2 of the book thinking she was going to get ressed in a lame way and then she just teleports near Wit for a quickie appearance. I imagine every book will have an epilogue where Wit waxes about humanity only for someone to show up unexpectedly. If I were a more inquisitive reader though, I would have seen it coming. Jasna had stated that she and Shallan were of different orders, so the only other order with Soulcasting is the Elsecallers and their other surgebinding is of course Elsecalling. Which basically means Jasnah can travel to Shadesmar in the flesh, and not via cognition like Shallan. I imagine a reread of the prologue has some subtle clues about how Jasnah actually leaves the Material Plane.

I also imagine every book is going to have a prologue with a different POV about Gavilar's assassination. I imagine Adolin/Elhokar/Navani/Aesudan/Eshonai/King Taravingian/Gavilar will be POV's.

Vlett

Lord Nagafen Raider
Book 3 is going to be hilarious with Szeth running around with Nightblood
I won't expect much from Szeth in book 3. Unless you mean hilarious because the sword seems to have more personality than him? I agree. We were just given insight into a lot of information regarding his "new" role. If this Universe is really supposed to span over 10 books (I think I remember this from somewhere?) we can foresee some filler before Szeth is a badass again.

Nebuchadnezzar

Golden Squire
It feels a lot like the outline of Mistborn, just different powers.
Pretty much, but he does have the out that they're in the same dimension, all based on different slivers of the same power source. It was a good book, very readable like all of Sanderson's stuff, but I do think Kaladin's teleporter malfunction due to tachyons ionizing the atmosphere was some serious bullshit.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Where did Szeth's new sword get a name? I'm curious about the black smoke/flames though, seems similar to the crystal that Gavilar gave him which gave off black light. Was that ever explained?

Gask

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Where did Szeth's new sword get a name? I'm curious about the black smoke/flames though, seems similar to the crystal that Gavilar gave him which gave off black light. Was that ever explained?
The sword has no information pertaining to it within this series as far as I know, that said, some of his other books tie into his Cosmere universe and some characters make crossovers (Wit) and now this sword which is presumably from his other novel Warbreaker. Other references to crossovers might also be the murals and children's books of Earth's mammals; the lions and such that don't seem to exist in Stormlight. But who knows.

Gavilar's rock is a total mystery still as far as I know and hasn't been brought up since Szeth hid it somewhere.

Nehrak_sl

shitlord
The secret societies aren't too bad, it's more about the mystery of their true goals.

Sons of Honor: Wants to bring the Voidbringers back (maybe) in order to bring back the good of men. Of course, bad people serve the group, because ends justify means. Members include Brightlord Amaram.

Ghostbloods: Led by some guy named Thaidakar who Gavilar knew about. Shallan's brother was part of their group, and he was probably blackmailing her father. Kasbal and Tyn wanted Jasnah Kholin dead. They are opposed to the Sons of Honor. Don't know their real purpose.

The Diagram: Led at times by King Taravignian with a lot of help from Lieutenants. Focused on a genius plan to destroy and recreate the political landscape to save Roshar. Ends justify the means again. Unknown if the other two societies know of them, but Moash and Graves ended up working for them.

I personally loved the Jasnah appeared right at the end. I went through about 1/2 of the book thinking she was going to get ressed in a lame way and then she just teleports near Wit for a quickie appearance. I imagine every book will have an epilogue where Wit waxes about humanity only for someone to show up unexpectedly. If I were a more inquisitive reader though, I would have seen it coming. Jasna had stated that she and Shallan were of different orders, so the only other order with Soulcasting is the Elsecallers and their other surgebinding is of course Elsecalling. Which basically means Jasnah can travel to Shadesmar in the flesh, and not via cognition like Shallan. I imagine a reread of the prologue has some subtle clues about how Jasnah actually leaves the Material Plane.

I also imagine every book is going to have a prologue with a different POV about Gavilar's assassination. I imagine Adolin/Elhokar/Navani/Aesudan/Eshonai/King Taravingian/Gavilar will be POV's.
Couple corrections I wanted to point out, since I'm anal.

Sons of Honor: Their goals aren't spelled out, but you can infer a lot from this. What they're after is Vorin (and by extension, Alethi) dominance, obtained from the Heralds. To get that sanction, they felt they had to put the world into a crisis sufficient enough to have the Heralds return to Roshar to respond to it. As their plan involved the return of the Listeners' gods (return of the Voidbringers), Gavilar was assassinated. It seemed implied to me that Gavilar was the head of this (and succeeded by Restares). Another inference you can draw, is that Gavilar took the visions he got from the Stormfather -- the same ones his brother was receiving --in a completely different direction, by conspiring to become head of possibly church and state both; to "become the king of everything". (More on the Diagram below.)

Ghostbloods: Shallan's brother might not have been part of this group (I have to dig up the quotes again to be sure). He was bonded with a spren that gave him the same powers as a Skybreaker (see Taravangian's viewpoint), so presumably he found Nin/Nalan and become inducted into that sect.

The Diagram: As you basically said, a terrorist cell, but I got the impression that Gavilar was involved in it as well, if not jointly running it with him. It's very clear that Taravangian and Gavilar have been conspiring together to some extent. The one thing I'm not certain about is the timing of the "Day of the Diagram" with when Gavilar received his visions. Also, reading between the lines: they set Szeth up as a patsy from the start, including his being cast out as Truthless and getting the Windrunner Honorblade as part of that. They wanted an 'unstoppable' force to do their political dirtywork. I'm also very curious to know how Taravangian knows about Jasnah's powers, as well as Helaran Davar receiving his. Likely it's from his nigh-clairvoyant intellect. My personal theory is that on the day he did the Diagram, he received basically a snapshot of the entire world at that moment of time, and his obscene intellect let him predict the course of the future based on that massive dump of information.

Book 3: My money is on the focus being Dalinar, as far as flashbacks go, with Renarin and Jasnah tied for second. Jasnah would be the much more interesting choice, for me, given that we know so little about her progression with Ivory and as an Elsecaller, not to mention what other secrets she found out in Shadesmar that don't apply anymore.

Nebuchadnezzar

Golden Squire
Nightblood is in Warbreaker, so read that if you want to know more. Also some are saying Zayel(sp, the monk who taught them to fight Shardblades) might also be Vasher from Warbreaker. And Wit mentioned perfect pitch, which was one of abilities Breath in Warbreaker gave, so...yeah, if you haven't read it, might want to pick it up.

Kaio

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Book 3: My money is on the focus being Dalinar, as far as flashbacks go, with Renarin and Jasnah tied for second. Jasnah would be the much more interesting choice, for me, given that we know so little about her progression with Ivory and as an Elsecaller, not to mention what other secrets she found out in Shadesmar that don't apply anymore.
Sanderson has publicly stated that book three will be a Szeth book and Book five will be a Dalinar book. Based on his past writing patterns I'm guessing we'll see a healthy amount of Kaladin/Shalan/Dalanar pov's there to with a few doses of the other minor characters. I hope we don't get a lot of Renarin flashbacks as he seemed uninteresting until the dueling arena event.

Overall, I'm glad szeth is going to get more attention as there should be something interesting going on there and having a sword from a wholly different cosmere world should be interesting.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
So are you guys trying to say that Warbreaker takes place in the same world but apparently at a much earlier stage? I mean, it'd have to be a ton earlier for Nightblood to make a play, and even then I don't really see it being the same world. It really seems like a stretch to me.

What was Wit from?

Ko Dokomo_sl

shitlord
So are you guys trying to say that Warbreaker takes place in the same world but apparently at a much earlier stage? I mean, it'd have to be a ton earlier for Nightblood to make a play, and even then I don't really see it being the same world. It really seems like a stretch to me.

What was Wit from?
Warbreaker takes place in a different solar system. You can usually travel between them via Shadesmar. Wit/Hoid is a traveler between worlds by some other means.

Elantris (+Emperor's Soul), Warbreaker, Mistborn, Stormlight Archive all happen in the same galaxy on different planets. Travelling between planets is possible but very dangerous. The magic system of each planet is different, but compatible (ex: it would be possible, but very complicated, for a Mistborn to power his abilities using stormlight). Most of that information comes from fans interacting with Sanderson during signings, he's very open at sharing information as long as it does'nt spoil future books too much as for now he doesn't want to mix the stories too much inside the books proper.

There is a total of 36 main books planned by Sanderson in this Cosmere "saga" + short stories and smaller less important books (ex: Alloy of Law) as he comes up with ideas for them.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So all these worlds within this Cosmere have Humans, plus some other planet specific races? In Stormlight it really seems to me that the Humans came to Roshar, rather than being an native race, such as the Parshendi. What I find confusing at the moment are the various "otherwordly" characters on Roshar; Heralds, Wit, Odium / Almighty. What brought them to Roshar? Wit seems to be at odds with at least one other "otherworldy" type which we havent' seen on Roshar (I guess).

Ko Dokomo_sl

shitlord
Right, quick cosmere overview. There was once a force/god named Adonalsium. Something happened and he was broken into 16 shards embodying his cosmic power. They flew around the galaxy and landed on planets where they were taken up by people. Now, these 16 shards are NOT the shards we are talking about on Roshar. They are in essence the source of magic on each world. Beyond that there is very little we can nail down about the 16 shards. On Roshar there are three shards in play. Cultivation, Honor and Odium. We know that the bearer of Odium killed the bearer of Honor (the Almighty).

The Heralds are the servants of Honor. Why Honor appointed them and how the Oathpact was formed is a mystery, as well as why Odium was bound by it. We do know that Odium was active past Roshar and has splintered two other shards on a different world. Hoid is assumed to be the write of the letter that we get snippets of in both books, and it is assumed he is writing to another Shardbearer.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Read through some wiki's about this Cosmere setting Sanderson is writing in, and its pretty expansive. For instance, there are apparently three planets in the "Greater Roshar" solar system, each of those having (or had) a Shard. Interesting stuff.

Zyke

Silver Knight of the Realm
I enjoyed this one a lot. It makes me sad I'm gonna have to wait so long for the next one, but after reading this thread I think I need to go pick up Warbreaker to find out who that dude was at the end with Szeth. I've read most of his other books but haven't gotten that one yet. Since we're talking about the cosmere though - so does (did) the mistborn series have two shards then?

- MISTBORN SPOILER -

Or was it the one shard that broke into two and was reunited? That part's a bit confusing since the lore there had one god break into two, and then be reunited.

Also makes me wonder what Wit's goal is. He pops up in all these books but we really know next to nothing about him, his goals, or who he works with.

Kaio

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Yes, the shards there were Ruin and Preservation.

It wasn't one god broken up into two but rather two gods that got together to become harmony at the end of the Mistborn series.

They are each a part of the 16 shards of the original being.